Pioneer VSX-2020 or Onkyo TX-NR708

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Both seem to be about the same price and the same capabilities. Pioneer uses the same technology as the bigger model LX-53, I've read somewhere. But what about the Onkyo? Can anyone confirm that the 808 is a step up? (there's a topic on this forum about this)

Pioneer has iPod/iPhone remote control but as I have neither of those, it doesn't give any added value for me...

And which one does best video upscaling?

I'm thinking about the combination with Q-Acoustics series 2000 speaker set, using the 2050's as front. Is this any good ?

I'd use them for surround but also for stereo, with a variety of music genres...

Thanks

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the site. Of the 2 amps you'vementioned I would say that the Pioneer is the one to go for. However the Onkyo 808 is on a price level with the Pioneer VSX2020 and then I would think it's a very close call along with the Yamaha RXV1067...

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I've got an LX53 (very similar to the 2020), and have Q-Acoustics 1050 floorstanders left/right plus a 2000C Centre speaker (plus KEF surrounds/rear). The sound quality is amazing - even my wife agreed that the amp upgrade was worthwhile (from a 7yo Pioneer VSX-D2010). Sound and vision are all through HDMI (6 inputs and two outputs on the 2020, same as LX53). DTS-HD Master Audio from Blu-rays and SACDs are superb. I bought the Ole Bull pure audio blu-ray (see WHFSV report on Cambridge Audio BD650 Azur Blu-ray player) to demo the system and the results are extremely good. Standard CDs are excellent (the new Badly Drawn Boy and older Prince "best of" are cracking) I am going back through my CD collection again, as the speakers and amp have given a new lease of life to them all. Plus you can have "virtual" 9.1 sound with extra high or wide front speakers from the Pioneer's extra two speaker outputs (this weekend's job!)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

grdunn123:Of the 2 amps you'vementioned I would say that the Pioneer is the one to go for. However the Onkyo 808 is on a price level with the Pioneer VSX2020 and then I would think it's a very close call along with the Yamaha RXV1067...Why's the Pioneer the one to go for? Onkyo was awarded twice Best Value here (although with a marginally difference)?

I was rather tempted to choose the Onkyo, as that one has an analog multichannel audio input which I could use to connect my DVD/SACD player. My player (Philips DVP-5500S) has a digital output, but I don't think the SACD will pass on that. However, I rarely use it (I only have a few SACD's) and could live with only stereo.

Actually, the Pioneer 2020 is about the same price as the Onkyo 708 on amazon.de

Another question: is it worth to buy the Q-Acoustics 2050 speakers or will the 2020 do fine as fronts?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd be dubious about buying Onkyo from a third party website, as it's not something allowed in dealer agreements in this country, Also, products bought from overseas companies will only hold a warranty in their country of origin.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
geevh:
Thanks for the replies.

grdunn123:Of the 2 amps you'vementioned I would say that the Pioneer is the one to go for. However the Onkyo 808 is on a price level with the Pioneer VSX2020 and then I would think it's a very close call along with the Yamaha RXV1067...Why's the Pioneer the one to go for? Onkyo was awarded twice Best Value here (although with a marginally difference)?

I was rather tempted to choose the Onkyo, as that one has an analog multichannel audio input which I could use to connect my DVD/SACD player. My player (Philips DVP-5500S) has a digital output, but I don't think the SACD will pass on that. However, I rarely use it (I only have a few SACD's) and could live with only stereo.

Actually, the Pioneer 2020 is about the same price as the Onkyo 708 on amazon.de

Another question: is it worth to buy the Q-Acoustics 2050 speakers or will the 2020 do fine as fronts?

Where has the Onkyo 708 received 'Best Value' ?

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
geevh:
Thanks for the replies.

A

Anonymous

grdunn123:

It doesn't, but the 608 and 808 have

By the way, I'm Belgian so I'm not buying overseas...

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Not heard the recent Onkyos but have heard the 2020. By all accounts it is the LX53 without the WiFi dongle.

It did have a great cinematic sound but seemed to need to be turned up quite high. It had a detailed sound but, and this is quite hard to explain, none of it seemed solid, in a way that white noise seems less solid than a pure tone. That makses it sound bad but it wasn't necessarily, just a different sound.

Thought music was OK, but I found it didn't keep rhythms quite as well as I was used to, and the bass just seemed to lack impact, mainly due to tha less solid sound I think.

This was with a Pioneer BD player and B&W MT-30.

Ultimately I decided that the extra outlay above a £400 - 500 amp wasn't worth it, but I'd have a listen to yourself to decide. You may just like the sound of one over the other, but based on your speakers I'de fefinitely also consider cheaper options.

A

Anonymous

Hi there, I currently own a Sony DA2400es amp with B&W XT8, XTC and XT2 setup (kef HTB2 sub, Panasonic V20 plasma tv and panasonic bluray). I am thinking of upgrading my amp and saw your posts. I can get hold of a Pioneer 2020 for approx £695 and the LX53 for £110GBP more. Some of the reasons for wanting to upgrade are: lack of ARC HDMI on current Amp, volume control is cumbersome/annoying, music sounds good only when you turn it up quite high and surround ain't fantastic. Is this upgrade worthy of the speaker setup or should I be looking at different makes (eg Onkyo, Yamaha, etc)?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts