Peitho 303 speaker

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
As i promised, i will write about this special speaker, as i am listening more and more to it, for the coming weeks, might be months. It depends on your posts too!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I am getting used to it, better and better. It is really sounding so well. If you have some serious cash to spend, think of this combination, or one of the two.

Peitho 303 speaker is:

- 2-way

- infinite baffle sytem!

- 90 dB efficiency

- 8 ohm on full frequencyrange!

- Reccomended power 10 - 80 W

- Adjustable tweeter , +/- 1,5 dB "presence" (like the Kef 104 aB in the early days)

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
And here is the "review" of the "Artephonos Energa" powertube-amp which i placed in another thread, a few months ago.

Now after 3/4 year of listening, i am finally ready to write a story/review about my new tube-amp: the "Artephonos Energa", built in Holland (you can Google for yourself). In 1 word it sounds "AMAZING"!

It has all the qualities i was looking for in a good tube-amp. It has a big ambience, it images very well, it has air, it goes deep in bass (even more then my former ss-amp, although with less "slam"), it has authority, it has very good dynamics and finally it has a very neutral tonal balance. Voices are superb.

Listening becomes a kind of dreaming. I am jawdroppingly sucked into the music as never before. And after i finished listening, it is like awakening from that dream and enjoying that i have made such a good choice.

Almost all of my music sounds better then ever before. My speakers (also damn good) have never sounded so well!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The system is getting better and better and/or i'm getting more used to it.

This could very well be the last system that i have bought in this life!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry you haven't had any feedback. It sounds like my sort of 2 channel system.......good job, and I'm glad it's giving so much pleasure.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I like to hear about systems and equipment that are different from the most common stuff .

It sounds like you have found a lovely pair of speakers that really suit you :cheers:

I hope you don't mind me adding a link so that people can see the speakers .

http://www.hayendaudio.nl/en/brands/peitho-loudspeakers/23-english/brands/artephonos/109-peitho-303

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
"CnoEvil" and "Electro": Thx for your posts!

The link is o.k. of course.

Disadvantage is that you'll have to go listen in Holland. But then again the man already sold to U.S. customer.

And there could be some interested Dutch members (like me) on this forum too!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rethep said:
"CnoEvil" and "Electro": Thx for your posts!

The link is o.k. of course.

Disadvantage is that you'll have to go listen in Holland. But then again the man already sold to U.S. customer.

And there could be some interested Dutch members (like me) on this forum too!

I think it's a shame that it hasn't generated more interest, as I think some folk on here would be shocked at just how good it should sound.

It seems to be too off the beaten track, even for those used to hunting there.

:cheers:

Cno

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
You are wright, but i can imagine/understand a lot of people just don't have the cash to spend.

I want to emphasize that it is the combination of the amp and speakers that does it! My former Epos ES11, not bad at all, never sounded better than with this amp.

Of course it is still a tube-sound. People who like real pumping bass, should look further still.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rethep,

I just had a look at Hay's website and I must say that I'm intrigued by his speakers. After having auditioned (and liked) Magnepan and Quad panels, and Avantgarde horns, I feel I should try his infinite baffle designs too! Cos the description fits my idea of what good speakers sound like!

The tailored approach (where the customer can choose whichever finish he prefers and more) is a big plus too, when taking the WAF into account.

It's just that Venlo is quite a drive for me, at 240 km one way... So no concrete plans yet, but I'll keep them in the back of my head.

*drinks*

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
After about 3/4 of a year listening to this combination, i am still surprised more and more about its sound. It just sounds wonderful and seems to get better in time. Of course a big part of this 'better' is me, getting used to its sound.

At first the system seemed to sound a bit laid back (the standmount Epos 11's before, sounded punchier and tighter in the bass but also "small", less deep, less complete).

The "Peitho" speakers are very sweet sounding with no sharpness or edge. But then again everything is "there", loud and clear! In a way, it sounds like the Magnepans SMG 1.5A i had some 25 years ago, but then with the dynamics of a cone-speaker, and much much more openness, space and purity, and deeper bass! In total the sound is unbelievebly exciting, over and over, again and again!

The only thing the system does not have real "solid state" tight bass. I think for a tube-amp it's the best bass available. It is really deep! And in all other areas it is unsurpassed by anything i have heard!

There could be tube-amps with tighter bass but they will sound less alround like a tube-amp. To my opinion tube-amps which sound like tube-amps with "flowing mid-freq", will never have tight bass, because the bass will sound "flowing" too. At least that's my theory.

Globally i am very satisfied with the system and at a regular basis my jaw drops from excitement.

If you are in for some serious money (several thousands for each, but i think it is a bargain still, because in the shops you will pay twice or more!): have a listen. You might be pleasantly surprised, like me. Good hunting!

Links:

http://www.hayendaudio.nl/en/brands/peitho-loudspeakers/23-english/brands/artephonos/109-peitho-303

http://www.hayendaudio.nl/en/brands/artephonos/power-amplifiers

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello DocG,

My distance to Venlo is 150 km. It was worth it! I have been there 3 times to buy a "Cayin", "Artephonos Energa" with custom build volumepot because i did not need a pre-amp, and finally the Peitho 303.

Hay is a nice guy who will not push you to buy anything, and will not tell you to buy the bigger speaker just because! He gives real honest advice.

I live in the center of Holland, if that's closer to you than Venlo you can come by to have a short impression! In that case you can pm me.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Rethep said:
I live in the center of Holland, if that's closer to you than Venlo you can come by to have a short impression! In that case you can pm me.

Thanks, that's very kind! But, coming from Gent, that might be even further!

Maybe I should ask Hay if I can contact his customer in Hoogstraten (with the 507s)... though that's still far from me... Or he might have more Belgian clients?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
He has clients everywhere but i can imagine that not everyone of them is happy to demonstrate. As i said before: it is worth the time and money. But you can always contact him of course.

Don't forget the smaller (and cheaper) speakers. They already sound wonderful, and if your room is not too big (mine is 6,5 x 3,5 m.) they might be sufficient.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Rethep said:
Don't forget the smaller (and cheaper) speakers. They already sound wonderful, and if your room is not too big (mine is 6,5 x 3,5 m.) they might be sufficient.

Well, the room is rather complicated. Maybe I should drop him a mail indeed...

PS: the music he suggests on his website is really nice too (long live Spotify!). Listening to the Chieftains now. It's brilliant!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes that music sounds wonderful! But i have a quite different taste of music, and also very good sounding examples. Quite interesting list of him, though.

Don't forget the sound of the amp. It is the combination that counts!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
This speaker has been build by a one man's company. It is his first serious design, and it could be his last as well. It delivers a very balanced sound, with a deep, broad, soundstage, very good dynamics, and it is very listenable and captivating.

I have it for 3 days now and am starting to get used to it very quick. When i bought it, i had listened for 2 hours at the man's place. It convinced me rather quick with the forementioned qualities. It had a really good combination of all sound's quality parameters. It made music so much enjoying that i could not hide my enthousiasm, which you should do before you agree on the price, of course.

After that, i had to wait 7 weeks for delivery. It was just after the holidays, so it will be quicker delivered in future deals. After installation i had to position them (i am still not totally convinced about the ideal definite place, right now). At first it seemed that the sound stuck a little to the cabinets, but it already had very good soundstage-depth. A little toe-in helped, and it also opens up more in 40 hours of use, i was told.

I could listen to it for hours, and even at low volume it sounds very dynamic. I hate to play really loud, so that is very good "news". I hear many new things in the music, even when i am already used to very good sound, with the tube-amp from the same builder, that i own for one year now. The new things in the music also come from the deeper bass it has, compared to my standmount Epos's. At first my Epos's (never compared them in my own room) seemed to have had a more open sound, that is more direct. The latter is true, but also gave me a "sweet spot" of about a few centimeters, which made listening to them more of a zen meditation, with full concentration to hold my head motionless. The fulness of a floorstander is also really enjoying, and the bass is not overbearing. And i think it is not slower then the Epos, after longer listening experience. And in the end, the openness is even much bigger! It seems i have hit the bull with this choice!

This man already seems to have done a great job in designing this speaker! It is a lifetime achievement, as he first experimented with speakers some 45 years ago! He designed the tube-amp himself too, 2 years ago. Unbelievable sound, this combination. One disadvantage: it is not cheap (a few thousands for the pair of speakers), but i think the speaker might e.g. even outperform a B & W 804 Diamond, at more then 2 times the price! (And the amp, a few thousands too, might outperform some Audio Research, or even an Audio Note).

Is there something left to be wished ? Well not everybody will like the "soft" (not really), sophisticated, but dynamic, tubesound, and might want transistorbass-slam. For me that's no wish anymore, as i have passed the stage of "loudness" years ago. I like the inside of music, more, and want everything out of a musicpiece till the really core. It seems that, after years, i have found what i was looking for, finally!

To be continued!?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
And then again in his list of music, the 'Noema' from 'David Orlovky's Klezmorim' is in the wrong catagory. It is klezmermusic with bandoneon and should be in the 'other music' instead of 'jazz'. Very nice album btw!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I sent Hay a mail to ask about possible Belgian clients; waiting for a reply.

Having studied the specs of his different models, I think I'd be most interested in the 200 after all. The bigger models have a really substantial footprint...

I didn't listen through the whole Noema album yet; the first track was rather slow (dare I say boring?). Any more uptempo songs on the album?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:

Having studied the specs of his different models, I think I'd be most interested in the 200 after all. The bigger models have a really substantial footprint...

I didn't listen through the whole Noema album yet; the first track was rather slow (dare I say boring?). Any more uptempo songs on the album?

- He might be on holiday of course.

- The 200 is his last design. The 303 was the smallest when i chose (one year ago). Reading the specs the '200' could have worked for me too.

- The album has many slower songs (which i like btw!), but i only bought 6 songs of the abum (iTunes).

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The album that really convinced me lately (beside many, many others) is Ane Brun's 'Spending time with Morgan'. Unbelievable insight in this 'simple' music.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Rethep said:
DocG said:

He is indeed. Got a message from his son that he'll be back next week...

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Rethep said:
DocG said:

He is indeed. Got a message from his son that he'll be back next week...

Please, give him my regards!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
For the sake of it' i tried a transistor-amp instaed of my tube-amp this week, just out of curiosity, with my relatively new speakers. It was the 'Denon PMA 655R'.

All the cliché's were there! More punchy in the whole frequency-range, although i read in reviews that the Denon has no supertight bass. Sharper, a bit more aggressive, vocals, more direct sound in general.

But.... the magic was gone. The coherence in sound was gone. Space was much smaller. It sounded like every instrument in the music was standing out, grabbing attention to itself.

I listened for about an hour and was happy to connect my tube-amp again. The only thing that misses is a slight amount of bass(tightness).

A very useful experiment though, and one that convinced me about my right choice for tube-amp and speakers.

For years i have thought that good hifi was only 'British', but now i know it can also be Dutch!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts