Pana DMP BD35 & Sony DAVIS-10 - HD audio question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm new to this and still learning about HD audio. I understand my blu-ray player will decode HD audio internally and I should output it as LPCM via a HDMI lead. My Blu ray player has a HDMI lead connected to my TV and my Sony DAVIS-10 is also connected to my tv via HDMI. Both the blu ray player and Sony system only have 1 HDMI input so can I still get HD audio and if so how?

Appreciate your expert advice

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, the Sony DAV-IS10 HDMI connection is purely an output to connect the built in DVD player to a TV, there's no way of getting HD audio from the BD35 into it. You can hook the Blu-Ray player up via the optical output but because this doesn't have the bandwidth capacity to carry the HD formats, you're limited to the core Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks.
To make you feel a bit better though, those core soundtracks from Blu-Ray discs with the HD audio formats on them will be slightly better than the DVD equivalent sound, even over the optical connection as the bitrates are slightly higher than their DVD counterparts.

A

Anonymous

Thanks professorhat

Your expert advice is very much appreciated. I only purchased the DAVIS-10 due to peer pressure from the other half due to the size of the speakers. As a newbie at the time, I didnt really appreciate HD audio and its only since joining this forum, I've come to realise my mistake!

So I take it I need a new AV system which the budget can stretch to, but I will need to keep these tiny speakers to keep the peace at home - £800 budget tops - any suggestions?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Your issue there is, I'm pretty sure the DAV-IS10 speakers have propriety connections so to use them with another system would mean cutting these off to reveal the bare wire. Then you have issues that they were built to run with that amplifier and you'd need to check the specs of the speakers to ensure you don't get an amp which will potentially destroy them (or if you do, you're at least aware it might and go easy on them!). I seem to remember it was an issue when someone asked before but I don't know how it turned out.
The other option is to look at a different all in one system which can accept LPCM through it's HDMI socket, like the Sony HT-IS100, or find a suitable amp (like perhaps the Sony STR-DG820) and partner it with a speaker set with equally small speakers, like the Mission M-Cube or perhaps the Q Acoustics Q-AV package (NB - there are plenty of style speaker packages around at that price so have a browse and see if any others would work). You might be able to get one of these two in your budget of £800 if you shop around, but I have no idea how they would sound together though, so an audition before purchase would definitely be recommended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts