Other speakers to short list against Tannoy Revolution DC6?

MrBrickFish

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The Mission 773s floorstanders which make up the front left and right channels of our lounge Mission 5.1 system are dead. I've short listed the Tannoy DC6s because there is a matching centre speaker and I will probably change this at the same time. They will be fed by an the existing Onkyo TX-SR607 AV amp. I will probably leave the existing Mission rear channel speakers and Rel sub-woofer. In recent years the focus has moved away from 5.1 for movies back to the sound quality for music now that the kids have grown up.

Music is a flac collection fed via Sonos to the digital coaxial input of the amp. I'd previously consideried the Q acoustics concept 20s as a starting point but these have been dismissed due to a lack of matching centre speaker.

I do not have a particular budget in mind. “several hundred pounds”. Overall value/return for money is more important than absolute cost. Flexibility, is also important since I can see futher focus on the SQ of music in the coming years.

I tend to listen to a wide range of music but Bowie and U2 feature highly.

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Sean

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Sean, on the basis that you can see further focus on the SQ of music in the coming years - I would try to demo some speakers concentrating on the music SQ. But, the problem I see is your Onkyo amp. Can you demo the DC6's and one or two others in the same price range, using both your Onkyo amp and a £350-£500 2 channel amp? See what the difference is and what your prefer. You may decide to purchase a set of speakers that sound good with the Onkyo (and therefore get the matching centre for cinema duties) but you know will sound even better with a 2 channel amp that you can buy at a later stage(although you would have to switch between amps), or try out a AV amp in the £800-£1000+ range (with one that has pre-outs). In terms of flexibility, also consider if your chosen new speakers eg the DC6's can be used as rears in the future (can you accommodate them?) to be replaced with floorstanders from the same range. This will give you a upgrade plan that should also allow you to improve SQ again, and use your latest acquisitions rather than have to sell them. Demo is best, especially at home, so see if you can arrange something at your nearest dealer.

T

the record spot

Onkyo and Tannoy work well together. Make sure you try them bi-amped if you can. Bowie, U2 and plenty more sound great on mine! :)

MrBrickFish

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Jonathan & The Record Spot,

Many thanks for your swift replies... some good forward looking ideas and advice and also some confirmation that I'm barking up the right tree before auditioning stuff.

Jonathan, I had a fair bit of fun around last Easter putting together a bi-amped power amp set up for the bedroom using 2nd hand kit from ebay. A lot of nice sound for very little money. I can see me doing more of this and was one of the reasons for the "flexibility" comment... I'm decorating the box room/office over half term and once finished that will require a small system as well. Ultimately, I think the playback of music in the lounge will fall to a dedicated 2 channel amp.

Thanks again

Sean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts