Panasonic DMR-EX75EB - HDMI option greyed out in menu

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm trying to connect my Pansonic DMW-EX75EB DVD HDD recorder to my Panasonic TX37LZD70 LCD TV using the HDMI outlet. I'd previously been connecting via RGB scart.

However, I can't force the DVD down the HDMI route, as the functions/setup/connection/hdmi settings menu within the DVD have the first 3 of 4 menu options greyed out so I can't set it!

I've looked at lots of other menus and gone through the manual until my eyes have glazed over looking for clues but to no avail. I'd welcome any ideas from fellow forum members as to how this could be resolved - there's nothing on the Pansonic website. Thanks in advance for any help.

A

Anonymous

Hello
Have you actually connected it up using the hdmi cable yet?

A

Anonymous

Hi - thanks for your assistance.

I've tried connecting the HDMI cable, but the TV doesn't show anything when selecting that input. I've disconnected the current scart link between the DVD and TV at the same time to try to 'force it' down that input, again to no avail. The menu options within the DVD remain greyed whether the HDMI is linked or not, and whether any other connections are present or not.

I 've spoken to a friend this morning who has the same DVD model, his menu options are similarly greyed out although I'm not sure if he has tried running through HDMI.

Very bizarre, but frustrating!

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
This sounds odd and I have tried to find an online manual to have a look at the options available.

The fact that you are not seeing anything from the DVD via your selected input immediately makes me wonder if you have selected the correct input and whether the dvd is on.

Im sure you have and I don`t intend to be sarcastic with those comments either.

Have you tried connecting to an alternative input or tried another device to the input just to confirm there isn`t a fault with the input itself?

A

Anonymous

Hi Bf1 - thanks for your interest, and apologies for not re-posting sooner but I only got around to having another go over the weekend.

I'm convinced it's a problem with the DVD REC/HDD unit itself. I tried a different HDMI lead and input socket on my TV (i.e. the ones that my Sky HD box currently run through), but to no avail. The TV and DVD rec are both Panasonic

I have also tried the DVD recorder in another HDMI TV (Sony) with the same result.

One thing that I did discover is that the unit appeared to be blocking other HDMI signals to the TV simply because it stopped the HDMI input from the Sky box from working when both units were connected via HDMI concurrently (which is the usual configuration!) As if by magic, when I disconnected the DVD rec HDMI lead from the TV input the Sky HD signal sparked back into life! On top of this, the menus on the unit can't be accessed when connected via HDMI either.....as there is just the default TV dark screen when nothing is being passed through so I couldn't navigate any of the menus!

When disconnected, and back to RGB connection, all works OK, and the set-up menus are accessible....but with the HDMI options greyed out.

So, the problem I have now is whether it's worth sending the DVD unit off for repair. It works quite happily on RGB scart, I just think I'm not making use of the HDMI output on the unit and TV, and I bought the DVD in the first place as it had HDMI output and allowed me to future-proof that device for when I got an HD set

Of course, the guarantee has run out......usually I would have bought additional cover as I tend to get my stuff through the excellent Richer Sounds, but for some reason didn't buy the extended guarantee on that occasion - DOH!

Finally, does anyone have a contact number for any technical support from Panasonic? Could it be firmware?

A

Anonymous

minsterman:
One thing that I did discover is that the unit appeared to be blocking other HDMI signals to the TV simply because it stopped the HDMI input from the Sky box from working when both units were connected via HDMI concurrently (which is the usual configuration!) As if by magic, when I disconnected the DVD rec HDMI lead from the TV input the Sky HD signal sparked back into life!

Try disabling Viera link on the telly, that might help with the above. Also make sure the HDMI input isn't skipped in 'input labels'.
With both cables connected. Under 'connection'- 'progressive', select on.' (On mine it says to disconnect the hdmi lead to select off, which if you read it another way, means hdmi will only work on progressive).
Try playing a dvd with both hdmi and scart connected, then stop so the dvd logo comes up, then try to access the HDMI settings. I don't know if this will work but it's worth a crack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts