PIONEER A 400 OR NEAREST MODERN DAY EQUIVALENT.

gary1961

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
HI i am new to this forum , so please excuse any ramblings , i had a hifi years ago ,but got married again and moved and sold it , but now have more time and want to get back to it , i had a pioneer a400 amp and some bw floor standing speakers which were huge and the reason the new wife hated them, with a sony cd and tuner, i was wondering what modern day amp would be as close to the a400 as there are still loads on ebay, and what speakers would be a great match (stand mount speakers )to keep the other half happy.

I have a room of 16x12 like rock ,pop, and most music ,i will use cd and maybe my ipod , i have about a budget of £2000 maybe a little bit more , been reading reviews and like the look of the kef r300 on stands and naim gear looks good , so any advise for a newbie would be greatly received thanks .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Good suggestion, the Creek 100A might make a good alternative.

It won't dissapoint I'm sure.
thumbs_up.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, I would have thought that Pioneers later A-A6 J (and 9) are close contenders.

I read a couple of comparison reviews and if I remember even the 6 was deemed to sound better.

As the old A-400's now have a few decades of probably fairly enthusiastic use under the belt I'd certainly would go for something newer.

drummerman said:
Well, I would have thought that Pioneers later A-A6 J (and 9) are close contenders.

I read a couple of comparison reviews and if I remember even the 6 was deemed to sound better.

As the old A-400's now have a few decades of probably fairly enthusiastic use under the belt I'd certainly would go for something newer.

I would agree. The A300R was better but agewise it is no longer a goer.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

Nothing to write home about IMO. Mediocre build quality, and low-ish on power. I'd rather have a Harman/Kardon HK990 for that price from the mainstream AV manufacturers.

Reactions: rocksteady

gary1961

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
hi so most seem to think i should go for a new more modern amp, i will try to audition as much as i can , and will look into creek and naim 5 also was wondering about acoustic energy speakers, thanks

matthewpiano

After seeing your thread I pulled my Pioneer A400 out for a run this afternoon. With the Rega CD player and Dynaudio DM2/6 speakers (as I'm in a Dyn mood for speakers at present rather than the RS1s), it sounded superb. I still feel that it betters the Brio-R in many respect with a very large and stable soundstage, plenty of detail and real punch. If you go for a modern amp I'd certainly be looking at the candidates mentioned above from Creek and Exposure. I wouldn't worry too much about the A400's age though. They are solid amps and serviceable if and when attention is required. Still one of the best bargains in hi-fi.

Reactions: rocksteady

gary1961

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
thanks for that ,i have seen a couple of mint condition a400 on a auction site and seen the dyn 2/6 for £299, but i am still able to spend more for better quality newer gear , will keep looking thanks again

gary1961 said:
HI i am new to this forum , so please excuse any ramblings , i had a hifi years ago ,but got married again and moved and sold it , but now have more time and want to get back to it , i had a pioneer a400 amp and some bw floor standing speakers which were huge and the reason the new wife hated them, with a sony cd and tuner, i was wondering what modern day amp would be as close to the a400 as there are still loads on ebay, and what speakers would be a great match (stand mount speakers )to keep the other half happy.

I have a room of 16x12 like rock ,pop, and most music ,i will use cd and maybe my ipod , i have about a budget of £2000 maybe a little bit more , been reading reviews and like the look of the kef r300 on stands and naim gear looks good , so any advise for a newbie would be greatly received thanks .

If you like the Pioneer sound the obvious route would be the newer A70. Generally speaking, Pioneer marry very well with Wharfedale - had this combo many moons ago and sounded terrific.

Pioneer A70 + Wharfedale *new* Denton woulkd certainly worth a listen.

Otherwise, the other suggestions sound good.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gary, welcome to the forum.

IMO. With that budget I would go new, as there is some great kit out there. I would also go out with a clean slate and just listen to a few different combinations, rather than trying to replicate a sound from yesteryear.

As well as the Creek, I would look at amps like Arcam A39, Rega Elicit R, Hegel H80 or possibly Bel Canto C5i

The R300s are a great choice, but you should also consider the LS50s. The other speakers that are getting a lot of love at the minute, are the curved ATC SCM 11s (which I haven't heard).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gary1961 said:
I prefer the R Series with tighter, clean sounding amplification, so try them with the Rotel RA1570 or the Primare I22 with media board. Both of these will offer on board DACs.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
*good* Vlad, I'm sure you'd be interested in hearing the k3. Going from the k2bt you immediately notice a slightly more accurate stereo effect, and better treble presence which I think is what also adds to the extra timbre noticed on instruments and vocals. It's only a small "upgrade" but as said it is immediately noticeable, which means with long term listening, it really is a joy to live with and everyday I am amazed at the sound it makes. I really need to get a review posted here soon.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
When I tour the hifi shops this winter, I might get a chance and hear (and look at) one on demo. I love the new faceplates on the PR photos.
heart.gif

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
When I tour the hifi shops this winter, I might get a chance and hear (and look at) one on demo. I love the new faceplates on the PR photos.

Good stuff. One thing I have said since owning the k3 is it now looks as good as it sounds, and it also sounds as good as it looks. A happy camper here :) (and it does look really good...I have the opium finish :) ).

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
After seeing your thread I pulled my Pioneer A400 out for a run this afternoon. With the Rega CD player and Dynaudio DM2/6 speakers (as I'm in a Dyn mood for speakers at present rather than the RS1s), it sounded superb. I still feel that it betters the Brio-R in many respect with a very large and stable soundstage, plenty of detail and real punch. If you go for a modern amp I'd certainly be looking at the candidates mentioned above from Creek and Exposure. I wouldn't worry too much about the A400's age though. They are solid amps and serviceable if and when attention is required. Still one of the best bargains in hi-fi.

I agree. Used to own this amp back in the day - absolutely brilliant it was.

gary1961

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
thanks for all the great replys , will demo amps from creek ,roksan and have a look at exposure, speakers, will look at the kefs , dyn audio 2/6 and the atcsm11 thanks .

may still buy a pioneer a400 just to keep for old times sake and if its still sounds great will use it , just need speakers that will sound great with it.

gary1961

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
thanks for all the great replys , will demo amps from creek ,roksan and have a look at exposure, speakers, will look at the kefs , dyn audio 2/6 and the atcsm11 thanks .

may still buy a pioneer a400 just to keep for old times sake and if its still sounds great will use it , just need speakers that will sound great with it.

rainsoothe

Vladimir said:
If buying blind these two might make an interesting combination.

Exposure 3010S2 + KEF R300.

+1 to this, also check out the following combos:

-Naim Unitiqute 2 + Kef LS50 or Neat Iota

-Arcam FMJ A19 + Focal Aria 906 + either Pioneer N50A or Cambridge Audio CXN.

EDIT: also, with the Exposure you could also check ATC SCM11, and later add either of the sources mentioned with the Arcam (the Pioneer or the CA). With Naim Nait 5 you could looke at Arcam iRdac for a source, and warm sounding speakers from Q Acoustics, Sonus Faber, Kef (the R series), Rega, Neat, Totem and maybe Dynaudio. For used or old stock, check Sonus Faber Toy Tower, B&W CM5 (1st series), Quad 11l or 12l.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts