Pana BD55 or Sony BDP S550

bodidly

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Help please, keep reading all the reviews about the 2 players being better than there earlier model, but how do they compare against each other what would the experts or readers buy.

Thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
bodidly:
Help please, keep reading all the reviews about the 2 players being better than there earlier model, but how do they compare against each other what would the experts or readers buy.

Thanks.

This has been done already. The award winner was the Pana. I have the Sony and it's great but apparently the Pana has the edge.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure those lovely bods at WHF will tell you the Pana is better. However, the Sony also gets 5 stars and glowing reviews and I wonder whether us mortals would notice the difference.

I have just ordered the Sony 550 and will hopefully have it today. I favoured the Pana as a) I have a Pana Plasma and b) it's thinner, but I went for the Sony as it looks MUCH better value. The Sony is listed at £350 and I've bought it for £221 and I think others have found it cheaper still. The Pana is listed at £400 and £380 is the lowest I've seen it - with some places asking £450.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
roger06:
I'm sure those lovely bods at WHF will tell you the Pana is better. However, the Sony also gets 5 stars and glowing reviews and I wonder whether us mortals would notice the difference.

I have just ordered the Sony 550 and will hopefully have it today. I favoured the Pana as a) I have a Pana Plasma and b) it's thinner, but I went for the Sony as it looks MUCH better value. The Sony is listed at £350 and I've bought it for £221 and I think others have found it cheaper still. The Pana is listed at £400 and £380 is the lowest I've seen it - with some places asking £450.

It's a no brainer at those prices - you will love it. I watched the final episode of Band of Brothers last night on bluray. What a brilliant series and it looks amazing and sounds terrifying on bluray.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:

It's a no brainer at those prices - you will love it. I watched the final episode of Band of Brothers last night on bluray. What a brilliant series and it looks amazing and sounds terrifying on bluray.

I hope so! According to the City Link online tracking it's been delivered (to a neighbour!) - but the 3 free discs that came with it are coming separately so I hope they've arrived as well so can set it up and have a play tonight!
emotion-42.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:roger06:

I've been a bit busy, so stopped after the 'Bastogne' episode. But now I've got a 12 day holiday, I'll finish it off in no time! Probably the 4th or 5th time I've watched the series, but the first time on Blu-Ray! I'd say that for £35, it's one hell of a purchase.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well the BDPS 550 was waiting for me when I got home so duly plugged it in.

It's good but I wouldn't say (so far) Blu Ray lives up to the hype. It sounds miles better but as for picture quality ? well, if I didn't know I was watching a Blu Ray I wouldn't twig it was something other than a quality DVD.

Mama Mia came with it and the wife has it on DVD as well so compared the two. The sound is far fuller, richer and more punchy but if one could measure PQ in percentage terms I'd say about 10% better on BD - it's brighter and that's about it...

The BD player is connected to the TV via component so would HDMI really improve things ? - I'd need a 5m length thus need to brace myself for the cost...

What IS really noticable is how much better standard DVDs are on the BD player as opposed to my 8 year old Pioneer - I guess it's doing some 'upscaling' or something ??
emotion-3.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts