Phono amp for Rega

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Picked up a Rega RP40 last weekend which is the first piece of hi-fi I have ever bought brand new having always bought second hand or ex-demo. Now I have this, I need to add a phono stage...... For the last month I have assumed this was as straight forward as buying the current version of the Rega Fono MM to complement the Elys40 cartridge - which I'm guessing is just a different colour to the Elys2 that ships with the RP3.

What's the opinion out there? Should I just order a Rega Fono and embrace the Rega synergy or spend a little time sourcing a second hand phono amp for similar money (£200) perhaps giving me an option of MC later on?

Won't be unboxing the RP40 for a few weeks yet so have plenty time to change my mind several times - which actually is damn annoying!

Currently have a several year old Creek a50 (without phono board) and a pair of Monopulse S speakers

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
I have no intention of changing the cartridge anytime soon - this has been a substantial investment for me and am very much looking forward to just enjoying rediscovering vinyl over the coming months/years - but no doubt there will come the time that the cartridge will need replacing and from what I have read since ordering the turntable is that the tonearms on these Regas will do justice to some serious cartridges.

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the Cambridge Azure 651P from Richer Sounds, this has the MC compatability for future and works well with my RP1, £119.

I was condidering the Nad and the Rega. But Richer Sounds was local and an easy option.

I have no complaints with the Azure it does seem more detailed than the built in phono amp in my Yamaha.

AmigaNut

I

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks AmigaNut, have heard good things about the CA. Am thinking with budget of £200 it's either the Rega Fono or something second hand for similar money.....

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Opened up the amp last week to check there was no phono board installed. There isn't. Very simple to install one - like a memory board into a computer - and am sure Creek would carry old stock for my amp but I'm keen to have a seperate phono amp as I'm pretty certain I'll move the Creek amp into the office and replace with a valve amp (maybe) in the not too distant.......

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
I have the Rega phono mm having spent a long
Time comparing it with the brio-r, I prefer the sound.
More open, cleaner presentation. Love it.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. Oldenbroke, good to hear from someone who has the Fono MM. Have done plenty internet crawling and seems there are a lot of Trichord Dino owners partnering the Rega turntables and many Graham Slee phono amps of differing models at varied price points.

I do keep coming back to the Fono mk2 though - there just aren't as many owner reviews documented of this model. It does seem the obvious partner for the Rega cartridge and I really don't want to be entertaining the idea of changing the cartridge anytime soon. Has been enlightening to read so many cases of upgrading turntable components so soon after a first turntable purchase.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
fatman said:
many Graham Slee phono amps of differing models at varied price points.
You can try any of these on two week home loan. All you need to do is join the Slee forum and make contact with your namesake of a golfing variety.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I've just joined the Graham Slee club to try out a Gram amp but I must admit, I find it overly warm and lacking detail, almost like the treble has been rolled off. Don't think it will be a keeper for me especially as I remember my A28 phono stage being far more exciting to listen to!

Anyone heard the Heed Questar?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts