Optical vs Coaxial digital interconnects.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently using my laptop to play FLAC lossless music files and internet radio from an external USB soundcard directly into my Supernait amp via a 5m optical interconnect cable with excellent results, however the soundcard also gives me the option of a coaxial digital out and I was wondering what is considered the most Hi Fi of the two, anyone care to offer an opinion........

A

Anonymous

Very similar to my music set up except I use a Benchmark DAC instead of your Supernait's onboard. Coaxial is supposed to provide marginally better sound than optical, however you'll struggle to find a brand cable longer than 1-2m.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, the optical it is then, also saving me some dosh in a pointless experiment........

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:i think the two will give virtually identical results as the difference between the two should be absolutely minimal

Despite the two changes of state - electrical to optical and optical back to electrical - involved?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
matengawhat:i think the two will give virtually identical results as the difference between the two should be absolutely minimal

Despite the two changes of state - electrical to optical and optical back to electrical - involved?

But 5m is starting to be fairly long for a coaxial lead, could be fairly expensive, and probably not give any audible improvement.

If he were starting from scratch, maybe the coax route would be potentially preferable, but then maybe not. The conversion to optical and back really ought not to make any difference, esp on a high quality amp such as a supernait.

I guess if a lead can be 'borrowed' it would do no harm in testing the 2 though.

A

Anonymous

Basically if you need to keep it at 5m I would definitely stick with optical. If you are willing to go down to 1m, personally I'd give coaxial a try.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Well I have just conducted an A/B blindfold comparison test A was with FLAC files the optical cable, and B was with my Naim CD5 using the same track ( Barbers violin concerto ) started at exactly the same time and found it impossible to tell the difference, so for me the optical cable will suit just fine.

Thanks for all your help and comments guys...............

A

Anonymous

Really interesting result, although I'm sure many will have trouble swallowing it!

A

Anonymous

Excuse me pal, I'm not a liar, I'm just reporting to what I and others heard.

I think many people worry too much about what the marketing boys come up with instead of trusting what they hear.........

A

Anonymous

Wasn't calling anyone a liar my friend!

I was merely saying that some people are hell bent on the fact that the CD on a good CD player will always be of a higher quality than FLAC through a good DAC. I'm a FLAC man myself!

A

Anonymous

Octopo:

I was merely saying that some people are hell bent on the fact that the CD on a good CD player will always be of a higher quality than FLAC through a good DAC. I'm a FLAC man myself!

Sorry Octodo , I misinterpreted your post , thinking about it there is not much reason for there being much difference given that the FLAC files were ripped into lossless EAC from the self same CD, and both CD player DAC and amp DAC are manufactured by the same company.......

A

Anonymous

Next time you are in the HiFi store you need to get an ear upgrade so you can hear the differences.
emotion-5.gif
(joke)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:

Through the same DAC (given equal quality digital out), the FLAC will be 'at least' as good as the BEST money no object CD transport, as it is a lossless (I assume bit perfect) rip of the CD track. A Hard disk is a much better medium for reading accurate data than an optical disc.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

As far as the medium -

That shouldn't matter. The original and intermediate states aren't as important as the pattern read and returned.

Processing electrical signal of highs and lows is read to 1s an 0's and likewise optical. Both should return an identical patterns.

This pattern is eventually converted to audio.

Over long distances (miles) fibre would be the way to go. In a room pointless debate.

I'd be inclined towards copper but would happily live with optical.

A

Anonymous

welshboy:Next time you are in the HiFi store you need to get an ear upgrade so you can hear the differences.
emotion-5.gif
(joke)

Why do you bother to post if you can't contribute anything constructive, ( joke splitting my sides here )
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

The conversion from electric to optical and then back can introduce jitter into the signal (Hi-Fi purist nightmare). Admittedly it takes a higher quality system to notice these kind of differences but it does happen. This is why at the extreme end of the market so much goes into clocking signals through the system or making use of a connection which will not introduce jitter (e.g. TAGTronic, Denon DigitalLink, Firewire etc).

TRENDING THREADS