Optical and Sky +/HD

cball313

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

I wonder if anybody could confirm something for me.....

Currently I have my optical cable running from my sky HD box into my receiver and then a HDMI from the receiver to the TV, and all is working fine.

When I went to friends recently he had a similar setup with the optical cable running from the Sky HD into his all in one surround sound receiver. When watching the TV the sound was out slightly with the picture (very slightly looked like people were miming); and when I said it sounds like you have it set up correctly one of my friends said it was wrong as there is a delay in the Sky box so you should run the optical cable from the HD box to the TV optical in and then another optical cable from the Optical out on the TV into the receiver, this will then fix the delay?

Can anyone confirm this is correct as I have not heard of this before.

Thanks

Chris.

A

Anonymous

I have no idea about the delay, but the tv will only process stereo signals, therefore no DD/DTS 5.1.

In any case, you should be able to set a delay (in milliseconds) on either your Sky box, or receiver to overcome lip-sync issues.

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I have sky +HD sound sent to my receiver via optical cable and pictures straight from sky box to TV via HDMI ( as the sky box can't send digital sound source over HDMI), I have noticed a lipsync issue, but only on certain channels ( BBC2 and some music).

Don't know how to fix, unless SKy can sort out sending both HD picture sand DD sound via the HDMI.

A

Anonymous

No idea about your receiver unless you own a Yammy, however for Sky HD press 'Services' > 'Settings' > 'Sound Settings' and there is a box for 'Optical Delay' in ms.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, and between that and the receiver's lipsynch adjustment you should be able to get it pretty much spot-on, even though it's not unknown for certain programmes to be wildly out of synch.

The optical connection from TV is best used only for delivering sound from the set's onboard Freeview/Freesat tuner - where fitted - into an AV receiver, for the reason already posted (ie stereo only, no 5.1).

In other words, it's an 'and' rather than an 'instead of', and should only be required if you want to watch the TV through the system without the Sky box being on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts