Pity Squeezebox only runs on slimserver what are my other options

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I was just about to buy logitech squeezebox based on the review in new techonolgy 2008 issue but found out it runs only with slimserver that means my pc should be on all the time. I have a Lacie NAS and was hoping to connect to squeezebox but no luck !

What other options I have I don't want to have my pc on all the time, does Roku support NAS I couldn't find much details? Also does Roku Soundbridge sound as good as squeezebox or there are other option? sound quality is of utmost important it's a pity I really like the looks of squeezebox and multi meter screensave I wish if they support NAS.

BreatheEasy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I've got a Lacie too and in the same position.

Sonos is the obvious choice and after Christmas rush/money pit I'll probably be going down that line - it'll use the NAS without needing the PC needing to be left on.

The techy-geek side in me is thinking of a small PC (or maybe Mac Mini) that I can leave running to run the SlimServer application. I've seen some tiny boxes that'll run off a compact flash card (tinytuxbox.com for example) that'll draw 5 watts (ie not much at all) and connect to my network.

Some NAS boxes will run the SlimServer software - Infrant do if I remember correctly.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks breatheasy for suggestions, I looked at tinytuxbox interesting stuff but wondering if it worth spending another 200 just to run squeezebox. Why can't they support apple or MS media server! which runs on lacie NAS.

A

Anonymous

I see what you are saying, but you can't get more flexible than SlimServer - it will run on almost any OS you can think of (with the right effort).

I have slimserver installed on a Buffallo LinkStation NAS box - works a treat although it was fiddly to set up. I know other people have got other NAS units working as well, and you might be able to do it on the Lacie with patience, time and the right Linux knowledge.

Or you can buy NAS servers with Slimserver ready installed - eg Q-Nap.

If this is the way you want to go, and you are comfortable with Linux I would look at buying a LinkStation (NAS ones I think are about £120 these days) and selling the Lacie to minimise your losses.

Stick with it - it will be worth it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts