Panasonic V20, Will i notice a Difference

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have 90% decided to get the 50" panasonic V20 as an upgrade to my Pioneer 436SXE; i am just asking if in your views i will notice an imporvement from the Pioneer to the Panasonic?

I know the Panasonic is 1080P which my Pioneer is not but do you think there will be an increase in picture quality and overall performance or will the improvement be minimal and as such a waste of money upgrading?

I will of course be viewing the Panasonic but would also like your thoughts.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I sit approximately 3 metres away from my set and watch mostly DVD's Through my Denon 1940, Bluray movies via my PS3 and play games via my Xbox 360.

I watch very little normal TV

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Reasonably close for a 50in TV, but as you're watching hardly any SD TV, should be fine; Blu-ray/HD games should punch out more, though you maybe disappointed in the picture-quality of some DVDs, as there's obviously more upscaling involved (both in terms of screen resolution and size).

To make more of your superb set, I'd personally recommend ditching your (admittedly great) Denon in favour of a dedicated Blu-ray player from this season's excellent batch - DVD upscaling is something the latest-gen BD players are excelling at. And you'd improve on BD performance (particularly motion-handling) over your PS3, too. A matching Panasonic DMP-BD85 would be an ideal companion for your plasma (and reduce your remote-control count!)

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare, what about two metres and 4 metres away?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Clare

I will look into your suggestion for the BD player as i have been curious of late as to if a dedicated BD would perform better than the PS3 (which I guess is quite old in AV terms).

Out of curiosity when are you guys going to be reviewing the 50" V20 as reviews are quite hard to come by for it at the moment and just want to make sure i am purchasing the right set (ideally a Pioneer LX5090 or 500A would be my choice but sadly as much as i look i am unable to get hold of one now).

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
gel:
Clare, what about two metres and 4 metres away?

Thanks

Two metres - just six foot - from a 50in TV would be a tad overwhelming - and do no favours at all to upscaled content of any kind.

4m is fine for any kind of content.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
gavin101:
Clare

I will look into your suggestion for the BD player as i have been curious of late as to if a dedicated BD would perform better than the PS3 (which I guess is quite old in AV terms).

Out of curiosity when are you guys going to be reviewing the 50" V20 as reviews are quite hard to come by for it at the moment and just want to make sure i am purchasing the right set (ideally a Pioneer LX5090 or 500A would be my choice but sadly as much as i look i am unable to get hold of one now).

Thanks

I'll need to check with the test team. I know we've the 50in VT20 coming up in the next issue (on sale 27th July; with subscribers from 22nd July).

A

Anonymous

I saw the 50 vt20 in currys yesterday and i have got to say it looked fantastic,just watching bbc hd,I think this will be THE tv to beat.

A

Anonymous

Claire would the panasonic bd85 or bd 65 make a difference for me with my equipment(see bio)as i dont need the analogue outs of the bd85,thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep - it's not just the analogue-outs that set the Panasonic 'BD85 apart from its cheaper sibling. You get enhanced sound and picture capabilities, plus DNLA support/wi-fi option (if the latter matters to you).

A

Anonymous

Thanks claire,I was thinking of getting the sony 370 but would much rather the pana because like you said "cut down on the remotes",and I think that it would be a better match.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts