Panasonic TX-P46GT30 PDP Fail

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
So... 9 months old and a new PDP required.

I know there have been other 'issues' reported on here, namely 'green blob', but has anyone else had a panel replaced this quickly?

I'm a bit gutted really, as the TV had performed faultlessly until last week when I noticed that the right hand side (about a third of it) had seriously bad IR, coupled with a loss of colour

Fingers crossed that the repair company get it done quickly, as the 'loan' LCD 42" Sony wouldn't be out of place in the Science Museum, and the picture is absolutely awful!

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
sorry to hear that,and hopefully you'll get your tv back asap.

had mine for 9mths also,but no problems to date,touch wood.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
noticed mine when I was tuned to channel 999 on Freesat...

the screen is almost all black, but I could clearly see the EPG, and The Media Server graphics on the right hand side of the screen...

maybe worth a look at yours in a darkened room?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
believe me i have...... :rofl:

read a few posts about gt30's developing faults,but i guess its just a small percentage of sets sold.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yep i had the panel on my 42GT30 replaced due to a strange loss of black in 3 distinct areas of the screen (looked like clouding but obviously that's impossible on a plasma) and after a 3 week wait the tv came back with exactly the same fault present, i started a thread about it called 'Help! GT30 has a strange clouding effect...what is it?'.

The tv was 10months old at this point and when the repair company came out to inspect it again i was told they could do nothing further to solve the issue which i found ridiculous, they offered to replace the panel yet again but didn't think this would solve the issue. After that i then had to fight my retailer (Richer Sounds) for a resolution.

What i will say is that even Richer Sounds themselves now admit they have had many issues with the GT30 with various faults, i received a letter from Mr Julian Richer (founder and chairman of Richers) that stated as much.

I hope your issue is repaired quickly and that the tv returns with no further issues.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
After putting aside all the neurosis I had after extensively researching the GT30 series before finally making my purchase (green blobs, fluctuating brightness levels amongst others), your's and Oldboy's experiences are bringing it all flooding back.

I really hope it's sorted speedily and satisfactorily for you, and I just pray I'm not writing a similar post sometime within the next 5 months! Good luck.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Update

Received a call last week, Panasonic have no PDP's in stock (wonder why that is...??!!) and that they aren't expecting stock until late September 2012...

So, I will have been without my GT30 for over a month before a new PDP even arrives in the UK...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Is the repair not up to your retailer though? Or is it that the retailers repair agent hasn't been able to source a panel for you and therefore it's been left to Panasonic to source the new panel?

Either way it's not good service is it, there seems to be a dearth of Panasonic GT50 tvs in the UK at this moment in time too...coincidence?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
It was supplied by JL, their 'agent' is struggling to get Panasonic to supply a new PDP (seems there are none in the UK)

JL have said that if by Monday next week there is no news, they will discuss a 'replacement' with me...

Hmm... no 46" GT50, what to do gents?

Answers on a postcard please!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Well John Lewis are normally very good with customer service so as there is no 46 inch version of the GT50 i would be aiming for a 50 inch GT50 if a new panel is not forthcoming by next monday. The only issue is the lack of stock of this tv in the UK at the moment which would mean having one on order and yet more waiting, there are alternatives out there such as the Sony KDL-46HX853 which i recently purchased but this is an LED tv and not plasma.

If plasma is what you want to stay with then i completely understand that as i wanted to replace my faulty GT30 with a GT50 but had a real issue getting one so i went off to demo as many tvs as i could and settled on the 46HX853. There are models such as the Samsung ES8000 and 7000 models to consider which are again LED but i found every one i tested had backlight issues so for me it would be either a 50GT50 or 46HX853 but i would suggest you try to demo for yourself to see what else may be out there that you would consider a good alternative.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Oldboy

GT50 would be my preference, and JL have stock at the moment...

Biggest issue is the uplift in price to £1400 from £1100, not sure I should be out of pocket to replace 'like with like' (so to speak, given there is no 46 GT50)

No other brand really does it for me, so I'd like to stick with Panasonic. I've even 'looked' at their LCD range, but can't help thinking I'm sacrificing picture quality over a Plasma

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday, and see what news this brings!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
MrW said:
Thanks Oldboy

GT50 would be my preference, and JL have stock at the moment...

Biggest issue is the uplift in price to £1400 from £1100, not sure I should be out of pocket to replace 'like with like' (so to speak, given there is no 46 GT50)

No other brand really does it for me, so I'd like to stick with Panasonic. I've even 'looked' at their LCD range, but can't help thinking I'm sacrificing picture quality over a Plasma

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday, and see what news this brings!

Well for me there would seem to be a good point for negotiation here, as the GT series doesn't support a 46 inch screen this year then the 50 inch is the nearest to a like for like replacement. It's the nearest in screen size to your current 46GT30 as you should not be expected to go down a screen size to a 42 inch screen so i would be wanting the 50 inch as a straight replacement...there is no other alternative in this years range so you should not be out of pocket or be expected to make up the difference in price. It's not your fault that Panasonic decided to not make a 46 inch version this year is it so a 50 inch it is then with no additional cost to yourself.

That's what i would do as a like for like replacement simply is out of the question then a 50 inch is the only viable solution, i think a bit of friendly negotiation pointing out the lack of a 46 inch this year should serve you well as i can't really see any argument the retailer could make here. The only other thing that could happen is that they refuse that solution and refund you in full but from what i've heard John Lewis have excellent customer service so push for the 50 inch at no extra cost.

Considering the hassle you have had with even getting a panel replaced on the 46GT30 i think that's the least they could do really and if you don't ask you don't get ;)

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
ST50 isn't really a like for like, so I'll take your advice Oldboy and push the point if the 'inevitable' phone call comes on Monday!!

Will keep you posted!!

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
JL's customer service is as spot on as ever...

Just received a call from them, they are passing my 'case' over to the BER (beyond economical repair) team whom will be in touch to discuss a replacement for the GT30, as the repair agent still has no date for the replacement PDP

So, just awaiting the call to discuss the options

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, 36 hours on and no word from JL, so I called them....

Seems they have 'decided' to refund my original purchase price, and that's it!

I explained that that leaves me without a TV, and therefore in a worse position, so after a few internal phone calls, I was offered a
Samsung PS51E6500EU, or an LG 50" plasma for £799.00.
Clearly, this is not going in the 'correct' direction, as the Samsung is not a patch on the GT30, and I don't even know what model the LG is, but rest assured its a budget Plasma!

I am therefore now awaiting a call from a Manager at JL, having explained that I do not think it is right that after 10 months of owenership they leave me high and dry

UPDATE:

JL called back, tried to push the full refund route, but after some detailed conversation have agreed to change it for a 50GT50 with a 'nominal' amount of money coming from me, given that it is an 'upgrade' in screen size

Hoping it will be with me in the next week or so....

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm inpressed that you managed to steer them away from the full refund route, which I suppose they would have been legal in sticking to.

I'd be curious about just how "nominal" the money difference that you have to pay between the old 46GT30 and the new 50GT50 turns out to be.

I'm glad that you were not persuaded by the Samsung TV, which would have been significantly worse than your old 46GT30. Or indeed by the nameless LG plasma TV, which would certainly have been very much worse than your 46GT30, especially regarding black level.

Keep fighting!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Personally i'm shocked with how you have been treated as John lewis have had glowing reports of great customer service but on this occasion it would seem they fell short so lots of kudos to you for fighting your corner, nice one! Retailers should not be allowed to get away with shoddy service and on this occasion your approach was fully justified, why should you be given a refund and left without a tv with no consultation from JL??

Both of the tvs that were offered would have represented a major step down in performance and features from the GT30 which was a derisory offer imo, what is the 'nominal' figure JL quoted you to get the GT50?? I'm still of the opinion that you should not be expected to part with any money to get the tv replaced but if the figure is low enough then i guess it's a fair compromise so how much are you being asked to pay?

I just hope that you receive the GT50 soon and that it gives you many years of happy viewing.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Morning!

JL have agreed to 'upgrade' to the GT50 for £100, which I can't really complain at

I'll get 2 of the latest 3D Glasses to go with the GT50 via the Panasonic redemption webpage, and already have 2 pairs from the GT30, which I can keep. (I also have the box, stand, instructions and remote, none of which they would like back!)

I'm just awaiting JL calling me to finalise the details....

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
£100 is a very good price to go from the 46GT30 to the 50GT50, an upgrade in both screen size and technology, well done!

MrW said:
(I also have the box, stand, instructions and remote, none of which they would like back!)

You should be able to shift those 46GT30 items on AV Forums classified (but check their rules first) or, failing that, on ebay or Gumtree.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
thats a pretty good deal.. i have a 42VT30 from last year thats going great.. if it did breakdown though.. there is no VT50 in 42" size so i'd be in a simillar position and would probably try and negotiate up to a 50VT50... but hopefully wont be a worry.. even if i secretly wish i had a 50" screen :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Agreed, £100 seems fair to me i guess.

At least it sees an end to the matter and you get an upgrade in screen size and performance which for that amount of money does seem pretty good value. Bit strange that JL only wanted the actual screen to be returned as every tv i have had to return (which is many) it has been required that the tv is returned in the original box with ALL accessories and cables, instructions etc that came with the tv...sounds like you might be able to make some money on a well known auction site with these that may well offset the £100 outlay for the GT50 which is a real bonus eh!

Let's just hope that the GT50 arrives soon and that you are happy with it and fingers crossed you get no issues with it like you have had with the GT30.

cobb007

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
unfortuntely the 30 series glasses use IR

and the new 50 series are blue tooth so your old ones will not work!

good deal overall though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts