Panasonic GT30

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone and good evening Love the site and long time lurker, but decided to register and join in. I have just purchased the panasonic 42GT30 from richer sounds with the free blue ray and glasses deal and am really impressed so far,based on the tv being so highly recommended by this site. I have gone with the setting posted on another sites facebook account (you know who i mean :shhh: ) and then had a play with the advanced settings for white and colour management as the screen does seem to suffer a green tint at certain times, which is strange as it will disappear as quick as it comes. eg A man is wearing a white shirt, which looks fine ( nice bright white) but his hair will have a green tint and his face will have a yellow tint but the next scene will look fine, the persons face looks natural with no green or yellow tints although i am no expert Another query is the recommendded settings for 16:9 is off, but the picture will not fill the full screen and i am then concerned with screen burn due to the black border, and recently some white dash type marks, so i have now turned this function on to prevent this. Am i missing something obvious, as this is the first plasma i have owned. your help would be really appreciated P

A

Anonymous

I have the 46GT30B, but have not found it necessary to go into advance setting (I'm talking about the Proffessional settings here) to change any of the white, colour or gamma settings. I have just set up the basics on the 'Normal' picture setting (Contrast around 75%, Brightness 50%, Colour 45%, Colour Balance = Cool, Sharpness 35%).

However, from the 'normal' Picture Advance Settings I do have the following set:

Side Bar = High (manual recommends this to prevent screen burn)

16.9 Overscan = On (prevents some SD transmissions from screen flicker on the screen edge, although a tiny bit of screen content is lost but not worth worrying about)

Pixel Orbiter = Auto

What do you mean by 'the recommendded settings for 16:9 is off'? I watch movies from Sky and Blu-ray DVD often that have the black bars top and bottom (to change this and fill the screen means you miss quite a bit of picture content), but have no issues with screen burn. I've had my TV for almost three months now and no sign of any screen burn (I don't do gaming, which I think can sometimes be cause for concern). My TV 'Aspect' is set to 'Auto'.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Ok, a couple of things here.

Firstly, the set is still brand new and any new plasma panel takes a while to calm down colour wise. I wouldn't get too much into the calibration side of things until you've had the set for a good couple of months. When I first got mine, I noticed a fair bit of posterization on faces and jaggies when watching footy, but those have all but disappeared after a couple of months. I recommend using either the default Cinema (colour balance warm or natural/normal depending on preference) or THX modes for the first couple of months. While you might find the colours slightly green initially, they're actually a lot more accurate than the other modes and, just as importantly, so is the grayscale and gamma (make sure it's set to 2.2). If you're still not happy with the set after a couple of weeks and are still noticing bad fluctuations, have a word with Richer.

Secondly, we have the overscan issue. Overscan tends to differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some sets zoom in more than others when it's enabled. Obviously, the first thing that happens when you enable it is that you are no longer 1:1 pixel mapping which has more of an effect with games and blu-rays than it does with tv. Many broadcasters send out the signal with slight black bars around the picture to compensate for the fact that many sets overscan by default. Therefore, I think it's a good idea to have it enabled for normal tv viewing on the Panny. You won't notice any degradation in resolution by having it on, but you might lose a small amount of the image around the sides. With Blu-ray and games, it's more a question of preference. With 2.40:1 film material, the black bars will be smaller, but you'll be losing a small amount of the sides of the image so it's a trade-off. Some might point out that it's a bad idea because the TV is having to re-scale the image rather than it being the full, pure 1080p HD image but, in practice, the tv does a great job and I can't spot any degradation in image quality on a 50" screen.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for both your reply's

I have taken your advice and gone for the cinema pre set mode with a normal colour balance for the foreseeable future.

I did find some settings for the tv on the AV forum which did seem to give the telly a better over all picture on the proffessional 1 settings but will save them for later when the set has got some hours behind it.

P&S

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed a black line going across the bottom of the screen on there 50GT30, when viewing certain full screen freesat channels? It goes about 3 quarters the length of the screen, and is very near the edge. I dont know if its a fault with my tv, or its just due to the way programmes are broadcast.

TRENDING THREADS