PC compared to Sonos for streaming

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
ReneTS said:
Can a Pc or Mac be as good a music streamer, as dedicated systems like Sonos or Bluesound?
No and yes. Sound wise yes probably. You would need a DAC. And the Sonos is so bullet proof. Plus can you sit in your listening room with a remote and control all, volume etc. I now use a CXN and it's not as bullet proof network wise as the Sonos, tonight I had to use it as the CXN was stuttering,

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ReneTS said:
Can a Pc or Mac be as good a music streamer, as dedicated systems like Sonos or Bluesound?

yes. Simples.

(any system that deals with network traffic is inherently a form of pc anyways as it works on a software layer, and in order to run the software, you need some form of computer with an operating system)

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The Sonus is effectively a computer and as cheese above states, it runs on the same network protocols. Using a PC, MAC or Linux (or a NAS) means not having to splash out on a Sonos which will be an extra piece of equipment given most people have a computer at home anyway. So save the money and use the computer and maybe spend the money saved on a better DAC or speakers.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
But how do you get it from your computer to your dac? I have a desktop and iPhone no lap top. I do have a Apple TV 2 that is hooked up optical to my pre amp. But not fond of the sq so far

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I would never want a PC as my main music source.

Certainly my own laptop has a noisy fan that I couldn't put up with in my lounge. Sometimes it's quiet, but at times it seems to really work hard and is very loud indeed. If my CD player or AVR did that I wouldn't put up with it.

A laptop/PC is a multi-tool so there would be times when I'd want to use the laptop as a laptop and my main music source at the same time, which wouldn't work in practice particularly well. As it is, I can get away with a relatively cheap computer that fills my needs perfectly adequately, but if I wanted to use it for music, I'd have to spend more on a better processor and something without the aforementioned noisy fan, so for me I'd prefer to spend the money on a dedicated streamer.

Certainly the laptop I have now is too slow for multi-tasking complex stuff without stuttering, and if I even said "hi-res" it would have a panic attack. I'm happy with my bargain basement laptop for what I use it for, but if you endeavour to get the latest hi-spec PC you can throw a huge amount of money at it very quickly.

PC's are such money pits I just don't think it's worth spending lots of money on them. A £2k machine of a few years ago is worthless now. I think a Sonos Connect looks pretty good value in comparison, despite its comparatively limited functionality.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Leeps said:

Certainly my own laptop has a noisy fan that I couldn't put up with in my lounge. Sometimes it's quiet, but at times it seems to really work hard and is very loud indeed. If my CD player or AVR did that I wouldn't put up with it.

A laptop/PC is a multi-tool so there would be times when I'd want to use the laptop as a laptop and my main music source at the same time, which wouldn't work in practice particularly well. As it is, I can get away with a relatively cheap computer that fills my needs perfectly adequately, but if I wanted to use it for music, I'd have to spend more on a better processor and something without the aforementioned noisy fan, so for me I'd prefer to spend the money on a dedicated streamer.

Certainly the laptop I have now is too slow for multi-tasking complex stuff without stuttering, and if I even said "hi-res" it would have a panic attack. I'm happy with my bargain basement laptop for what I use it for, but if you endeavour to get the latest hi-spec PC you can throw a huge amount of money at it very quickly.

PC's are such money pits I just don't think it's worth spending lots of money on them. A £2k machine of a few years ago is worthless now. I think a Sonos Connect looks pretty good value in comparison, despite its comparatively limited functionality.

to be honest Leeps, that post just comes across as a bit ill informed. There are fanless super quiet pc's such as this one http://www.cclonline.com/product/165919/ZBOXNANO-CI320-P-BE/Barebone-PCs/ZOTAC-ZBOX-CI320-nano-Plus-Mini-PC/BRB0363/?gclid=CMzI9Ifhm8gCFaEfwwody_EBTQ at 220 quid that would do an excellent job of playback of high res music if one so wished. You don't need to spend a lot of money on pc for playback. Music playback on a pc is actually a very low strain on a pc, and it's only those who don't know how computers work, or the die hard audiophiles creating problems where there are none that think you have to spend a lot of money. Heck a raspberry pi, with one of the dacs is silent as well and will handle high res.

As I've said before, what do you think runs the sonos? https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Sonos+Play%3A3+Teardown/12475

The play A3 only has a 266mhz cpu in it running a customised version of Linux. So there you have it, a super low specced pc that you are touting as a solution for not buying a pc. The lines between what people think as a computer, and what actually contains a computer nowadays are very very blurred.

Just for the record, I'm not nocking the Sonos, I think they are great. Just that people need to realise that streamers *are* computers by their very definition.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt said:
But how do you get it from your computer to your dac? I have a desktop and iPhone no lap top. I do have a Apple TV 2 that is hooked up optical to my pre amp. But not fond of the sq so far

USB connection into a DAC.

Something like this...

http://www.richersounds.com/product/dacs/cambridge-audio/dacmagic-100/camb-dac-mag-100-blk

Although look around and see what competition there is. Buying second hand will save money and since there's no moving parts in a DAC it wont be worn out!

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Leeps said:

You must have a cold war era laptop if it can't handle streaming music while you do something else on it. Streaming data is the simplest task a computer has to do and requires ****** all effort. The smallest CPU on the planet can handle streaming which is basically passing some data to somewhere else.

SteveR750

Jota180 said:
Mike_Schmidt said:
But how do you get it from your computer to your dac?  I have a desktop and iPhone no lap top.  I do have a Apple TV 2 that is hooked up optical to my pre amp.  But not fond of the sq so far

USB connection into a DAC.

Something like this...

http://www.richersounds.com/product/dacs/cambridge-audio/dacmagic-100/camb-dac-mag-100-blk

Although look around and see what competition there is.  Buying second hand will save money and since there's no moving parts in a DAC it wont be worn out!

Alternatively you can use a toslink optical cable. Some laptops double up the headphone socket with an optical sp/dif output. I'm sure all macbooks come with an optical out too. That said, the USB connection on the Cambridge audio dacmagic is better than optical, though the latter is electrically isolated so no mains / PS hum or interference. I use a relatively expensive machine as I wanted an optical capability, but things have moved on, so a £200 machine with a ton of memory is all I want. In fact, add a separate HDD and keep your music files on that, or a NAS device. For really serious listening just run the laptop in battery mode.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I've used both a Mac set up and dedicated streamers, but prefer the streamer every time.

It's horses for courses though, as personal requirements will be diffferent. I prefer the flexibility, the multi-room, multi-user capabilty and convenience that the streamer gives me. YMMV.

Sonos is so simple to set up and get running. No lengthy installations or configurations or other p***ing about.

I also have the Bluesound system, courtesy of it being already built-in to my NAD Master Series streamer. The app isn't that good though compared to the Sonos app.

Sound quality wise, I firmly believe it has 95% to do with the quality of the music files being streamed, either from your own local library, or from a streaming service. I've heard certain 320kbps Spotify tracks completely outdoing certain other "CD quality" Tidal tracks, or even tracks from certain locally ripped CD's. So I suppose there's still mileage in the old saying, "garbage in, garbage out".

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to give balance from the opposite argument, I use a Mac Mini as a source which streams lossless ALAC from a NAS, and increasingly Apple Music. In fact the (current) lack of any third-party Apple Music clients on non-Apple products is one thing that would disuade me from changing to a dedicated streamer, though whether Apple intends to licence-out anything equivalent to Spotify Connect or even the regular Spotify app (as found on eg the MCR610) is as yet unclear. I won't hold my breath though.

I don't have any multiroom necessilty and I've found using a computer as a source absolutely painless, beyond the initial ripping process. All computers just aren't built the same and the Mac Mini has always been totally silent in operation other than when undertaking something complicated like upgrading the OS. The argument that they're unsuited because you personally own a neanderthal knackered old tower-unit which fires-up like Boeing 747, or more likely a laptop with blocked vents and a clogged fan, isn't representative of them all

Additionally my Mac Mini also serves to deliver ripped DVDs and timeshifted content to my TV via the regular websites for BBC, ITV etc. In short I'm currently very happy with my set-up and I have no intention of changing it for some kind of streamer which ultimately has less flexibility and functionality just for the dubious benefit of it being a dedicated product.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I think the answer here is we all stream in different ways. Both systems have merits and better in different ways. I've had my Sonos ZP80 nearly 10 years. The argument that it only has a slow processor, well it has a program written specifically for it so its fast. For people non IT literate it's so dam easy I'm not one of them but just enjoy the ease and hassle free operation. However I'm sure the added flexibility, openness of a PC would suit many.

SteveR750

gowiththeflow said:
Sonos is so simple to set up and get running. No lengthy installations or configurations or other p***ing about.

Which really is the major drawback of PC sourced music - it's very much DIY, as good as J River is, if you are totally PC illiterate then you will struggle. Little things like renewing licenses when you re-install (new machine for example) means remembering to keep software license details, figuring out how to configure the output procesor to get the right sampling rates to match the input capabilities of your DAC, remembering which speaker output defaul to set windows to, and checking the right boxes to bypas the K mixer, and so on... PC as a source is a bit of a ball ache, but the results for £30 or so ontop of the price of your PC are well worth it. Spotify is 99% of the time as good to the ear, and always much slicker in use.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Which really is the major drawback of PC sourced music - it's very much DIY, as good as J River is, if you are totally PC illiterate then you will struggle. Little things like renewing licenses when you re-install (new machine for example) means remembering to keep software license details, figuring out how to configure the output procesor to get the right sampling rates to match the input capabilities of your DAC, remembering which speaker output defaul to set windows to, and checking the right boxes to bypas the K mixer, and so on... PC as a source is a bit of a ball ache, but the results for £30 or so ontop of the price of your PC are well worth it. Spotify is 99% of the time as good to the ear, and always much slicker in use.

or you could just use a dedicated os like daphile for example :)

I know what you are saying, but it's not that complicated anymore. Providing you are using an ASIO driver (something like coresound in osx iirc) then it will automatically set the correct sample rate. I think foobar and wasapi does this too. Also, the selection of output should be done at the software playback stage, then you don't have to worry about what windows is set to.

Not saying it's 100% plug and play, but I personally think you're either making out to be more complicated then it has to be, or (no offence meant) you haven't got it set up how you want it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
....Which really is the major drawback of PC sourced music - it's very much DIY, as good as J River is, if you are totally PC illiterate then you will struggle. Little things like renewing licenses when you re-install (new machine for example) means remembering to keep software license details, figuring out how to configure the output procesor to get the right sampling rates to match the input capabilities of your DAC, remembering which speaker output defaul to set windows to, and checking the right boxes to bypas the K mixer, and so on...

You're making it sound like I made the right choice in 2011 when I had to choose between a HTPC or a Mac Mini to integrate with my existing hifi, and I chose the latter, because I know I don't do any that. But even so, inputting your licence details just the once and setting your output device to your exteral DAC doesn't sound like rocket science, or have I missed something?

SteveR750

cheeseboy said:
SteveR750 said:

I know what you are saying, but it's not that complicated anymore.  Providing you are using an ASIO driver (something like coresound in osx iirc) then it will automatically set the correct sample rate.  I think foobar and wasapi does this too.  Also, the selection of output should be done at the software playback stage, then you don't have to worry about what windows is set to.

Not saying it's 100% plug and play, but I personally think you're either making out to be more complicated then it has to be, or (no offence meant) you haven't got it set up how you want it.

Personally I have no problem setting it up, as I'm reasonably computer literate. It's nothing like as slick as buying a dedicated streamer / system. I'm sure there is a significant number of audiophiles who would have no idea how to install an asio driver and then configure their OS and media player optimally to stream bit perfect. I've met IT techs who wouldn't "know" how to do it!

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
cheeseboy said:
SteveR750 said:

I know what you are saying, but it's not that complicated anymore. Providing you are using an ASIO driver (something like coresound in osx iirc) then it will automatically set the correct sample rate. I think foobar and wasapi does this too. Also, the selection of output should be done at the software playback stage, then you don't have to worry about what windows is set to.

Personally I have no problem setting it up, as I'm reasonably computer literate. It's nothing like as slick as buying a dedicated streamer / system. I'm sure there is a significant number of audiophiles who would have no idea how to install an asio driver and then configure their OS and media player optimally to stream bit perfect. I've met IT techs who wouldn't "know" how to do it!

I find clicking Google helps! I suppose if someone is at the level of not knowing how to switch a PC on or never uses them then they'd be better off with a Sonos box thing but if you've got a PC or laptop already and use the thing then at some point you've learnt to use it and all the features you enjoy. Doing hifi from a PC/MAC whatever is just another branch of the features people have already learnt to use. It's not rocket science or beyond any literate person.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
cheeseboy said:
SteveR750 said:

I know what you are saying, but it's not that complicated anymore.  Providing you are using an ASIO driver (something like coresound in osx iirc) then it will automatically set the correct sample rate.  I think foobar and wasapi does this too.  Also, the selection of output should be done at the software playback stage, then you don't have to worry about what windows is set to.

I find clicking Google helps!  I suppose if someone is at the level of not knowing how to switch a PC on or never uses them then they'd be better off with a Sonos box thing but if you've got a PC or laptop already and use the thing then at some point you've learnt to use it and all the features you enjoy.  Doing hifi from a PC/MAC whatever is just another branch of the features people have already learnt to use.  It's not rocket science or beyond any literate person.

I've worked in IT at the L3 level for 20 years and I bought Sonos precisely because I can't be arsed with all that guff!

Incidentally Major, Sonos will be supporting Apple Music by the end of the year, the first 3rd party vendor to be announced as doing so.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
cheeseboy said:
SteveR750 said:

I find clicking Google helps! I suppose if someone is at the level of not knowing how to switch a PC on or never uses them then they'd be better off with a Sonos box thing but if you've got a PC or laptop already and use the thing then at some point you've learnt to use it and all the features you enjoy. Doing hifi from a PC/MAC whatever is just another branch of the features people have already learnt to use. It's not rocket science or beyond any literate person.

I've worked in IT at the L3 level for 20 years and I bought Sonos precisely because I can't be arsed with all that guff!

Incidentally Major, Sonos will be supporting Apple Music by the end of the year, the first 3rd party vendor to be announced as doing so.

What's the difficulty? It takes minutes. The point is, if you have the gear already why buy something else?

SteveR750

Jota180 said:
The_Lhc said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
cheeseboy said:
SteveR750 said:

I find clicking Google helps!  I suppose if someone is at the level of not knowing how to switch a PC on or never uses them then they'd be better off with a Sonos box thing but if you've got a PC or laptop already and use the thing then at some point you've learnt to use it and all the features you enjoy.  Doing hifi from a PC/MAC whatever is just another branch of the features people have already learnt to use.  It's not rocket science or beyond any literate person.

What's the difficulty?  It takes minutes.  The point is, if you have the gear already why buy something else?

Maybe because many people like lhc just can't be arsed with the faff. It's like tinkering with a turntable, almost a separate hobby on its own merit (I've read a lot on the computer audio forums and like many hobbies it's apparent that for many, the hardware has become the focus over the real purpose).

Personally, I think buying a CD player or streamer is aa total waste of money, but I can understand pc streaming is for good reasons not for everyone, and unlikely to ever become a mainstream format.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Jota180 said:
The_Lhc said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
cheeseboy said:
SteveR750 said:

What's the difficulty? It takes minutes. The point is, if you have the gear already why buy something else?

I do agree, it's not difficult. That's not entirely the issue. For the best results from a PC, I'd avoid a wireless set-up, so I'd want an ethernet cable from my router (in my lounge sat next to hifi/AV set-up) and optical or HDMI from my laptop to my amp. But as my laptop is used for other things too, then what do I do? Get on my knees next to my TV to use MS Office?

It's precisely because a dedicated streamer like Sonos or Bluesound CAN'T be used for other things that I find them appealing. I can instal it (wired) and leave it there. Meanwhile I can take my laptop wherever I like and use its non-music playing functions without disconnecting anything.

But we're all different and particularly the way we use our PC/laptop may differ greatly. There are laptops and there are streamers: we all have the luxury of choosing whatever we feel suits our needs best in the same way that we all own different hifi and AV kit. If there was only one "correct" solition, we'd all be doing the same wouldn't we?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
but I can understand pc streaming is for good reasons not for everyone, and unlikely to ever become a mainstream format.

the problem with that statement is it's actually the other way around nowadays. Itunes, spotify and it's ilk are now the most popular ways to listen to music.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Leeps said:
But as my laptop is used for other things too, then what do I do? Get on my knees next to my TV to use MS Office?

no, you buy a dedicated pc for streaming, just as you would a dedicated streamer. This is what I meant by people putting unnecessary complications in the way. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts