Panasonic DMP-BDT 500 Got issues

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

My Panny Blu Ray player is causing me concern - I love it but this doesnt seem right and I would like to know if anyone else has issues please?

It keeps having issues on play back of certain discs and I am not sure if it is having pairing issues with my fairly old Sony av amp - 5400es or it's the player itself ?

When I watch certain discs it has gremlins (but I also had issues with my old Sony 370 blu ray player and wondered if the Sony amp might be at fault), it freezes on certain discs (not all, some are fine) and sometimes omits what I can only describe as high pitched wineing noise.

Films with definite issues are : Jurrassic Park, Frankenweenie, Drive, Alice in Wonderland (new version), Lorax, Harry Potter Deathly H 2 and possibly a couple of others that I cannot remember just now. Other discs (and I have loads) it plays faultlessly. Very weird.

I bought it from Richer Sounds (without the 5 year warranty but without looking for the receipt it must still be within the manufacturers warranty as it is not that old), its multi regional too but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

It is all linked to a Panny GT30 42" TV, which is another issue ! Posted before on this and had loads of advice (thanks Oldboy et all) but it still automatically switches to the tv input on my Sony amp when I turn the thing on using the Veira link option (sound only / switches to the right hdmi video input).

So all in all it fustrates at times. What would you do ?

Advice and feedback appreciated - thinking of taking it back to RS and moaning, perhaps I should have waited for the Sony 790 ?

I cant help but think my Sony amp might have some sort of issue though ? Maybe to do with hdmi handshake, but I have tried everything.

Firmware is always up to date on both tv and blu ray player and unless I am missing something I do not think the older Sony 5400 can be updated by any firmware ? The amp is not 3d ready so sound goes to av amp whilst the blu ray player goes directly to the hdmi 2 input on the GT 30.

Any ideas please?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
As above r.e. firmware.

Also, if you think the receiver might be causing issues (in principle your AVR shouldn't interfere with BD playback in any way), you can test this theory by taking the AVR out of the loop and connecting your BDP directly to the TV. If the same playback problems occur, you know it's not the AVR.

I get what you're saying about auto-switching. It's well documented that Panasonic TVs are a bit hit-and-miss in this regard. In other words, don't worry; your TV isn't doing anything unusual, at least compared with other Panasonic TVs. As long as you can switch to the correct input manually, everything is fine. It'd be nice if auto-switching worked flawlessly, but unfortunately that's not the case.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Did post above that firmware is all up to date but thanks for the re-assurance re Panny switching.

Didn't even think of just playing the Blu ray player direct to tv only (so simple too so silly me) but it is input directly to the tv via hdmi 2, it's just the sound part that goes to the av amp via hdmi 5 (choose hdmi 5 as the amp manual says this is the best input for music via hdmi). Will give it a go at some point soon, too busy at mo.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
To be fair, you advised about both firmware and HDMI connections. :oops:

I can only add that I had a 2012 Panasonic Blu-ray player and I had no problems playing any discs. It's probably time to give Richer Sounds a call, as you shouldn't be experiencing problems with so many films.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Just to update if anyone was interested.

Found out my 1 year warranty expired in May just gone so I feared the worst.

Phoned up Richer Sounds Maidstone and explained my issues and sort advice. The manager there, Ben, phoned me back after a initial conversation with a guy called Tom. He told me that as I was a regular spending loyal customer and despite it being out of warranty, to bring it in to store so that they can test it themselves plus test the discs I have issues with on their in store 500 to see if it experiences the same issues. He said that whatever the issue, if it is faulty, that they will sort something out if the player itself is at fault. It may cost me a nominal fee but he is sure something can be done.

Will let you all know the outcome but that is brilliant customer service so hats off to the RS team in Maidstone, thought they deserved some credit despite it being out of warranty (just).

Off on hols for two weeks on Saturday but I will keep you all posted.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Spent an hour with the guys at RS in Maidstone today and they have been more than helpful and also found my gremlins with the 500 a bit un-expected.

I took 3 Blu Ray discs (could have taken more) that I knew exactly where and at what point I was having issues with on play back on my 500.

Was quite re-assured that I wasn't going mad - we played the Alice in Wonderland new version through my player on to the stores demo plasma (also a Panny 2013 tv like my 2012 GT30 but latest model) using their leads. And sure enough it freeezed. We then used their Panasonic 500 demo unit and suffered exactly the same issue. At this point, Ben the store manager thought it might be a firmware issue and checked his demo version was up to date and also cross referenced the latest Panasonic literature. My 500 is up to date, his store demo wasn't so he proceeded to update it. Same issue at same point (46 minutes in if anyone has a copy - just as the Queen uses a flamingo as a golf club to hit a hedgehog as a ball). He then thought it might be a laser issue or possibly a bad batch of players (their demo player would have been roughly the same batch as my player as I bought it within a week of release). He then got a new stock un-boxed player from the storeroom and played the disc again with the same issue. We both agreed that this was not acceptable from a flagship model. My discs are in excellent / as new condition and just to prove a point we tested the disc on a budget Sony player and a cambridge 753 (? I think) player and the disc was fine. So very frustrating and very disappointed.

To conclude, i am off on hols for two weeks now so Ben has agreed to send my player off to Panasonic with my 3 discs (and notes of when it starts playing up on all three discs) to see what they have to say. So far at no cost to me but we will see what their conclusion is and go from their.

Again, will keep you all updated if anyone is interested but dont expect this from a £250 plus player.

jamoli

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
What was the outcome of sending the machine back to Panasonic? I ask because I'm looking for a new blu ray player and the 500 features on my shortlist of prospective purchases!

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I own one of these and I have had no issues with disc replay whatsoever. Sounds like you were unlucky and I hope RS get you sorted. I do have an issue with the remote though, the swipe/touchpad is the most infuriating device ever created. I have my 500 in the bedroom so Netflix is a boon, but trying to use the interface with the remote will drive you batshit crazy |(

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
jamoli said:
What was the outcome of sending the machine back to Panasonic? I ask because I'm looking for a new blu ray player and the 500 features on my shortlist of prospective purchases!

Well ....... been very patient as Panasonic still have it. The reason I am being patient is that as described above it was out of warranty however RS have been brilliant and basically offered me a deal where I can exchange it if I want or put some more money on top of what I paid to upgrade to it to a newer player (or one that has reduced in price from last years models).

Basically, Panasonic had it with my 3 discs (their were more) marked - timewise - as to where the faults were. I was in no rush as I have had lots of holidays. From what I understand they ordered a new part (presumably a new laser but do not exactly know) and fitted it only to get the same issues. It was then refered back to their workshops and I am still to date waiting their outcome.

In the meantime RS have asked me to return the powerlead and "that" awful remote so that we can come to an agreement to do an exchange. The only issue being I am skint at the mo and do not want to downgrade but want to put some money in the pot to upgrade. I have a nice cheque in the bank clearing Wednesday to achieve this !

So apologies, at the moment I am none the wiser about what is exactly wrong with it (as are so it seems the Panasonic engineers).

To the post above this one - I loved this player and yes I have been unlucky but please read the post about my player, the RS 500 demo player and the newer - brand new - 500 stock held at RS. All very weird and obviously still not resolved by the Panasonic team who still have my player over a month plus on.

Thinking about exchanging for the flagship - but we have not done a press release or shouted about it yet (very strange Sony) - BDP A6000. Yet to see any news or reviews on this player yet but RS stocks it so we shall see. Can anyone shed any light please ? Or any other upgrade ideas most welcome.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Bought one of these from RS....1st one was returnrd today

with my region1 DVD copy of Alien3 still inside it, the cd draw would not open ( suspect it was a reconditioned one, it was replaced no quibble) - I tried my 1st BD today and got a message ref copyrights or authentication of disc pop up a 2nd attempt to start said disc worked no problem

this is my 1st BDP having stuck with DVD out of stubborness these past few years is this a common problem with BD players or is there a problem developing - it is not and will not be connected to the net, can some one explain this framware thing for me please.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Bought one of these from RS....1st one was returnrd today

with my region1 DVD copy of Alien3 still inside it, the cd draw would not open ( suspect it was a reconditioned one, it was replaced no quibble) - I tried my 1st BD today and got a message ref copyrights or authentication of disc pop up a 2nd attempt to start said disc worked no problem

this is my 1st BDP having stuck with DVD out of stubborness these past few years is this a common problem with BD players or is there a problem developing - it is not and will not be connected to the net, can some one explain this framware thing for me please.

I swapped mine in the end for a Sony 790 and even got an Apple TV thrown in all for the same as I paid for the 500 originally a year or so ago. So happy with the Sony, it has been brilliant, I really did well out of the whole experience.

Panasonic could not fix it, despite changing the laser mechanism. Now hopefully you have a good un, I know others have not had any issues.

As for firmware - you need to link up your player via ethernet cable to a router / internet or use the players wireless capabilities to find your network. On the options menu of your new Blu Ray player will be an option to Update the player and this is what you will need to do. Blu ray players are more fussy than good old dvd players and firmware needs updating to help the play back of some discs. This is very lay mans terms and I am sure someone with more technical nouse than me will put you straight but I hope this helps for now.

Edited - just re-read your post. If you do not have internet you could always get someone who has to download the latest Panasonic firmware for your player and put it on a usb stick for you. You could then update it to latest firmware then. You might get lucky and not need to though - sometimes firmware is used to get other things working and updated and not just disc playback.

Another option - take it back to RS, they would do this for you if you were willing to take your 500 back instore to get them to update to latest firmware.

On the positive side the 500 picture quality in HD / Blu Ray is awesome if it is trouble free compaared to your old dvd's as long as you have an HD tv to take advantage of it all.

bugpress

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought one of these units when I purchased my Plasma in January. I have had similar problems from the start. Panasonic was not responsive. After they had held the machine at the Texas service center for a month I asked for a refunded, which was one of the options they had listed on the work order. They just sent the machine back with no explanation. The machine was within warranty. I am an experienced AV enthusiast. When it works, it is just fine. I have gotten used to the interface. But the freezing.. grrrr. I can put the disk in my Denon 5910 and it plays fine. Of course the Denon is not Blu Ray. But to be honest, it seems like a lot of machines do not work well, even Oppo.

humptydumpty

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Glad that I read this thread. I had the DMP-BDT500 on my shortlist because of all the positive reviews, including the one from Whathifi themselves. Brings my shortlist down to the Sony mentioned earlier in this thread and the Marantz UD5007. Many thanks to psurquhart and Print@bugpress.com for posting their experiences!

humptydumpty

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
The last ones are on sale in the Netherlands, and I am am interested in a bluray player with analogue stereo output (see my other post which I am about to make now ;). I don't mean to rule out Panasonic as a whole, but because the last ones are only available in internet stores, I don't want to risk the hassle of having to exchange it.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem with digital audio. When I watch a movie or play a cd I have no sound with the spdif output, only line out. Toslink haven't I tested. Has the spdif output any activation somewhere hidden in the menu?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Is the audio out set to Bitstream or PCM?

If you are connected to and AVR set to Bitstream. If you are only connected to a TV set it to PCM.

How do you have the unit connected up and what to?

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Digiaudio is set to PCM. HDMI audio output is off. BD video Secundair audio is on.

The blu rayplayer is hooked up to my amp, TEAC AI 501DA which can handle up to 24bit/192kHz via coaxial spdif. The cable is an audioquest cinnamon and is working.

I've also connected the player with analog lines to my amp.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello again Reijer, I also have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player (model DMP-BD80, the same range as Bigboss's machine) in my bedroom which is six years old now and has never given any trouble at all. I have it connected to my Yamaha RX-V1067 receiver by HDMI cable AND by either digital optical or digital coaxial cable (I can't quite remember without looking at the back of the machine!) and I'm certain that I get sound through the digital optical or coaxial cable as well as through the HDMI cable. Let me check the machine settings and I'll get back to you tomorrow. Of course, I'm assuming that the settings for my BD80 machine will be similar for your more modern BDT500 machine, but we'll see. Check back on here tomorrow evening.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Reijer said:
Digiaudio is set to PCM. HDMI audio output is off. BD video Secundair audio is on.

The blu rayplayer is hooked up to my amp, TEAC AI 501DA which can handle up to 24bit/192kHz via coaxial spdif. The cable is an audioquest cinnamon and is working.

I've also connected the player with analog lines to my amp.

Hello Reijer, Apart from the Panasonic BD80 Blu-Ray player that I mentioned before, I have another identical machine in the other bedroom. In my more public rooms I have Denon and Oppo Blu-Ray players. I've never, and with no effort on my part in selecting special settings, known any of them NOT to give a digital coaxial or optical sound output. I've just checked the connection on the player in my bedroom, and it does indeed give 5.1 surround sound via the digital coaxial output. However, these are the relevant settings on one of my Panasonic BD80 Blu-Ray players:

First, choose Setup.

From the Sound menu, these three options: (1) Digital Audio Output - three things are listed, and I have them all on Bitstream. BD-Video Secondary Audio set to OFF. (2) PCM Downconversion - off. (3) Downmix - Stereo. (4) High Clarity Sound - Enable.

From the TV / Device Connection menu, choose HDMI connection, then choose HDMI Audio Output to be ON, choose Analogue Audio Output to be 7.1 channel.

Of course, the settings on your BDT500 may well differ from mine, but I'm hoping that, as they are both Panasonics, that there will be enough similarity for my settings to be useful.

Let me know if this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts