• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

At Panasonic shop

http://www.panasonicstore-leicester.co.uk/product/tx-p50gt50b/

D

Deleted member 2457

Can't work out why the 50GT50 is cheaper than the 50ST50? :?

D

Deleted member 2457

laserman16 said:
Perhaps Panasonic are dumping GT50s onto the market.

Seems a strange thing to do. They are clearly selling a lot though.

D

Deleted member 2457

laserman16 said:
Well, if they have over produced on them they may need to get rid of excess stock.

John Lewis definitely seem to have an endless supply at present.
smiley-smile.gif

FLASHTOKYO

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't buy a Panasonic TV, I have the GT50 and a fault developed within the first year. They refused to do anything about it, customer service is appalling!!

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
Does the GT50 suffer with the 50Hz bug like previous models?

I didn't see any sign of it on Sky, it was perfect.

D

Deleted member 2457

FLASHTOKYO said:
Don't buy a Panasonic TV, I have the GT50 and a fault developed within the first year. They refused to do anything about it, customer service is appalling!!

We worked this one out a couple of years back, that is why most of us buy from John Lewis now.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
buzz_lightclick said:

Yes. So do this year's Panasonics, to an arguably lesser degree.

Surely it is just a downside of plasma technology now though? My Pioneer 5090 suffered bad on analogue watching football on something like ITV2 or 4. It was just as bad as my Panasonic 50V20.

The new Samsung plasma TVs will no doubt suffer to some degree too all plasma do. The better the source you feed it will take away the problems.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The 50Hz bug is Panasonic specific, or at least it has been since the 20 series. (Not that I'm criticising your new TV.)

Plasma TVs from all manufacturers suffer from certain motion issues, such as dynamic false contouring, but Samsing plasmas don't suffer from 50Hz motion problems in the same way as Panasonic plasmas. Samsung plasmas have their own motion hiccups, however, such as the F8500's tendency to stutter briefly after cut scenes.

60Hz and 24p content are both fine on Panasonic plasmas, though of course much of our viewing in the UK comprises 50Hz content, assuming we watch TV rather than Blu-rays exclusively.

It's a shame, but there you go. 50Hz motion looked smoother on my G10 than on any Panasonic plasma I've owned since. Unfortunately the G10 suffered from the rising black problem and had no advanced calibration controls.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
The 50Hz bug is Panasonic specific, or at least it has been since the 20 series. (Not that I'm criticising your new TV.)

Plasma TVs from all manufacturers suffer from certain motion issues, such as dynamic false contouring, but Samsing plasmas don't suffer from 50Hz motion problems in the same way as Panasonic plasmas. Samsung plasmas have their own motion hiccups, however, such as the F8500's tendency to stutter briefly after cut scenes.

60Hz and 24p content are both fine on Panasonic plasmas, though of course much of our viewing in the UK comprises 50Hz content, assuming we watch TV rather than Blu-rays exclusively.

It's a shame, but there you go. 50Hz motion looked smoother on my G10 than on any Panasonic plasma I've owned since. Unfortunately the G10 suffered from the rising black problem and had no advanced calibration controls.

I don't tend to agree with you here and neither does Steve Withers reading his comments on AV. If you ask him now about the problems that exist on Panasonic TVs about the 50hz problem he will tell you it is there of sorts but it is now just a downside of plasma technology not a specific problem in itself. He spoke about this quite a bit when reviewing this years range in his after comments. Pioneer's do exactly the same as the VT65 on an analogue source, so I am not sure how you can keep calling it a Panasonic problem?

D

Deleted member 2457

I have seen the new Samsung plasmas on analogue too because our John Lewis only demos that TV on it, and it does not look good with motion, but like I said this is just a downside of plasma technology, which Steve Withers refers to a lot.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
strapped for cash said:
buzz_lightclick said:

Yes. So do this year's Panasonics, to an arguably lesser degree.

Surely it is just a downside of plasma technology now though? My Pioneer 5090 suffered bad on analogue watching football on something like ITV2 or 4. It was just as bad as my Panasonic 50V20.

The new Samsung plasma TVs will no doubt suffer to some degree too all plasma do. The better the source you feed it will take away the problems.

When I referred to analogue I meant and mean Freeview.
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I don't tend to agree with you here and neither does Steve Withers reading his comments on AV. If you ask him now about the problems that exist on Panasonic TVs about the 50hz problem he will tell you it is there of sorts but it is now just a downside of plasma technology not a specific problem in itself. He spoke about this quite a bit when reviewing this years range in his after comments. Pioneer's do exactly the same as the VT65 on an analogue source, so I am not sure how you can keep calling it a Panasonic problem?

Hi Gel,

I think Steve and other AV reviewers observe that there are certainly plasma related motion issues, such as dithering and dynamic false contouring, but every thread on AV about the 50Hz bug is exclusively about Panasonic televisions. Panasonic plasma TVs didn't exhibit this problem before the 20 series, either. (Having owned four generations of Panasonic plasma TV I can state this from experience.)

I'm not trying to be confrontational and I'm happy to be proved wrong. Can you link to thread, article, or review where Steve discusses the 50Hz bug as a plasma related issue rather than a Panasonic issue specifically.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

Hi Gel,

I think Steve and other AV reviewers observe that there are certainly plasma related motion issues, such as dithering and dynamic false contouring, but every thread on AV about the 50Hz bug is exclusively about Panasonic televisions. Panasonic plasma TVs didn't exhibit this problem before the 20 series, either. (Having owned four generations of Panasonic plasma TV I can state this from experience.)

I'm not trying to be confrontational and I'm happy to be proved wrong. Can you link to thread, article, or review where Steve discusses the 50Hz bug as a plasma related issue rather than a Panasonic issue specifically.

Hi mate

I am pretty sure it is all on here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1762043-panasonic-tx-p50gt60b-3d-plasma-television-review.html

He says the 50hz problem is gone, and I am pretty sure he then goes on to explain about plasmas in general and the way they behave.

D

Deleted member 2457

More about the 50hz problem here and how it has gone:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-P65VT65B-3D-Plasma-TV-Review_507/Review.html

D

Deleted member 2457

He talks about it not being an issue on the GT50 here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1614759-panasonic-gt50-tx-p50gt50b-50-inch-full-hd-3d-plasma-tv-review-3.html

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Steve advises that "the 50Hz bug has gone," but having spent considerably more time watching a 2013 Panasonic plasma than Steve had when writing the review and posting soon after, I'd say the 50Hz bug is less of an issue but certainly not eliminated.

Mark Hodgkinson also advised that Panasonic "nailed 50Hz motion" in his 50VT65 review. Again, I'd disagree.

My understanding is that the 50Hz bug is Panasonic specific, unlike dynamic false contouring, which is inherent to plasma technology, though still better masked on Samsung than Panasonic plasma TVs.

D

Deleted member 2457

At the moment I can't find the exact bits about plasma technology but from my experience is true and I am pretty sure that is what he said too, when talking on the many threads on AV. But recall it was Steve Withers who I think said it. :)

A Pioneer 5090 would behave in the exact way as a Panasonic 50V20 when I watched it on Freeview football on a bad source. He says it has now gone on the VT65 and GT60, said it wasn't a problem on GT50.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Steve advises that "the 50Hz bug has gone," but having spent considerably more time watching a 2013 Panasonic plasma than Steve had when writing the review and posting soon after, I'd say the 50Hz bug is less of an issue but certainly not eliminated.

Mark Hodgkinson also advised that Panasonic "nailed 50Hz motion" in his 50VT65 review. Again, I'd disagree.

My understanding is that the 50Hz bug is Panasonic specific, unlike dynamic false contouring, which is inherent to plasma technology, though still better masked on Samsung than Panasonic plasma TVs.

That is cool mate, if you have seen it you have seen it. I believe you.
smiley-smile.gif
Yep, and I agree you are in a stronger position to tell. I would say if you put itnext to a big older generation or a newer plasma it would behave in the same way though. I think a LCD would solve the problem completely.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
A Pioneer 5090 would behave in the exact way as a Panasonic 50V20 when I watched it on Freeview football on a bad source.

If you're talking about a form of double imaging, such as the half way line breaking up during past pans, that's dynamic false contouring and is indeed visible on all plasma TVs to a greater or lesser degree.

The 50Hz bug manifests as a form of judder.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts