Oppo 103 vs Oppo 105 for CD playback via digital audio out

Hi all,

I know the Oppo 105 is superior to the 103 when it comes to the analogue pre-outs because of the better DAC and all the associated circuitry.

But has anyone heard any significant differences between the two when comparing the digital audio outputs (i.e. by-passing the D/A process), either via optical out or coax out?

Cheers :)

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Miles,

i would suggest not, and it certainly is not worth paying the extra unless you are going to use it. Why do you ask?

As a 105 owner, I must say the beauty is in the other things it can do. I use mine as a pre-amp/processor.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
This is the difference between the 2 players according to the manufacturer:

https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=37

bigboss said:

Hi all, thanks for the responses. In reading this it says the audio performance between the two via HDMI out are identical.

So it's probably safe to assume performance between the two via the digital optical and coax outputs is also identical.

Yep I know all about the additional bells and whistles of the 105. Amazingly multi skilled. I have a Peachtree 220se and I'm feeding my Apple TV audio directly into the amp, with picture going to the TV via HDMI.

My Oppo 103 audio feeds directly into the amp via coax, with the picture going straight into the TV via HDMI.

I've recently downgraded drastically from a 5.2 setup of a Pioneer LX88, KF LS50's and SVS SB2000's, to a 2-channel setup with Peachtree 220se and pair of GoldenEar Triton One's.

I'm loving this current setup and have been contemplating upgrading to the 105.

If I could go back in time I'd probably have bought the 105 with the Peachtree 220 power amp, using the Oppo as the preamp. But with my current setup I don't really know I'd see a huge improvement? The Peachtree uses the ESS Sabre 9022 and overall the system sounds great.

I should probably stop thinking about upgrading and just enjoy the music right! :)

Cheers guys

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Miles said:
bigboss said:

Hi all, thanks for the responses. In reading this it says the audio performance between the two via HDMI out are identical.

So it's probably safe to assume performance between the two via the digital optical and coax outputs is also identical.

Yep I know all about the additional bells and whistles of the 105. Amazingly multi skilled. I have a Peachtree 220se and I'm feeding my Apple TV audio directly into the amp, with picture going to the TV via HDMI.

My Oppo 103 audio feeds directly into the amp via coax, with the picture going straight into the TV via HDMI.

I've recently downgraded drastically from a 5.2 setup of a Pioneer LX88, KF LS50's and SVS SB2000's, to a 2-channel setup with Peachtree 220se and pair of GoldenEar Triton One's.

I'm loving this current setup and have been contemplating upgrading to the 105.

If I could go back in time I'd probably have bought the 105 with the Peachtree 220 power amp, using the Oppo as the preamp. But with my current setup I don't really know I'd see a huge improvement? The Peachtree uses the ESS Sabre 9022 and overall the system sounds great.

I should probably stop thinking about upgrading and just enjoy the music right! :)

Cheers guys

From your link.

"The BDP-105 features improved sound quality from its analog audio outputs with its implementation of dual 32-bit ESS Technology digital-to-analog converters, a toroidal power supply, and two sets of dedicated stereo analog outputs (balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA) for 2-channel enthusiasts. Customers who do a great deal of critical music listening using a very high end, analog connected system will benefit most from these additions."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts