Panasonic BD30, Onkyo 605, Dolby Digital True HD.

Gazuk

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Recently purchased Panasonic bd30 blu ray player and got two free blu ray dvds inside,Disney,s Cars and Ratatouille.Got the player connected to Onkyo 605 via hdmi and set everything to bitstream.When playing Cars it shows Dolby Digital True hd on the onkyo display but it just flashes without any sound but if i select the next soundtrack which is dd 5.1 it comes through fine! I think ive got everything set up as it should be because ive played spiderman 3 which also has a true hd soundtrack and that is output without any problems. Just wondering if any body else has experienced any problems.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I didn't think the cars disc had true hd audio thought it was just DD 5.1 ? I checked on some dvd ites and they all say DD 5.1 that may be why you have this.

Bc.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Cars has a PCM 5.1 soundtrack which is awesome and is the best one to select as it is uncompressed. I don't see why you wouldn't just choose that given the option.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FuzzyinLondon"]Cars has a PCM 5.1 soundtrack which is awesome and is the best one to select as it is uncompressed. I don't see why you wouldn't just choose that given the option.[/quote]

Assuming, that is, you'd ever want to watch the twee nonsense in the first place...

A

Anonymous

Cars says TrueHD on the box. I'm pretty sure it showed on my 705 as such when I played it on the BD30.

A

Anonymous

I have just connected the same set up as yourself and with the onkyo 605 it doesn't come up on the display that it is true HD it comes up Pcm i was wondering have i set something up wrong

A

Anonymous

[quote user="FuzzyinLondon"]Cars has a PCM 5.1 soundtrack which is awesome and is the best one to select as it is uncompressed. I don't see why you wouldn't just choose that given the option.[/quote]

Hi guys. I have an excellent Arcam AVR300 multichannel amp (without HDMI passthrough, only component) and a 5.1 speaker set-up. It is unlikely in the foreseeable future that I will upgrade to 7.1 because of space constraints and I don't want to change the amp. I am considering purchasing the BD30 Blu-Ray player and sending the HDMI cable direct to the plasma TV. For audio I have the option of sending a digital coax to the amp for processing or 6 channel (5.1) analogue output to the Arcam Amp. I believe the analogue option is best because as FuzzyinLondon points out whilst not 'HD Audio' the data would be uncompressed. Would the coax option be uncompressed too? What would be the highest quality sound achieved through either method? DTS possibly?

Gazuk

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Bd30 audio menu i believe everything should be set to bitstream and secondary audio set to off! Thats how i have mine set and the onkyo has extracted true hd from several discs but for some reason not cars! Not that its a great loss as i got the disc free!

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
Just set mine up, exactly the same problem. Everything I have read suggested cars didnt have a dolby hd soundtrack. the amp flashes dolby hd but nothing comes out. Set it to do dolby and no problem. I have i am legend and 30 days of night which both have hd sound tracks arriving tomorrow so am hoping I dont get the same problem!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="MAVVY"]

ÿ

Hi guys.ÿ I have an excellent Arcam AVR300 multichannel amp (without HDMI passthrough, only component) and a 5.1 speaker set-up.ÿ It is unlikely in the foreseeable future that I will upgrade to 7.1 because of space constraints and I don't want to change the amp.ÿ I am considering purchasing the BD30 Blu-Ray player and sending the HDMI cable direct to the plasma TV.ÿ For audio I have the option of sending a digital coax to the amp for processing or 6 channel (5.1) analogue output to the Arcam Amp.ÿ I believe the analogue option is best because as FuzzyinLondon points out whilst not 'HD Audio' the data would be uncompressed.ÿ Would the coax option be uncompressed too?ÿ What would be the highest quality sound achieved throughÿeither method?ÿ DTS possibly?
[/quote]
Coaxial digital is incapable of handling the data requirements of high bitrate audio, such as Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD or multichannel PCM (it'll cope with stereo PCM no problem). For that reason, the optimum multichannel audio you'll get from coax will be so-called 'full-bitrate' DTS, running at 1536kbps. That's present on some DVDs, and will also be available from the SP/DIF output of the Panasonic BD player when used with appropriate Blu-ray software.
So, if you want to access less-compressed or uncompressed audio codecs, your best option is to decode them onboard the Panasonic and output them as multichannel analogue audio.

A

Anonymous

With respect: my disc of Cars has Dolby TrueHD, but not PCM. Ratatouille has PCM, for sure, but not Cars. At least not in my house.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Assuming, that is, you'd ever want to watch the twee nonsense in the first place...ÿ
[/quote]
Tell that to my sons.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="michael.seigal"]
Just set mine up, exactly the same problem. Everything I have read suggested cars didnt have a dolby hd soundtrack. the amp flashes dolby hd but nothing comes out. Set it to do dolby and no problem. I have i am legend and 30 days of night which both have hd sound tracks arriving tomorrow so am hoping I dont get the same problem!
[/quote]

Played Cars today, TrueHD lit up on my 705 no problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts