Peachtree Decco2 not performing up to par...why?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently purchased this unit, along with speakers, making it the first audiophile system I've ever really owned. Unfortunately, I instantly noticed something wrong. Having also used headphones and a different computer, I'm pretty confident it has something to do with either the Peachtree or the USB cable I'm using, which is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z5T2/ref=oss_product. Could it be the USB cable, or maybe I setup something wrong? I turned the tube on, plugged it in, and that was it, assuming everything else was already in order.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It might help if you actually described what you thought the problem was. "something wrong" isn't very useful. Telling us what speakers you've bought would help as well. Did you audition the combination or just buy it blind?

I expect somebody will be along to say it needs time to run in.

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering whether or not the Peachtree worked out for you as I'm considering an audition. Although might have to wait until next US trip, given the price difference!

A

Anonymous

Certainly a nice looking, well built unit. I think this model can fit the Z90 zone player in it. I think it's presentation is more suited to a more laid back style of music. It was smooth and detailed but really lacked the speed, bounce and sheer excitement I would expect from a grands worth of kit.
I love the integration of a DAC into an amp and this will be my next purchase but I think I will have to wait a while till I find the right unit.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Decco2 is a great amplifier, we run our Sonos and Sooloos through it and it drives a decent set of speakers comfortably. The fact the ZP90 hides inside is brilliant - like an upgraded ZP120.

What issue do you have?

A

Anonymous

TheHomeCinemaCentre:
The Decco2 is a great amplifier, we run our Sonos and Sooloos through it and it drives a decent set of speakers comfortably. The fact the ZP90 hides inside is brilliant - like an upgraded ZP120.

What issue do you have?

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good amp, I just think it lacked that special something, I guess it could have been the VA speakers it was playing through. What speakers do you find work well with it?

Furthermore, the source was a Marantz pearl and Sonos

A

Anonymous

TheHomeCinemaCentre:We have been running several sets on it, PMC GB1's and Dali Ikon 5's lately as well as the Tannoy DC6T. The Tannoy's sounded very nice indeed.

Maybe I should give it a spin at home! Peach tree do a Musicbox as well, but it doesn't seem available yet. Do you stock it?

manicm

In another review it was said that the Decco2 is not the last word in detail if that's what you're looking for.

The same review also stated that they thought it performed best when bypassing the valve pre-amp.

Play with different formats as well - IMO and others ALAC is the worst sounding lossless format.

A

Anonymous

manicm:Play with different formats as well - IMO and others ALAC is the worst sounding lossless format.
How is that possible? I thought it used virtually the same algorithm as FLAC and produced files of pretty much the same size.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
brittondave:TheHomeCinemaCentre:We have been running several sets on it, PMC GB1's and Dali Ikon 5's lately as well as the Tannoy DC6T. The Tannoy's sounded very nice indeed. Maybe I should give it a spin at home! Peach tree do a Musicbox as well, but it doesn't seem available yet. Do you stock it?

We only stock the Decco 2 at this stage but the Music Box looks cool.

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Any views on it used as a preamp/dac? I'm looking more at getting a decent preamp to feed into my power amp, but if I could combine it with a decent dac that would be worth a shot.

manicm

willgaunt:Any views on it used as a preamp/dac? I'm looking more at getting a decent preamp to feed into my power amp, but if I could combine it with a decent dac that would be worth a shot.

It has a built-in DAC already, so in effect if you do this you're negating your entire purchase. I would speak to your dealer and see what he can do.

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Probably wasn't being clear - that's what I meant! I'm looking for a new preamp, and possibly (although not so urgently) a dac. This would combine the two quite neatly. So I was wondering if anyone had heard it in this role, ie not using it as an integrated amp.

A

Anonymous

In that case it might be worth considering the Burson HA-160D - see the review on 6moons where they compare it to the Peachtree. I was about to audition the Peachtree when I read that article. The Burson is fantastic as usb/dac/preamp/headphone amp, and it looks superb too.

A

Anonymous

willgaunt:Probably wasn't being clear - that's what I meant! I'm looking for a new preamp, and possibly (although not so urgently) a dac. This would combine the two quite neatly. So I was wondering if anyone had heard it in this role, ie not using it as an integrated amp.
That's how its sister, the Peachtree Nova, is used here. Last I heard from the dealer was that he was selling it together with the new Rotel power amp, and found it pretty good.

I'm surprised by the comments about the preamp section. If it's anything like the Nova, the dac+preamp is very good indeed. It's the power amp section that lets it down a little.

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Had a look at the Burson but was a bit concerned by the lack of input options. Have been in email contact with Signal Path International, and it seems they're planning on bringing out a powerless version of the Peachtree Nova, so I'm reckoning this might be something to look out for. Will try to have a listen to current models in the meantime.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts