Perreaux Silhouette Series SX25 - Class A at 2.4Kgs ?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was browsing the net and came across this Power Amp. Class A amplification at 2.4kgs weight? I always thought (and owned) Class A amplifiers are very heavy and big heat generators.

What am I missing?

I was just checking at the prices too and SX25 (Power Amp) as well as SX25i (Integrated Amp) are priced the same. How is this possible?

Any one has experience with this kit?

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
The following description of the Perreaux Silhoutte Series SX25 from their website:

"As with all Perreaux products, the design is completely solid state"

So definitely not Class A. This is a low powered (25 watts per channel) solid state amp, hence the light weight of 2.4kgs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sabby said:
The following description of the Perreaux Silhoutte Series SX25 from their website:

So definitely not Class A. This is a low powered (25 watts per channel) solid state amp, hence the light weight of 2.4kgs.

CD17 + Plinius + Maggies......very nice!

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Cno. Really enjoy listening to music on this system. Detail, dynamics, huge soundstage, everything I could wish for. Finally managed to get the synergy that was lacking in my previous systems. A very lifelike and realistic musical presentation, so hoping to keep this system for a very long time.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Sabby said:

Aha! That explains!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sabby said:

I agree that this particular amp may not be class A. But not because it's solid state. There are many examples of pure class A solid-state amplifiers.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I suspect its only the pre-amp stage that's Class A (not that unusual).

That sounds more right!

BTW, Do you think there are any sub 10-15kg heavy Class A Power amplfiers? Just out of curiosity and possibly give a try as I have a little more than a month before I reolcate >)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I suspect its only the pre-amp stage that's Class A (not that unusual).

Also I was aware that there are some amplifiers which do Class A for the first 10 Watt and then move on to Class AB.

Would be nice to know which ones they are.

With the Pearl Lite amplifier at home, I barely cross the 8 O Clock position so may be the firs 5-10Watt is all I need with a room for dynamics or for louder listening, if needed.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I thought that was how all class AB amps worked, ie the first few Watts are class A then beyond that level it moves into class B?

Have I misunderstood, or is it that going as far as 10 Watts is much higher than the typical class AB amp would manage in class A?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
gregvet said:
I thought that was how all class AB amps worked, ie the first few Watts are class A then beyond that level it moves into class B?

Have I misunderstood, or is it that going as far as 10 Watts is much higher than the typical class AB amp would manage in class A?

May be I am wrong here ?

There are some amp which with the flick of a switch trasfers from Class A to Class AB and some with out the switch operate Class A for the first few watts. Atleast this is what my understanding is. I really doubt that my Clase CA-2100 operates in Class A mode ever. May be I am wrong.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:
gregvet said:

May be I am wrong here ?

There are some amp which with the flick of a switch trasfers from Class A to Class AB and some with out the switch operate Class A for the first few watts. Atleast this is what my understanding is. I really doubt that my Clase CA-2100 operates in Class A mode ever. May be I am wrong.

Its far more likely to be me thats mistaken, I assure you ;)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It depends how heavily biased into class A the design of the class AB amp is , I think my Electrocompaniet amp is class A for the first 10 watts which in reality is 90% of the time and it gets quite hot but not as hot as pure class A .

The Abrahamsen SA1 power amp is 50% class A so would stay in class A most if not all the time but is more efficient than pure class A

http://www.classicseries.no/products.asp

It all depends on the preference of the amplifier designer who is balancing the elimination of crossover distortion with efficiency and sound quality . :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro beat me to it.....I think generally, the longer it stays in Class A, the hotter it gets and the more venting it needs (and the better it sounds!).

It has been known for amps that are heavily biassed in Class A to be labelled as full Class A.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Electro beat me to it.....I think generally, the longer it stays in Class A, the hotter it gets and the more venting it needs (and the better it sounds!).

It has been known for amps that are heavily biassed in Class A to be labelled as full Class A.

Yes my Electro amp is labelled as Class A even though it is a high bias Class AB amp but I suppose they can claim it is class A because it operates in class A except under extreme high power output conditions .

All I know is that it sounds as good if not better that all the fully class A amplifiers that I have heard so far , but then I have not heard the AMS 35 yet so who knows maybe ----- ;) :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
That sounds more right!

BTW, Do you think there are any sub 10-15kg heavy Class A Power amplfiers? Just out of curiosity and possibly give a try as I have a little more than a month before I reolcate >)

The Sugdens:

A21a......11kg

A21 SE...14kg

They should sound well with the R series (preferably SE), but it would (imo) take the IA-4 as a bare minimum to handle the 201s, and even then you should really be looking at the mono blocks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
Yes my Electro amp is labelled as Class A even though it is a high bias Class AB amp but I suppose they can claim it is class A because it operates in class A except under extreme high power output conditions .

All I know is that it sounds as good if not better that all the fully class A amplifiers that I have heard so far , but then I have not heard the AMS 35 yet so who knows maybe ----- ;) :)

Listening to the 35i was one of "those moments" that you occasionly get in this hobby, where you hear a product that is so good, it literally stops you in your tracks. The Majik DS was another one, and I'm lucky enough to have both in my system.

If you ever get a chance to listen to any of the AMS amps, do report in, as I would value your judgement, as your system is already very musical indeed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts