Panasonic Blu-ray

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Is it worth updating my Arcam DVD to a Panasonic Blu-ray?

Whilst I'm more than happy with the Arcam it would be useful if I could record TV programmes, which I gather I could do with the inbuilt Viera Link.

To be honest I don't know whether it's worth shelling out on this or not. Is there a decent cheapo Panny that will do this?

I watch very few movies, most of the Arcam's use is on Peppa Pig and Thomas Tank.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Are you talking about the Panasonic Bluray recorder? If so, personally it's still at ludicrous early adopter price levels and if you're only recording SD, I would stick with a DVD Recorder or PVR. I used to use a DVD Recorder but never bothered to record to disc, I just used the built-in hard drive and I have continued this with Sky+HD. I would definitely recommend a bluray player though, even the highest end DVD player cannot touch a budget bluray player for quality. I know some people don't think the jump from SD to HD is that much and certainly not as big as VHS to DVD but I would recommend they go to Specsavers.....
emotion-5.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:Are you talking about the Panasonic Bluray recorder? If so, personally it's still at ludicrous early adopter price levels and if you're only recording SD, I would stick with a DVD Recorder or PVR. I used to use a DVD Recorder but never bothered to record to disc, I just used the built-in hard drive and I have continued this with Sky+HD. I would definitely recommend a bluray player though, even the highest end DVD player cannot touch a budget bluray player for quality. I know some people don't think the jump from SD to HD is that much and certainly not as big as VHS to DVD but I would recommend they go to Specsavers.....
emotion-5.gif

I can't really imagine why I would need a BDP for picture quality as my DV79 is already perfectly good for this, I just want something to record TV programmes like Sky+, but I don't have Sky. My Panny TV has this feature but I need a Viera Link compatible player.

A

Anonymous

Your Arcam DVD player is good, no doubt. Blu-ray picture and sound quality is in another league altogether, however.

So, if you want something cheap, go for the BD-35. Even this budget blu-ray player will be miles better than your Arcam.

You will not be dissapointed.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:
Your Arcam DVD player is good, no doubt. Blu-ray picture and sound quality is in another league altogether, however.

So, if you want something cheap, go for the BD-35. Even this budget blu-ray player will be miles better than your Arcam.

As I said, my Arcam DVD is more than high enough quality for my needs, the only reason I would get one of these is to use the record function off my Panny TV. I have just looked at the specs of the BD-35 and can't work out whether it has a hard disk that I can record onto. Do you have any idea?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:ValianTX:

As I said, my Arcam DVD is more than high enough quality for my needs, the only reason I would get one of these is to use the record function off my Panny TV. I have just looked at the specs of the BD-35 and can't work out whether it has a hard disk that I can record onto. Do you have any idea?

It doesn't. If you want a recordable bluray player, you are looking at £500+, might even be £800. For your needs, really not worth it. You are better off getting a Sony dvd recorder with HDD - they seem to be the best at around the £250-300 range.

I think Panasonic blu-ray recorder will nicely match your system, & will be a good solution to your DVD, blu-ray & recording needs. Yes, it's a bit expensive compared to a standalone blu-ray player & a DVD recorder, but you get the convenience of a one box solution to all your needs. If you wait a couple of months, I'm sure the prices will come down nearer to Christmas. You may get a good deal at the Manchester Sound and Vision show next weekend.

Current best price for a 250GB model is £709 at play.com

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9223336/Panasonic-BS750-250GB-HDD-HD-Blu-ray-Recorder-With-Freesat/Product.html?&engine=froogle_electronics&keyword=Panasonic+BS750+250GB+HDD+HD+Blu-ray+Recorder+With+Freesat&_$ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:9223336%7Ccat:DVD+Recorders

And for the 500GB model, the best price is at directtvs for £749.97:

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Panasonic_DMR-BS850EBK_Blu-ray_freesat_recorder_DMR-BS850EBK/version.asp?refsource=dtfroogle

There's another advantage of the Panasonic recorder. Because the recorder is equipped with two HD digital tuners, two different TV programmes can be recorded simultaneously. There is no need to worry about missing out on recording a programme when two programmes overlap.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:ValianTX:

It doesn't. If you want a recordable bluray player, you are looking at £500+, might even be £800. For your needs, really not worth it. You are better off getting a Sony dvd recorder with HDD - they seem to be the best at around the £250-300 range.

If thats your price range ,you might want to consider one of these , which gives you Viera link also .I got one a couple of months ago and it does the job nicely.(even creates a chapter on the adverts so you can skip them). I gave up on the full Blu Ray jobby thru Panny as Gerrard says because it was so damned expensive and I was also uncertain about freesat staying the course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts