Panasonic creating 8K ultra high definition plasma TV

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
It is WRONGLY NAMED. It should be called 16K, not 8K. The new 4K displays that we are being imminently threatened with have four times the resolution of normal full HD. But this particular Panasonic has 16 times the resolution of normal full HD, and so it should be called 16K. Calling it 8K is not logical, Captain.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Great, even bigger tv's.

Everyone will have to buy a house with at least one 5m massive wall without windows so they can fit the biggest tv manufacturers can build.

Paul.

Son_of_SJ said:
It is WRONGLY NAMED. It should be called 16K, not 8K. The new 4K displays that we are being imminently threatened with have four times the resolution of normal full HD. But this particular Panasonic has 16 times the resolution of normal full HD, and so it should be called 16K. Calling it 8K is not logical, Captain.

4k is named as it is 4k pixels wide depending on the aspect ratio. Standard high def in cinema aspect ratio is 2k wide. This TV is called 8k as it is approx 8k pixels wide, makes perfect sence.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Paul. said:
4k is named as it is 4k pixels wide depending on the aspect ratio. Standard high def in cinema aspect ratio is 2k wide. This TV is called 8k as it is approx 8k pixels wide, makes perfect sence.

Hmmph! Well, in that case, standard 1920 x 1080 pictures should be called 2K, but nobody does ..... Still, I bow to your reasoning!

Son_of_SJ said:
Paul. said:

Hmmph! Well, in that case, standard 1920 x 1080 pictures should be called 2K, but nobody does ..... Still, I bow to your reasoning!

Have you seen the full HD gold & black logo? 2K doesn't sound as attractive as Full HD. ;)

It's all about marketing. It was important to market as HD to mark the next level of picture quality.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Actually, they should call it in megapixels ;-) I think they avoided that as even full HD is only 2 megapixels which sounds very unimpressive as today's consumer cameras are in the dozens megapixels range. 4k is 4 times that i.e. abt 8 megapixels and 8k is 4 times 4k, i.e. abt 32 megapixels ;-)

Really it has to be taken in the whole context of viewing - pixel density, screen size, viewing angle/screen distance/field of view. It is the combination of high pixel density (i.e. image resolution/quality) while filling one's entire field of view that creates the enhanced experience.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What will 'feed' these devices? Do we have the necessary broadcast bandwidth on Satellite or terrestrial? There is no talk of another physical disk format so I doubt that will happen. That leaves internet download/streaming. What internet speed is necessary to comfortably handle 8K streaming?

Paul.

chebby said:
What internet speed is necessary to comfortably handle 8K streaming?

All of it. The whole Internet. In theory, if you need 4mbps for 1080p streaming, you would need 64mbps for 8K. But even that would be heavily compressed bitrates, no where near optimum.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So basically they've built this 8K telly but really, no established technology exists to stream data to it fast enough to produce anything but 32 megapixel slideshows. Well that's...useful.!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

As impressive as it looks, I can't help thinking that if you want a picture that big, a projector would be the better choice.

Are 8K projectors a possibility?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Anything is possible. 1TB discs were created in 2010, so there could be a new generation of players. 8K projectors will come. 10 Gbps internet may become the norm. When? No idea!
Exactly. Who would have believed when the first mobile phones came out, the size of a brick and costing thousands of pounds, that within a few years most UK teenagers would have a smart phone? If they don't build the TVs and cameras how will we ever push the other developments required?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
In 2011 I switched from SD and DVD with DTS or DD sound to HD TV and BluRay with 24/96 sound and I am very happy with the quality of sound and picture, although content lags behind a bit (only 4 hd channels on freview, for example). The step up in qualilty was a very enjoyable benefit of progress in tech and media.

I am sure 8k is 5-7 years minimum away but when it comes it will be great!

danwood6

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Saw this at ifa Berlin a little while ago. I must say it was the only thing noteworthy at the deeply unimpressive Panasonic stand. The guy from Panasonic seemed to think the main drawback of 8k was the difficulty in recording. He suggested there was no camera available to make their demo sequence. I believe he said it was shot on a combination of cameras and combined digitally. No idea if this is accurate...

The stand out products (TVs) were however lg and samsungs Oled offerings. Seriously impressive stuff. I just wish everyone would pile their R&D money into this technology, it is the way forward however many k's they fit in!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd prefer it if the same money was piled into curing fatal diseases instead of creating new technologies that we just don't need. And I'm not just picking on super-hi-res TVs that only those with massive houses and massive pockets will get the benefit from, but generally.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
bigboss said:
10 Gbps internet may become the norm. When? No idea!

And i bet i'll still be stuck on under half a meg...bloody bt :wall:

It's not that bad here. I have reliable 20Mbps (cable) and 100Mbps is available.

However, I think that the UK ISPs, as a whole, are still struggling to get to a target of 2Mbps minimum to every home.

I can't see 10Gbps (let alone 20Gbps or higher) becoming a realistic internet speed anywhere in this country in the next 5 years or so. As for smaller towns/cities and rural areas, forget it.

I doubt terrestrial broadcasters are going to get any more bandwidth. (Their analogue frequencies have already been sold to the 4G operators.)

I don't know about Satellite insfrastructure and whether they are geared up for universal 4K and 8K transmissions. If not, then they will need some new satellites and new set-top boxes and I don't know if customers will be prepared to pay what would be necessary to subscribe. (Or how much UHDTV content there will available to show by then.)

I've not heard even a hint or a rumour about any Ultra High Def disk format planned for 4K/8K screens and the industry is probably not bothered anyway given that the future is widely perceived to be in downloads and streaming.

I think this is going to be a slab of technology that will pass us by. (Nothing to play or broadcast and slow internet.) That's not to say it won't take off. I am sure Japan and South Korea and Singapore and China (at least Chinese cities) will benefit from it. Maybe even the USA. But not us. At least not for a long time yet.

daveh75

chebby said:
I doubt terrestrial broadcasters are going to get any more bandwidth. (Their analogue frequencies have already been sold to the 4G operators.)

Not a chance, DTT is a bandwidth deprived joke that was nothing more than a cash cow for the government.

The House of Lords have recommended that DTT is scrapped altogether (in their Broadband For All Report, published back in july) in favour of being IP delivered so the spectrum can be sold to mobile operators.

I don't know about Satellite insfrastructure and whether they are geared up for universal 4K and 8K transmissions. If not, then they will need some new satellites and new set-top boxes and I don't know if customers will be prepared to pay what would be necessary to subscribe. (Or how much UHDTV content there will available to show by then.)

They are for 4K

Astra SES are expected to start showcasing the tech next year, with the first commercial channels expected sometime in 2014.

A number of european broadcasters are already commited to 4K, and Sky DE began test recording in 4K on saturday (Bayern Munich V Borussia Dortmund match)

Worth noting that not all techs make it into the consumer market. There are 2 other purposes of displaying such techs:

1) Enhance brand value by "showing off" their latest tech.

2) Learning experience for the manufacturer who can then use some of the tech in mainstream models.

3) Sometimes, such technology spurs accelerated development of infrastructure to support it. Iphone caused some, for example, & now 4G phones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts