Party speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey all, just wondering if I can use your expert opinion.

I'm currently buying myself a new set of speakers for uni next year, my current system is a NAD 3130 from 1985 running two Monitor Audio R252.

I'm looking to replace my current speakers with some new party speakers able to withstand loud sounds and large amounts of bass, but also keep a good quality. The best I've found so far are some Pioneer CS-7070 with a 10" driver and a good price tag of £200 http://www.pioneerprodj.eu/uk/products/42/99/161/CS-7070/specs.html

How well will they run on my amplifier? Are they good speakers? I'm not looking for perfect monitor studio perfection, but some quality would be nice.

Cheers

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
only know the cs-3070. and I like them very much.cheap and very good 3 way speakers.detailed sound, and good bass.

A

Anonymous

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. And your opinion.

Any worry with my Amp? it should be fine for ohm's just the watts are quite a lot higher on the speakers, so the amp won't be able to drive them to a high volume?

Cheers

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
They're not big huge speakers, but i used to have a pair of mission 731i's.

Ran them off a 20watt Nad 310 amp. Plenty of volume.
Sold them to my mate who still uses them with his decks powered by a Marantz 60watt amp. They have serviced many a party for 15 years now and still work perfectly even with the dust caps of the bass drivers pushed in.

He has a monitor audio active sub for extra bass. Works very well as you can control the amount of bass you want for normal,use or flat out party levels.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I find 'party speakers' don't make the best hi-fi speakers. Basically what you're after is a pair £200 speakers with the qualities of KEF Reference, which we know isn't going to happen. With that in mind, try the Wharfedale Xarus 5000 - 3x 8" bass drivers (or 1x 8" mid/2x 8" bass - not sure!). Big loud speakers for not a lot of money (around £150).

Although don't forget that whichever speakers you choose will be limited by your amplifier's output.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your response.

FrankHarvey, those Wharfedale's sure do look good, I wasn't looking for floorstanders, or that size, but for that price! I'd have trouble beating it.

My only worry is, my amps 8ohms, and they're 6ohms, would that cause any issues?

Going to be interested explaining what I'm using those speakers for to my landlord. ;)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Find the cheapest, rattiest, old pile of ____ amp & speakers (that still work) on ebay and use them for the party.

Take them to the local dump the next day. Most dumps have a place where someone will sell things like old electronics, furniture etc to students for a fiver.

In fact go to the local dump first (before ebay) and look for something suitable.

People at parties don't give a local dump about sound quality so long as it is loud and they can put their drinks and ashtrays on the speakers. People at parties only want to drink and pull. They don't need hifi for that.

Just use one speaker (no-one will know) and keep the second speaker as backup in case some twonk blows the first one up/falls on it/is sick on it/sets fire to it accidently.

Put your good hifi in storage for the night/weekend because some-one will try and steal it.

(I wrote the above on the basis that you mentioned Uni in your post. I have seen at first hand the aftermath of student parties and it sometimes involves all three emergency services!)

A

Anonymous

I got my NAD and MA's for a cheap party setup secondhand, this is the end of my second year, and after a good 20 months of bullying the MA's are abit warn out. Which is why something with more grunt and which can take a little more of a beating is good. But I also need something which I can do my digital audio editing on for my digital filmography as well. I don't want monitor quality though.

I've never come across anyone attempting to steal anything, I probably don't have parties as crazy for that. Quite often its just doped out sofa sessions listening to dubstep and some dnb.

Cheers for your input though

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Keepit:My only worry is, my amps 8ohms, and they're 6ohms, would that cause any issues?

6ohms will be fine, you'd only need to worry if they were 4ohms.

They're also 92dB sensitivity, which means they're louder than most speakers for any given volume
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

AEJim:Here
- :)

YES YES YES..........buy these....

brings back so many memorys of uni parties....

these can withstand almost anything.........

Brutal!!!!!

A

Anonymous

I would snap them up straight away, but its only for 1 speaker

A

Anonymous

brittondave:

sheesh kebabs...........well noticed ....very sneeky.

quite silly what they are doing advertising the price per speaker ....

I wonder how many chargebacks they will get .... advert is very clear though, but the problem is that some people do not read properly

A

Anonymous

me included....

I guess they could be per speaker in case someone wants a single one for a monitor when DJ ing in a club.

A

Anonymous

Hey all,

If you import US speakers, do you need to use them with US amp and a transformer?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
You would only need to worry about voltage conversion with a powerd speaker that has a built in amp or any mains operated electrical product.

Normal passive hifi loudspeakers will work worldwide.

A

Anonymous

Ok cheers. What do people think about these?

Very cheap compared to the UK market

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?ProdID=57356

As I'm basically ready to order :)

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
They will do the job for sure. I just hope you have no neighbours there.

That price is for 1 speaker remember and shipping will probably be expensive if they are coming from America due to size and weight.

And you will have to pay import duty on the value of them.

A

Anonymous

Man you're right, I thought it was for a pair, and its cheaper to get a pair over here for £330. Oh well I might as well get the Wharfedale's just wish they weren't so big http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wharfedale-XARUS5000-BLACK-Xarus-Standing-Speakers/dp/B00391GQ00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272060655&sr=8-1

Cheers again. I'm living on a student street, so it should be as sweet as pie

A

Anonymous

I noticed them for a crazy price the other day on the internet.....appprox £180

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
You say you wish the wharfedales weren't so big, but the cerwin vegas are much bigger. Maybe not as tall, but much wider.

They look good anyway and are cheap and will be great for parties

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts