Picture or Sound?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Do you feel you get more (in terms of cinematic experience/home cinema pleasure) from a bigger picture or better sound?

How much would you forfeit one for the other? --Deciding whether to skimp on the amp/speakers for a decent projector.

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
For me the sound it was engages you into the movie, wrapping around you and generating the emotional response.

They are both important as the director spend a lot of time on designing both to give that full movie experience.

But then it is a personal thing, but remember a medium size screen with a matching size sound track will give a better over all movie that a big screen with a small sound track, it will just not feel right. Imagine going to the local Odean and then having a Getto blaster at the front playing the sound, would not really be the same. I know that is an extreme example.

All that said you do not mention what you are going for, it maybe that in a normal size UK lounge the sound system you are going for will fill the room and support the screen?

A

Anonymous

They go hand in hand for me - equal emphasis. Precisely why I don't watch movies at the cinema now.

Messiah

laj:
Do you feel you get more (in terms of cinematic experience/home cinema pleasure) from a bigger picture or better sound?

How much would you forfeit one for the other? --Deciding whether to skimp on the amp/speakers for a decent project.

When you say skimp on the amp/speakers it depends what that means. If you are still going to get a fairly decent sound system then I would certainly go for the projector for the better cinematic experience. Personally I think you can get a lot of pleasure out of a modest surround system and don't need to spend loads.

What package are you looking at??

A

Anonymous

People, if you can separate sound from picture then something definitely wrong with that movie. Sound is (must be) just emotional background for story.

If you have to choose one - go for picture. My personal preference will be quality screen with good stereo amp/speakers (more useful for music in the meantime). Maybe I am already too old but to give preference to multiple speakers because of sound effects is a result of marketer's brain washing than real necessity to enjoy movie.

A

Anonymous

Nice to read the replies guys. I thought it might divide opinion :).

I'm really torn. I've been umming and ahhing for weeks now.

Likely to be some combination of either Sony 360, Pioneer 320 or Denon 2500 with either 1910, 2310 or 3310. I have Dynaudio Audience 52 fronts and 122 center. Planning to add either M-1's or q1010i's for rears--would I notice much difference in rears?

A

Anonymous

I've had a big screen and now have a 37" LCD and I've had decent sound and now have pretty good sound.

I must say that if I had to choose I'd choose the sound. There are exeptions though, don't get a tiny tv and a top notch sound system.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
theactiv:I must say that if I had to choose I'd choose the sound. There are exeptions though, don't get a tiny tv and a top notch sound system.

Absolutely agreed - a degree of common sense is needed - an 8" portable with a 11.2 THX certified sound system is silly, but then so is a projector and a tiny Pure radio handling sound duties. If I had to choose between the two though, I'd choose the 8" TV. For me, nothing else immerses you in a film like a decent surround system and I would always allocate a lot more of my budget for this system than I would for the display.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Concur with the majority that it's about balance, but a massive and immersing soundtrack floats my boat more than picture, and is easier to achieve too, which helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts