Pioneer PL12D or new Project Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2M Silver?

Welcome to the forum. You will need to repost your original post by replying to one of the above posts. They often go missing. :)

I can only agree with KeithT, the PL12 D, though very good for the money at the time, is now easily bettered.

The Pro-ject will be a much better buy.

monster71

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

New member and first time poster on this forum.
Love the posts and the vast amount of knowledge available to everyone.
With that in mind I would like to seek your advice on this subject?

My current setup is as follows:-

Pioneer PL12D Turntable with Ortofon 2M Red or AT95e
Nad 3020e Amp
Pioneer DV757 SACD/Dvd Audio
Dali Zensor 1 Speakers
Chord Sarsen Speaker Cable

To me it sounds pretty great for a low cost setup. The sound from the PL12D
is warm and the detail and soundstage easily trump my cd player.

My dilemma is that the good lady as offered to buy me a new Project Debut Carbon
for Christmas. It comes with the new Ortofon 2M Silver cart which is basically a
2M red with silver interconnects.

My question is, would this be a considerable upgrade sound wise or would the money
be better spent elsewhere?

As much as a new turntable is appealing Im struggling to see how it could sound that
much better.

Just to add, my setup is in our lounge so nothing special location wise.

Many thanks in advance

Wayne

It's the generators that are silver-wound in the Ortofon and not the interconnects - supposedly a big improvement according to Pro-ject (as the Silver is solely theirs).

If you are happy with the sound you are getting from the PL12 D why not simply spend the money on a cartridge upgrade?

An Ortofon further up the price range should bring vast improvements over the basic Red.

Just a thought. :)

monster71

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
It's the generators that are silver-wound in the Ortofon and not the interconnects - supposedly a big improvement according to Pro-ject (as the Silver is solely theirs).

If you are happy with the sound you are getting from the PL12 D why not simply spend the money on a cartridge upgrade?

An Ortofon further up the price range should bring vast improvements over the basic Red.

Just a thought. :)

Yeah, upgrade seems like the popular choice....

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
When I first got into HiFi about 6m years ago :)rofl: ) the mantra then was "junk in - junk out" meaning that putting poor information through the amp & speakers wouldn't give you a great sound from a poor source and expensive front end; you'd be better off spending the cash on the source.

Realistically the same is still true today, though advances in technology now seem to have leveled the cash spend across the system.

Which doesn't solve your conundrum one bit, though I'd still improve the TT first and ask her to fund the amp/speakers next Xmas!

TRENDING THREADS