Perils of DIY electronics repairs

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, having received all the parts to revive one of my Cyrus disc players I made a booboo.

Attempting to carefully de-solder an offending small surface mounted cap I've lifted a copper pad of the track (with the cap).

Mmmmmh.

Apparently it's easily done, even by more accomplished folks but doesn't exactly make it any funnier :)

I've never worked with SMD's ... Lesson ... Google the details first.

So, now I have to order a copper pad.

Never had so much fun ... ahem

drummerman said:
Well, having received all the parts to revive one of my Cyrus disc players I made a booboo.

Attempting to carefully de-solder an offending small surface mounted cap I've lifted a copper pad of the track (with the cap).

Mmmmmh.

Apparently it's easily done, even by more accomplished folks but doesn't exactly make it any funnier :)

I've never worked with SMD's ... Lesson ... Google the details first.

So, now I have to order a copper pad.

Never had so much fun ... ahem

Could you not simply utilize a short length of wire?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Despair not, it's fixable though not pretty. You can just use solder to make a trace or just use a jumper wire and regular cap (doesn't have to be SMD as long it's the same value). If the distance is short you just make some holes, spread the legs on the film cap and solder it in. I don't think anyone bothers to order a pad. *scratch_one-s_head*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It is indeed possible though the area (and track) are tiny. It was tricky just to get in with a .5mm bit (adjecent resistors). One side came off clean the other ...

I've cleaned the area using my fibre pen.

Need to do some more reading up, before I make my mind up :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Despair not, it's fixable though not pretty. You can just use solder to make a trace or just use a jumper wire and regular cap (doesn't have to be SMD as long it's the same value). If the distance is short you just make some holes, spread the legs on the film cap and solder it in. I don't think anyone bothers to order a pad. *scratch_one-s_head*

Yes, I've ordered some Vishay through holes of equivalent value in addition to the panasonics so that is poss too. I've anticipated something could go awry :).

Still, I will see if I can make a neat repair first.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've watched hundreds of repair videos online and it happened too many times to professional repair techs or skilled DIYer. Happens all the time, especially with SMD. They even start cursing before the soldering iron is plugged in. The trick is to preheat the whole board in ovens, even improvise with BBQ plates.

I've had it happened couple of times but I was lucky not to rip off the trace as it lifted, so I managed to fix it with adhesive.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You either need a lower temperature iron or you need to be quicker! Soldering, like most manual skills, is a matter of practice. Back in the day I was very good but I tried something very simple quite recently and I was rubbish. I'd leave it to a professional.

Chris

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
You either need a lower temperature iron or you need to be quicker! Soldering, like most manual skills, is a matter of practice. Back in the day I was very good but I tried something very simple quite recently and I was rubbish. I'd leave it to a professional.

Chris

She'll be up and running soon :)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain! Though as others have said is easily fixible, especially if you can spot a nats chuff without taking your glasses off, or without the aid of a high powered magnifying glass!

If you need any practice I have 150 PCB's I need soldering up. Thankfully they are through hole!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I feel your pain! Though as others have said is easily fixible, especially if you can spot a nats chuff without taking your glasses off, or without the aid of a high powered magnifying glass!

If you need any practice I have 150 PCB's I need soldering up. Thankfully they are through hole!

:)

Well, all done and good.

In the end I had to bridge using a through hole cap.

It all looks tidy apart from the missing pad and exposed copper. Had to tidy up the leaked electrolyte.

Loads of money saved and she's sounding happy again.

As to the magnifying glass, yes, I have to use one of those these days unfortunately :)

(I'll solder for you anytime :) )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts