Owners of the NAD D3020

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I just read this in a review of the D3020 ;

"Occasionally, when sending digital signals from the NAD C 316BEE CD player to the D 3020's coaxial input, I heard a glitchy mechanical noise—sort of like the sound a CD transport makes when a disc skips. Fortunately, this happened only between tracks, never during music"

Any owners of the D3020 experienced this (little) problem ? I know I'm a nitpicker but I'm in the process of buying this amp so I would like to know
smiley-wink.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Some dacs 'switch off' when there is no signal present, restoring the signal turns the dac back on which can cause an audible noise as you describe.

Never heard of a CD player that switches off between tracks but if it happens everytime it might be worth investigating.

Try using the analogue inputs to see if it is the disc or the transport.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I don't own the D3020 but I like to buy it in the future. I'm planning on using the coaxial input of the D3020 and I want it to work properly :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've got my brothers hooked up here with me currently until he wants it back on Sunday and havent noticed any noises from it all bar the music...

Got it plugged into my Mac Mini and bought some B&W 601 S2's to go with a T amp in the dining room and its a cracking amp indeed :)

Drove my KEF R100's without any issues whatsoever and very tempted to get one and sell my Cyrus 8XP and Firestone DAC on!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
I've got my brothers hooked up here with me currently until he wants it back on Sunday and havent noticed any noises from it all bar the music...

If you can test the coaxial input for me.............that would be awesome :cheer:

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Did that beforew with my Arcam Alpha 8SE CDP and an old Awia DVD player and no issues at all...

It's a stunning amp and REALLY growing on me!!!

Dammit :rofl:

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
ANOther said:
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/network-storage/synology-213j-clicks-and-pops

Related problem?

My clicks and pops are only through the USB input. No issues at all with any other input. I really love this amp!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
"We like the resistant feel of the volume control, though the touch-sensitive controls on the top panel – power switch and source selector – can work a little erratically. At times they are overly sensitive, switching the amp off or changing source too easily when all we want to do is hold the amplifier to check a connection.

Other times we found ourselves stabbing at the power button getting frustrated that it just wouldn’t switch on. That said, over time we got used to it."

This is a quote from the what hifi review. Is it really that bad with the controls ?

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't experienced any issues with the controls on the unit itself. However, I typically use the the remote which is sparse, but very well laid out. The only issue I have is that the volume control is not very sensitive, but I can overlook that.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your answer :)

Do you have to choose the input every time you turn on the amp or does it remember the last input you used ?

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
It stays on the last input used. The other thing that some might find annoying is when you first start it up, it flashes for about 10 seconds or so and then locks onto the input setting. In other words, you don't just turn it on and play music. There's a short delay while it "warms" up. Again, more of a nuisance than anything else and it doesn't really bother me.

*small edit for clarity

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I have really enjoyed it so far....amazing what such a small box can produce. I also appreciate the connectivity--I've got very input connected to something!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts