Out of my depth...

ajt71

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
OK. Simply put, I know what I want but don't know how to get it!

I love rich, deep sound with a good range of highs and lows. I play most of my music direct from Spotify (I realise I lost a good number of you at that point) and love wireless connectivity too because I'm basically lazy and can't be bothered to get up to change a disc or anything (probably lost a few more of you then too).

I am thinking of getting the new NAD D3020 along with some Q Acoustics 2050i floorstander speakers.

However, I am far from a pro audio guy so would value a bit of advice on this setup. From what I can read both products are pretty spectacular but I might be missing something or they might be rubbish together. So, please help me out with either telling me what a fantastic job I did putting those two products together or point me in the right direction (similar budget).

Thanks!

P.S. Note to Spotify and wireless haters... go easy on me!

matthewpiano

Should be a good combination but, especially with such a large pair of speakers as the 2050i, you do need to consider your room - size, furnishings etc. will all affect the sound.

What sort of sound are you seeking and what sort of music do you enjoy? How large is your room and how far from the wall will you be able to position the speakers? How far from your listening position will the speakers be? How far apart can you position the speakers? Is the floor carpeted or wood/laminate? Curtains or blinds?

All these details are important and will have an impact. Give us a little more information and we should be able to help you more. BTW. nothing wrong with Spotify if you have it set to the better quality option on Premium, and if it is how you enjoy your music then who cares what anyone thinks?

ajt71

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for the comments and questions. Actually, I'm currently living in the USA but am moving back to the UK soon and am filling my shopping trolley in preparation for coming home!

That said, the speakers will be in the lounge but it will be a standard size really - probably about 17ft by about 14ft. I did wonder if the Q Acoustics would be a bit OTT. We'd have curtains and wood floor but with a rug. The speakers would probably be about 10 ft apart but not sure they could be too far from the wall - maybe one foot? As far as music goes it is wide and varied. One minute I'll be listening to Supertramp, the next Dave Matthews Band, the next Andy McKee. I really do like a rich sound with good, floor shaking lows (when turned up) but still the sensitivity of good mids and highs.

Thanks for the input!

P.S. Agree about Spotify - amazing on Premium! Interested to know whether you think there is a major drop in quality by streaming it wirelessly to something like the NAD rather than being plugged into it.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Is it really worth it ? the exchange rate is about $1.54 to the pound , the amp costs 400 quid here , 500 bucks there plus taxes . Then you'd need to buy a step down transformer once you got it here , plus maybe a travel plug .

I'm thinking the £60 you's save would get used on those , then there is warrenty issues . Maybe if you got it from amazon.com amazon.co.uk would honour it , don't know the price diff on the speakers . I guess you have a container so shipping here wouldn't be an issue .

James

ajt71

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks James. The plan at the moment is to get the NAD in the states because the amazon price of $500 includes taxes and shipping and the NAD has dual voltage (115-240v). Plus it's nice and small so bringing home won't be a big deal. Definitely won't bother with the speakers until back in the UK.

ajt71

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
So, any thoughts on the combo of the NAD and the Q Acoustics floorstanders. I can see that it might be a bit much for a medium sized lounge. I currently have a pair of Cambridge Audio S-30's for bookshelf speakers. How do you think they would do with the NAD? Just concerned they won't have enough bass.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Spotify should be fine however wifi will depends on your internet and hub network set up, some people have experienced problems.

As for buying an amp. I would wait until you get to the UK, it may cost more but you won't have transport and warranty problems. I would get some demos, not sure the NAD is the best option.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the NAD is going to deliver the poise and control of the speakers you are looking at, simply not powerful enough, particularly when you start to increase the volume.

A pair of Mackie HR624s with an Airport Express might suit better, depending on what you use for streaming, ie Android or iOS device. Plenty of power and more importantly able to deliver the sort of bass you are looking for. The bigger HR824s are obviously more of the same.

Obviously these are pro audio gear as opposed to hifi, but at your budget unless you are prepared to look at second hand equipment, I think they're as close as you are going to get tfor the money to meet your expectations.

I doubt they will disappoint.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts