phono amps, do they burn in/break in with use

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
The reason being last week I purchased a CA551p , I wasnt exactly blown away at first, the sound was not that dissimliar to the built in phono on my amp, but after a week its sounding quite delicous with certain tracks :roll: when I switched back to the internal phono, there was notibly more sibilance, not that the CA unit gets rid of it, but it 'seems' less obvious or have my ears just adjusted to a little differnt presentation, I have the option of retuning it this week or upgrading it by just paying the difference, Does the 651p sound better, apart from having the MC compatablity, The 551 does seem to have improved a little in the last day or so, I was goiing to return it, but I think its a keeper now !

Glad to hear you think it is improving. To my mind these items do not 'burn-in' but it's every mans hearing and perceptions that varies.

I would not think the 651p is going to sound 'better' but I have not heard it myself, I would only consider this if you want to go down the MC route at some point.

Generally, at this sort of price point, I find it is better to spend the money on a better cartridge rather than a phono amp though others will, of course, disagree.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts