Pioneer Kuro

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
In the interest of balance and just to proof that nothing is perfect I'd like to make a few comments after using my lx5090 for a few weeks;

First of all, it is a very very good panel so the following has to be taken into context but it may be useful for anybody contemplating buying into the Kuro range;

Whilst black levels are approaching (but not entirely reaching) total black it is actually quite difficult to retain detail in dark sequences whilst preserving/not raising the sets black levels ie. making it look slightly grey. By doing so there's also a danger of making the picture look a tad washed out. The solution is simply to accept a tiny level (and it is tiny) of black crush.

Colours are superb.

Apparently the most correct gamma curve is achieved in movie setting. This has unfortunately also the effect of making everything look to warm. Extensive adjustments are needed to make the picture look neutral.

The panel lacks the punch and vivid picture of a good LCD set. It may be more natural but it can seem slightly dull in certain conditions and with certain programme material such as live sports and animated film material. It is not a tv that will show its best in bright conditions.

The glass screen sometimes looks like vaseline has been smeared on the inside (I'm of course overexhagerating greatly) but it does make certain high brightness scenes such as light blue sky sometimes appear with strange banding. I believe this has been called 'dirty screen' on a number of occasions on 9g owner forums.

It buzzes. Now before I go further into this I even heard lcd's buzz buth nevertheless, it can be audible with no power setting modes engaged. Use setting 2 and it dissappears. However, as was pointed out on another forum, this is also refresh rate dependant. Use 60/75hz programme and it is more obvious than with 100hz setting. This is most probably due to the single sheet glass pioneer use and is also highly directional. You can stand beside the set at a couple of feet and not hear anything. Sit right in line with the centre of the screen, even at 8ft, and it is possible to hear it faintly though not with normal programme content/volume. Not a big issue but something to be aware off nevertheless and not something you'd expect on a premium product such as this.

Do I like the Kuro?

Yes but I am waiting to look at some RGB LED backlit sets from Sharp/Sony and others. If they can obliterate some of the above flaws without introducing to many others I will put my Kuro up for sale. I might even go the pj route. Watch this space.

regards

A

Anonymous

Are you going to get it properly calibrated? I want to know if it's worth £300, many people seem to think so.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bennyben

If I keep the set then I will either do ISF or buy something like the Spider 3 or Eye One calibration tool. Perhaps lacking a couple of high-end cal features of an ISF but re-useable and apparently accurate.

I think I have a pretty good eye though and at present use the user settings with both High Red and Blue turned down -2 and -1 as they seem oversatured with colours set at 0 or slightly below. Personally I think colour set at minus 4 plus the above adjustments give the best results but we all like different things.

regards

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. £300 could go towards a much better blu ray player so i may go for one of the cheaper tools!

A

Anonymous

If you spend that much money on a Kuro TV then you should go one step further and get it calibrated by a professional. It's the best TV out there and deserves to shown at its best. Get it calibrated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts