Oppo 980H

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm intereted in purchasing the Oppo 980H in order to play SACD's. Quite alot of the classical CD's that Iv'e purchased recently are in SACD format. Unfortunately my Densen CD420 is not able to take advantage of this. has anyone heard the above player? I wish to use it only fpr two-channel stereo. Do you think that the Oppo playing SACD's will sound better than the Densen playing in only CD format?

T

the record spot

Depends on a few things; the quality of the mastering not least. A well recorded and mastered standard CD will generally be a better listening experience than a poorly recorded and likewise poorly mastered SACD IMO. You just hear a bad recording in higher resolution ultimately!

To answer your query, on the face of it, I'd expect - all things being equal - that the Oppo would acquit itself very well, but the Densen to be the better player.

A

Anonymous

cse:I'm intereted in purchasing the Oppo 980H in order to play SACD's. Quite alot of the classical CD's that Iv'e purchased recently are in SACD format. Unfortunately my Densen CD420 is not able to take advantage of this. has anyone heard the above player? I wish to use it only fpr two-channel stereo. Do you think that the Oppo playing SACD's will sound better than the Densen playing in only CD format?

Sorry to hijack your thread cse, but how do you find the Densen 420? Have you had it long and done much listening?

Cheers.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I've had it for 8 months. I find it detailed with a good soundstage. The only critisism of it is that I sometimes find it a little bright. This could be more to do with my other components though, Roksan caspian amp, BW CDM1SE speakers. I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers next. The Densen replaced a Micromeger Stage4, which although excellent lacked the detail of the Densen but was perhaps slightly warmer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts