Picture in black and white from the DVD surround system and unable to connect via Virgin media cable box

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased a Samsung LE32b450 television and am trying to connect my existing Pioneer XV-DV55 system via svideo to a scart plugged intio the back of the Virgin Media box as the television has only 1 scart connection,.

I have tried connecting the Pioneer directly to the TV but can only get a black and white picture as I thought the solution would be to get a scart splitter to enable both to be connected together but evidently not .....help please.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if it has the option, but can you not select SVIDEO on the tv through the scart connecton? (The reason its black and white is because the 2 signals are not compatible)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
pionus:no I do not appear to have that option...

Then without an actual signal convertor, your outta luck. Maybe upgrade to V+ so you can use a hdmi?

A

Anonymous

Are there any other means to connect the surround sound system...currently connect the XBOX via the three Video recorder type connectors on the side of the TV...is it possible to use these if I can get a scart to three phone type connectors?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Im getting a little confused here so bear with me. You have an xbox a virgin box and a pioneer dvd player yes? I assume the virgin box is plugged in via RGB Scart yes? The xbox is plugged in via 3 leads? (yellow for video, red and white for sound)

If this is so then the xbox is using the lowest possible quality connection. Is the XBOX a 1st generation one or the 360? If its a 360 then buy a HDMI lead for it. If not buy a component lead for it ~

http://www.thegametrain.com/products/196-original-xbox-one-component-cable.html

(Just an example) and use 3 normal phonos for the dvd player (yellow for video, red for right audio and white for left audio)

Personally speaking though if what I assume is correct then youd be better buying a PS3 and using that as an all in one dvd, bluray and games machine conencted via HDMI for a FAR better quality experience

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
As you've found, the TV has to be capable of receiving an S-Video signal via the SCART connection. SCART is a connection medium capable of transferring composite video (CVBS), S-Video, RGB and in some very rare cases component video (YpBpR). You may find that the TV can only accept composite video and RGB via the SCART Connection but check the manual to confirm. If it is able to receive S-Video over SCART, also check the cable as S-Video to SCART is not bi-directional, so it has to be S-Video to SCART and not SCART to S-Video.

I think your best bet is to buy a switchable SCART adapter and connect one of your sources via composite video. I presume that your Pioneer system has composite video output (Yellow RCA)?

Please confirm the model of Xbox as queried above.

My initial thoughts are, it is really time for an upgrade elsewhere in your system. You have purchased a flat HD ready TV but are feeding it the lowest possible quality connection types.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts