People who constantly advise Plasma over LCD!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I see threads about LCD's where other members tell other members to forget LCD and go for Plasma and blah blah. Well, their bloody right too!!! lol After stupidly putting my trust in a new Sony 46Z4500 I was hoping to put my fears of forgetting LCD forever to bed. After a week of viewing I thought, brilliant! Sony have got me back on board with LCD. Unfortunately, after 2 weeks, I noticed awful bleed in the top right hand corner even after calibration. So, instead of getting a replacement set which was offered, I just got a refund instead. So, I looked into buying the Philips 42PFL9803 with LED Backlighting thus elliminating any clouding/backlight bleed, I couldn't find it anywhere though. Then I seen a thread on the other forums about it and low and behold, it contains several or more different owners who all have problems with this LCD over it's stuttering backlight. They also mentioned how reluctant Philips were to help. Now, I have lost my faith in LCD.

Then I thought, maybe the Plasma purists(a member called D.J. KRIME comes to mind lol) are right, I should just get a Plasma screen. So, I went out and had a look at a Panasonic TH42PZ81 and to my surprise I liked it, I took Wall-E and Iron Man on Blu Ray and the Pana handled motion and tricky panning shots with no problem at all. Now, while Sony and maybe Samsung offer slightly better clarity and resolution, Panasonic compensates with deep blacks and alot better balanced colours. I only spent £999 of my £3000 budget aswell, leaving me with plenty of money to buy one of the new Panasonic Plasma's later in the year. The Sony 46Z4500 actually cost almost twice the price of the Panasonic, it was £1799.

nads

Welcome to the Plasma club.

Oh dont forget to change your sig.
emotion-5.gif

Edit: i see it has now updated.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
I went from a 32" Toshiba LCD to a 42" Pana recently, and even the wife appreciates the step up (not just in size) fromtthe old TV. She recently visited some friends who own the same LCD as we did and couldn't believe the difference between the two.......so there's difinetley bo going back for us now - at least until OLED enters the fray in a few years, just in time for a new TV!!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Davey1984:

Then I thought, maybe the Plasma purists(a member called D.J. KRIME comes to mind lol) are right, I should just get a Plasma screen. So, I went out and had a look at a Panasonic TH46PZ81 and to my surprise I liked it, I took Wall-E and Iron Man on Blu Ray and the Pana handled motion and tricky panning shots with no problem at all.

Welcome to "The Gang"
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Hey there!

I'm curious, where did you get a th46pz81 for £999?

I'm looking for a 42" version of this screen, and £999 is usually the price... let me know where you got such a good deal!

Tÿ

fruityboy

Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
I COULDNT AGREE MORE WITH YOU I HAD A SONY LCD WHICH HAD 3 NEW PANELS IN 6 MONTHS I WAS ADVISED A FEW TIMES BY DIFFERENT PEOPLE TO TRY A PLASMA AND LIKE AN IDIOT I IGNORED THEM! BUT NOW FINALY I MADE THE JUMP AND GOT A PIONEER PLASMA I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED AGES AGO AND GOT GOT ONE ITS FANTASTIC I WONT EVER BE GOING BACK TO AN LCD

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:dude, stop shouting, there's people trying to sleep here...

Owning a plasma is worth shouting about...especially a Kuro. Well done and welcome to the Dark(er blacks) Side

A

Anonymous

Davey1984:
I see threads about LCD's where other members tell other members to forget LCD and go for Plasma and blah blah. Well, their bloody right too!!! lol After stupidly putting my trust in a new Sony 46Z4500 I was hoping to put my fears of forgetting LCD forever to bed. After a week of viewing I thought, brilliant! Sony have got me back on board with LCD. Unfortunately, after 2 weeks, I noticed awful bleed in the top right hand corner even after calibration. So, instead of getting a replacement set which was offered, I just got a refund instead. So, I looked into buying the Philips 42PFL9803 with LED Backlighting thus elliminating any clouding/backlight bleed, I couldn't find it anywhere though. Then I seen a thread on the other forums about it and low and behold, it contains several or more different owners who all have problems with this LCD over it's stuttering backlight. They also mentioned how reluctant Philips were to help. Now, I have lost my faith in LCD.

Then I thought, maybe the Plasma purists(a member called D.J. KRIME comes to mind lol) are right, I should just get a Plasma screen. So, I went out and had a look at a Panasonic TH46PZ81 and to my surprise I liked it, I took Wall-E and Iron Man on Blu Ray and the Pana handled motion and tricky panning shots with no problem at all. Now, while Sony and maybe Samsung offer slightly better clarity and resolution, Panasonic compensates with deep blacks and alot better balanced colours. I only spent £999 of my £3000 budget aswell, leaving me with plenty of money to buy one of the new Panasonic Plasma's later in the year. The Sony 46Z4500 actually cost almost twice the price of the Panasonic, it was £1799.

Jeeez the Z series now?? EDITED BY MODS - PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS MODERATION

As I said before ALL Sony LCD suffer from this in one form or another, very slightly to blatant. Plasma is the only safe way to go...HOOOOORAY for Plasma.

A

Anonymous

Shnex

I got it from Crampton and Moore, I ordered over the phone, it was around £940 for the Plasma plus £59 for next day delivery.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
To my eye all LCD tv's suffer with backlght issues and allways will due to the way a LCD works, how can you ever have a system where you force light through a panel and expect to not be able to have issues with too much white light passing through on a dark scene? Admitidly LED backlit sets do a better job but give off a almost HALO effect around the lit objects on a black back ground.

A Plasma will never give any of these effects due to the fact a pixel is only luminated when it is being used so if it is ment to be balck it is balck as it is not on!

A

Anonymous

Too be honest, the Z series is a fantastic set, bit pricey(40" £1400 "46 £1800) though considering the W Series is only like £900 and almost as good. The reason I say this, is simply because I have seen 2 Z Series sets that have been calibrated and have minimal/unoticeable Clouding/Backlight Bleed issues and the picture was of a very high standard, probably one of the LCD's around actually. I just had it upto the neck with LCD when I noticed mine had the Backlight Bleed, I didn't want the hassle of swapping sets over and over again. The easiest way to avoid all the hassle was down the Plasma route.

I watched Underworld on Blu Ray on my Panny TH42PZ81 last night and it handles all the blacks extremely well and it can accentuate alll the details within the blacks, something that the Sony Z4500 can do but not as good as Plasma.

A

Anonymous

Davy1984

I'm really confused now, did you get the 42 or 46"?

On their website the 42" costs £939, while the 46" costs £1049 (both without delivery)

Did you manage to get the 46" for £999 delivered? Cause that sounds like a Bargain!

T

A

Anonymous

Ahhh, sorry for the confusion, it was the 42" I have and not the 46". I will change my Sig now lol

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Well, the only thing that would make me go for lcd is the lifespan, aparently larger that the lifespan of plasmas.Panasonics tells they have 100.000 hour lifespan.Do you think plasmas would life to that?

A

Anonymous

I just got a Panasonic plasma after having two LCD's (Pana T26LXD500 & Samsung LE37M87) Thought they were good up until now. Will never go back.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Martin Gman:

As I said before ALL Sony LCD suffer from this in one form or another, very slightly to blatant. Plasma is the only safe way to go...HOOOOORAY for Plasma.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - please stop assuming you know everything about all Sony LCDs!!! Mine is fine, as are many others'.

avnut

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
i recently gave my dad my th50pz80 and am waiting for the 2009 models i am currently using my 2 year old sony bravia i cant believe i bought this set and actually liked it fo 12 months. in word its horrible.come on panasonic lets have the 2009 sets PLEASE!!

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Martin Gman:Davey1984:

Then I thought, maybe the Plasma purists(a member called D.J. KRIME comes to mind lol) are right, I should just get a Plasma screen. So, I went out and had a look at a Panasonic TH46PZ81 and to my surprise I liked it, I took Wall-E and Iron Man on Blu Ray and the Pana handled motion and tricky panning shots with no problem at all. Now, while Sony and maybe Samsung offer slightly better clarity and resolution, Panasonic compensates with deep blacks and alot better balanced colours. I only spent £999 of my £3000 budget aswell, leaving me with plenty of money to buy one of the new Panasonic Plasma's later in the year. The Sony 46Z4500 actually cost almost twice the price of the Panasonic, it was £1799.

Jeeez the Z series now?? [EDITED BY MODS - PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS MODERATION]

This guy is starting to become extremely boring.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
ear:Well, the only thing that would make me go for lcd is the lifespan, aparently larger that the lifespan of plasmas.Panasonics tells they have 100.000 hour lifespan.Do you think plasmas would life to that?

Not so as both Plasma and LCD have roughly the same lifespan to half-brightness. My screen which is a year old has a life span of 60,000 hours so at say 8 hours a day that is 7500 days which is well over 20 years! think I may just have upgraded by then somehow!!!

A

Anonymous

ear:Well, the only thing that would make me go for lcd is the lifespan, aparently larger that the lifespan of plasmas.Panasonics tells they have 100.000 hour lifespan.Do you think plasmas would life to that?You cant be serious can you? Plasmas and LCDs should last for way,way over 12 years at normal viewing levels. Do you intend to keep your set longer than that??

BTW most LCDs are listed as 60,000hrs life, but in practice, for both Plasma and LCDs, other component fails before the panel (power supply, circuit boards etc..)

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
You cant be serious can you? Plasmas and LCDs should last for way,way over 12 years at normal viewing levels. Do you intend to keep your set longer than that??

Yes I Do.I won't sure sell it as long as I am satisfied with it.All my tv's have lasted at least 10 years,Only a schaub laurenz broke down after 9.that doesn.t mean I wont get another one in the meantime.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts