Phono question...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi people, my first question on this forum
emotion-1.gif

I have a Denon PMA 250 amp [ mid 90's vintage ] and a Rega 3 with S shaped arm and sometimes ADC or AT110 cartridge depending on my mood..

My question is;; the fitted [ optional ] phono stage in the amp is quiet when compared with the cd and tape inputs, probably about 25% or more and while the sound is ok and quite easy on the ear I feel it is lacking something... Should I consider a separate phono stage pre amp [ the Cambridge one for example ] or look at other amps? I have tried some other amps including older Cyrus and the old Denon is imo quite a good bit of kit [ it also reflects my budget range ].

Also can I remove the phono card from the Denon to free up the plugs should I get a phono amp?

Cheers, Steve.

A

Anonymous

I doubt if the phono card is replacable. Certainly a cheap phono stage such as NAD of Cambridge audio 540p would be a step up - but maybe it is really time for a new amp - though depending on what you get, it may not have a phono so you'd need an external one anyway.

A

Anonymous

Neon K:And try not to annoy the neighbours. No, really.

Its my piano playing that really annoys them..... If I play music loud I make sure they are out, they never ever walk anywhere so I just make sure the car is off the drive...
emotion-2.gif

Back to the amp business, the Denon has outlasted some other more expensive ones I have owned so I must like the sound it makes,, the switch is marked phono/aux and the thing had an optional card but I don't know whether it can be hoiked out or not, I suppose I should take the lid off and have a peak.. if it isn't obvious I shall put the lid back on and look for another amp or just sacrifice an aux input and not have the radio.. hmmmmm

By the way I have just bought a Beresford DAC, sounded great from the switch on
emotion-1.gif
nice one Stan..

A

Anonymous

It sounds as if the card, being optional may be removable then, or atleast have a din switch inside or on the back of the amp to go from phono/aux. Silly Q. you do have the optional phono card, and your turnable isn't just plugged into an Aux socket?

Make sure the amp has been unplugged for an hour before opening the back, incase any capacitors are still charged.

I imagine all your inputs are used including Tape In? Also if you are not using Tape Out and it is not buffered - i.e. it's just coming after the input selector, it can also be used as an always on Input ! Caveat Emptor !!! Try with all other inputs disconnected first, don't want to blow anything up.

A

Anonymous

I assume that the card is installed .... it is not that quiet
emotion-5.gif

I might be having the day off tomorrow if it rains as bad as they reckon , one of the perks of being a self employed gardener is having rainy days with the sounds cranked to number 11 and the neighbours hammering ineffectually on the party wall
emotion-39.gif
emotion-4.gif
[ not really]]]

So I can have a peek under the lid and see whats what. As for the tape output being used as an input? Never thought of that one.

Ok, so if I buy another amp.... any recommendations under 300 quid? Speakers are Spendor BC1's .... and obviously it needs phono inputs and stage of good quality....

Cheers, Steve.

T

the record spot

Go used and get friendly with a good dealer. You'll get far more from your money than anything out there for £300 new. Simple as that. Actually, the only one you might consider is Audiolab, but that's bolted with a caveat that you should try to listen first - it can be a dry clinical sound, for some, then that might not sit well with you Spendor's. Equally, the 8000s amp does have plenty of detail and good bass extension, so it may float your boat. Good power amp addition options too from Audiolab so very flexible, all in all.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Go used and get friendly with a good dealer. You'll get far more from your money than anything out there for £300 new. Simple as that. Actually, the only one you might consider is Audiolab, but that's bolted with a caveat that you should try to listen first - it can be a dry clinical sound, for some, then that might not sit well with you Spendor's. Equally, the 8000s amp does have plenty of detail and good bass extension, so it may float your boat. Good power amp addition options too from Audiolab so very flexible, all in all.

Yep .... but the Audiolab has no phono inputs so sends the budget out of my range if a pre amp has to be added... Secondhand makes sense, I will use this as an excuse to visit some [ there aren't many ] local dealers.. I think I annoyed one the other day by not buying the Rega Planet he was waving at me
emotion-1.gif

I have some old kit to flog on ebay [ old Rotel cd player and amp, Armstrong valve amp etc etc.... ] to raise some funds. ,

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Hmmmmmmmm got the lid off unplugged the sound card.. plugged in a tuner to the relevant inputs that serve the phono [optional
emotion-1.gif
] and nothing happened, light buzzing,, so .. I deduce there must either be a switch under the board..unlikely or there might be a card that is for an aux source .. I don't know.. worth a poke I suppose.

I think I will buy a C Audio phono amp and forego the tuner, at least I can still plug it in if I want. Any amp upgrading can wait as I have to tax the van this coming month.. booooooo
emotion-9.gif
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

letsannoytheneighbours:

Hmmmmmmmm got the lid off unplugged the sound card.. plugged in a tuner to the relevant inputs that serve the phono [optional
emotion-1.gif
] and nothing happened, light buzzing,, so .. I deduce there must either be a switch under the board..unlikely or there might be a card that is for an aux source .. I don't know.. worth a poke I suppose.

I think I will buy a C Audio phono amp and forego the tuner, at least I can still plug it in if I want. Any amp upgrading can wait as I have to tax the van this coming month.. booooooo
emotion-9.gif
emotion-4.gif

NAD-PP3 Phono box has switchable MM / MC / Line inputs (switch on back, no big deal)-- that way you can connect your TT and your Tuner and use just one input on your amp. Also you have a USB output if you wish to digitize your Albums (maybe heresy).

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Want a match made in heaven for your BC1,s....Sugden C51 Pre...P51 Power.

The phono stage in the C51 is excellent.

Might be 30 odd years old, but pure magic....and can still be serviced by Sugen.

A

Anonymous

Cheers folks, I don't think my budget will stretch to the amp-preamp suggested but maybe if I have a great year flogging junk on ebay :)

The NAD looks like a good one, not many reviews but the ones I did read were positive about the sound, connecting to the computer is handy and might be better than the crappy connection into the line in and using Audacity to record the music.. I have found one for 70 quid inc post... not bad, saves me driving 50 miles to our local Richer for the C A amp... spose I better get out to work to earn some pennies to pay for all this consumerism
emotion-1.gif

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts