Panasonic BD80 - any players better? If, how much?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I've been looking at the BD80 blu-ray player, and seen that What HiFi has given it 5 stars. I know the stars are given according to the price of the unit, but which player is actually better than the BD80 when it comes to movies (not cd playback)? And why?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We're planning a Blu-ray Supertest that will pit the Panasonic (and its BD60 sibling) against the new Sony and Pioneer players (and others) at this price-point, but it's up there for the money right now.

However, if you've more money to spend, consider the likes of the Denon DVD-2500BT Blu-ray transport, which will deliver superior movie sound and vision (into a receiver that offer HD Audio decoding) - put quite simply, it's engineered to make more of the digital data avaialble on each Blu-ray disc (reading and transferring it more faithfully). It'll play DVDs better, too.

Up from that, better-quality components, engineering and software can yield yet more benefits - which is where you start hitting the £1000+ brigage from Denon, Sony and Pioneer, Marantz etc.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. But when you write scintillating picture, wouldn't most people be satisfied with the BD80. I guess the projector or TV would have to be truly scintillating as well to make the difference between a BD80 and a 2500BT obvious. Or am I wrong?

When you say superior picture for the 2500BT, what are we talking about exactly? And how does the BD80 compare to the Denon 1800BD? Again only for movies.

A

Anonymous

My vote is for the BDP 51FD from Pioneer. Available for just over 300 now it is awesome and very stylish. Sound and picture are a cut above the budget offerings from Sony and Panasonic.

A

Anonymous

I have recently upgraded from a Panasonic BD30 to the Denon DVD-2500BT, I know the BD80 is a little better than the BD30 I had, but the difference in colour detail/depth especially blacks and edge definition is excellent.

Also the sound tracks are much more immersive, effects seem to bounce around the room more clearly and the bass seems to be deeper /more controller.

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

On a price vs performance crietria, the BD80 would keep you very happy and satisfied. I'm very happy with my BD55 (predecessor of the BD80) and have no intentions of replacing it anytime soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts