Panasonic TX-P46G20 versus TX-P50G20 for SD?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I sit at 2.8m fom my current Panasonic Plasma 37" HD Ready tv (almost 3 years old), which I have been delighted with.

I know there have been many threads on TV size and viewing distance, and I know that at 2.8m a 50" screen will be great for HD content for my situation (I have a Sky+HD box and Denon S-301 DVD player - plan to get Blu-Ray player soon).

However, the reality is that me and my wife still watch a lot of SD content despite always looking on Sky HD channels first, and that I have a very large DVD collection (SD with upscaling - still not HD). So, my question is if SD content will be much different between the 46 & 50 inch tv?

If there is a big difference for SD content, and assuming the 46" will provide a better picture, what can I use to upscale the Sky+HD SD channels to provide an acceptable PQ on the 50"? I am interested as I am looking to upgrade the whole system, so for example will the Denon 2310 upscale to a better SD picture quality than the Sky+HD box (Anchor Bay) and make it acceptable on the 50"? Any other options for upscaling SD content from the Sky+HD box (I know a lot of good Blu-Ray players do a decent job of upscaling DVD, so not such a big issue - shame they don't take an SD HDMI input and use the inbuilt technology to upscale other sources other than the onboard DVD).

I currently have the Sky+HD set to 1080i as I don't see any real difference on SD channels if I set it to Auto and let my current TV do the upscaling.

Opinions welcome.

Thanks,

Paul.

Sky Explorer

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul,

I was in the same boat as you are far as "will SD pictures look better on a 46" compared to a 50 TV" about a month ago. I went along to my local Panasonic shop as they had a 50" G20 along side a 46" G20 which enabled me to compare the picture on both. I sat and watched them for a while, watching standard def from freesat, and in my opinion they both looked the same as far as SD picture quality goes. The biggest difference I found in picture quality was to switch the picture mode from Dynamic to THX mode and turn Intelligent Frame Creation off.

I ended up with a 46" as the 50" ended up being just too big to fit into the space we had planned.

Hope that helps

Steve

A

Anonymous

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

If you had the space, would you have chosen the 50"?

How far do you sit from the TV?

Paul.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts