Pioneer BDP-51FD - is there a better BD player for £270?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Getting fed up with my PS3's 'flat' BluRay picture - time for an upgrade!

I realise that the Pioneer BDP-51FD has just been discontinued &, therefore, an improved model is on the way. However, there are still some BDP-51FDs available for £270 - for this price, is there a better BluRay player available?

Ta.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Also looking for a worthwhile upgrade to the PS3 for Blu-ray duties... throwing flea bay into the mix, a '51FD recently went for £150... Denon's 2500BT going for around the £380 mark... would be interested on any comments pertaining to both players at those prices...

A

Anonymous

No, unless you're prepared to spend an extra £20.00 and go for a Panasonic DMP-BD80 instead.

Sliced Bread

margetti:Also looking for a worthwhile upgrade to the PS3 for Blu-ray duties... throwing flea bay into the mix, a '51FD recently went for £150... Denon's 2500BT going for around the £380 mark... would be interested on any comments pertaining to both players at those prices...
Hi,

Where is the Denon's 2500BT going for £380?

EDIT: Just realised you were referring to e-bay.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Don't WHFS&V? rate the Pioneer BDP-51FD as better than the Panasonic DMP-BD80 (which is also avlbl for £270)?

In what way(s) is the Pana superior to the Pioneer (aside from being slimmer)?

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Better picture and sound - and it's more musical than the Panasonic, if that matters to you. It's a superb player.

However, i'd seriously think of opting for a new-season player and get Profile 2.0, faster loading, DTS MA HD etc straight out of the box. Just my opinion, having seen the quality on offer from this year's crop.

We've a Supertest of sub-£300 Blu-ray players - including the Panasonics, new Sony and Pioneer BDP-320 - in our next issue, which will be with subscribers from this Friday and in shops by next Wednesday.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
...However, i'd seriously think of opting for a new-season player ... having seen the quality on offer from this year's crop.

We've a Supertest of sub-£300 Blu-ray players - including the Panasonics, new Sony and Pioneer BDP-320 - in our next issue, which will be with subscribers from this Friday and in shops by next Wednesday.

Ta for reply, but I can't wait 'til Wednesday!! (Childish, moi?)

Claire, any chance you folks could spill the beans re the test-winner on Friday, please?

Also, has there been a firmware upgrade for the Pioneer BDP-51FD re Profile 2.0 & DTS MA HD?

Thanks.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:Spill the beans? No chance - Clare would kill us!

Surely it'll be OK to spill the beans re the winner online on Friday, because subscribers will have their copies, hence, the info will be in the public domain? Please... (Also dropping a BIG hint to to the fine folks that are subscribers...!)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
emotion-16.gif

And we'll be watching...

(Mind you, you could always subscribe if you want such information early)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:...(Mind you, you could always subscribe if you want such information early)

Indeed I could, because my subscription to Autocar (& a past sub to F1 Racing) ALWAYS arrives prior to shops' onsale date - ho, ho!
emotion-5.gif

Anyway, badinage aside, reading between the lines, are you WHFS&V? staffers implying that the next issue's Supertest will reveal a new machine that raises the bar & usurps all others - incl the BDP-51FD - in the sub-£300 sector?

Also, what is the significance of 'Profile 2.0'? (My priorities are picture & sound quality.)

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
One thing that has supprised me with BD players is that thus far there are only a few models avalible modified to Multi-Region for both BD and DVD.

I would love to didch my PS3 for BD duties and replace both the PS3 and my Denon DVD3930 with a single unit but as of yet have not seen a player that is Multi-region and better than either of my players at BD or DVD respectivly. I know there is the new OPPO player but I just cant get past it's cheapo looks.

Sliced Bread

6th.replicant:Clare Newsome:
...However, i'd seriously think of opting for a new-season player ... having seen the quality on offer from this year's crop.

Ta for reply, but I can't wait 'til Wednesday!! (Childish, moi?)

Me too!
emotion-1.gif

I'll be buying a new blu-ray player at the end of this month, so I'm ITCHING for this month's Supertest. Very excited and the suspense is killing me.

Very sad, I know!

Sliced Bread

6th.replicant:Anyway, badinage aside, reading between the lines, are you WHFS&V? staffers implying that the next issue's Supertest will reveal a new machine that raises the bar & usurps all others - incl the BDP-51FD - in the sub-£300 sector?

I have my suspicions on this too
emotion-1.gif

My moneys on The Pioneer for Picture and Audio, Panasonic for all round ability with a slightly faster operation, but slightly inferior picture and sound and the Sony for good value for money but not quite in the same league as the other two...however that is based purely on speculation so don't trust a word of it as it's likely to be very wrong!!

Looks like we're waiting for the next issue
emotion-1.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
JohnNewman:6th.replicant:Anyway, badinage aside, reading between the lines, are you WHFS&V? staffers implying that the next issue's Supertest will reveal a new machine that raises the bar & usurps all others - incl the BDP-51FD - in the sub-£300 sector?

I have my suspicions on this too
emotion-1.gif

My moneys on The Pioneer for Picture and Audio, Panasonic for all round ability with a slightly faster operation, but slightly inferior picture and sound and the Sony for good value for money but not quite in the same league as the other two...however that is based purely on speculation so don't trust a word of it as it's likely to be very wrong!!

Looks like we're waiting for the next issue
emotion-1.gif

Of course, it would be churlish to suggest that it's all a cruel ploy to hype the forthcoming issue, which will merely reveal, as JohnNewman's above post suggests + that the BDP-51FD's replacement has similar pic/sound quality but with Profile 2.0, faster loading & DTS MA HD? But I am very intrigued (frustrated!) by WHFS&V?'s implication that there's going to be a Pioneer for less than £300 RRP/non-discounted?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Would you expect us to do anything less than hype the issue?!

I should, of course, have said sub-£400 by list-price measure...

...and no-one's guessed right yet
emotion-14.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Would you expect us to do anything less than hype the issue?!

I should, of course, have said sub-£400 by list-price measure...

...and no-one's guessed right yet
emotion-14.gif

Ah-hah, so Claire, considering the sub-£400 aspect, if I buy a Pioneer BDP-51FD tomorrow for £270, will I regret the purchase 'cos there's a better player (pic & audio are my priorities) for same-ish cost in the Supertest? Please advise - a 'yes' or 'no' will suffice!

Ta
emotion-1.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:There's at least one player on-par with the '51FD for performance - and ahead for usability....

Ta for reply.

As my budget max is £270, can you please reveal the aprox cost of this new wonder machine(s)?

Ta
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Guess you've just got to be patient. Just a few more days and you'll be able to make an informed purchase, rather than one based on mere speculation.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:Guess you've just got to be patient. Just a few more days and you'll be able to make an informed purchase, rather than one based on mere speculation.

I'm assuming that the 'tone' of your post is tongue-in-cheek (otherwise you're doing a convincing impersonation of the type of bore who has the tedious knack of stating the obvious)?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:Anyway, badinage aside, reading between the lines, are you WHFS&V? staffers implying that the next issue's Supertest will reveal a new machine that raises the bar & usurps all others - incl the BDP-51FD - in the sub-£300 sector?

Read between the lines and all you see are white spaces...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts