Opinions on Pioneer AV receiver and B&W speakers for surround

nigpd

Nov 18, 2006
Visit site
My friendly local independent has put together a suggestion for a surround system to complement my imminent purchase of a plasma TV (either Pioneer 428XD or Panasonic 46PZ85 - but that's another story!). The room size is 4m x 3m

The suggestion is

B&W M1-B's front and rear (£125 each)

B&W ASW610 subwoofer (£400)

Pioneer VSX-LX60 receiver (£800)

total price £1700

There is much receiver posting on here about Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon but not much about Pioneer receivers. Are they a quality option to the aforementioned makes?

Is the speaker suggestion a good one? For the budget, are there other options that would provide a better listening experience?

Thanks in advance for your opions and help

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd take a listen to the KEF 3005SE system as well if you're after style speakers. I love my B&W setup, but I think the KEF package may be a little better than the B&W set up above. Listen first to see what you think. I think the KEFs are available for £900 as well giving you the same system total with the Pioneer. I'd also audition the Onkyo 875 amp with these speakers as well if you can as this will give you a better idea of what the Pioneer is like.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've tested the next model up in Pioneer's range (among several of its siblings to appear in our Buyer's Guide) and while it (and the LX60) are excellently equipped receivers, they just fall short of the all-out excellent of the Onkyo models.

To use an athletics metaphor, it's like being Roger Black back when Michael Johnson won every 200 metre race - you can break every personal best/national record, but you're following a champion in a slightly different league!

Pioneer receivers also have a very forceful delivery that you may/may not like - all depends how 'in your face' you like your movies/TV. Again, that's not bad, but a matter of taste - and a reason why auditioning kit is so crucial.

The B&W speakers you mention are actually sold together as the MT20 package, a previous Award winner but now no longer quite the best you can buy at @£1000. That'd be the KEF 3005SE - just more muscle, speed and refinement than the B&Ws.

It's the subwoofer that makes the most difference in those package - B&W's superb MT30 package uses the same M1 satellites but includes the superlative PV1 subwoofer. But then it does cost £1500 as a package....

I'm assuming, also, that you're after a style-based sub/sat system for your speakers? If you're willing to put up with more traditional-looking speakers you'll get more for your money - with movies and especially with music, if that's something your system's going to be used for. Something like the Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom 5.1 package (@£800) would be a step up in all-round quality.

Any more questions, please shout, but i'd suggest getting auditioning!

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

The B&W speakers you mention are actually sold together as the MT20 package, a previous Award winner but now no longer quite the best you can buy at @£1000. That'd be the KEF 3005SE - just more muscle, speed and refinement than the B&Ws.

It's the subwoofer that makes the most difference in those package - B&W's superb MT30 package uses the same M1 satellites but includes the superlative PV1 subwoofer. But then it does cost £1500 as a package....[/quote]

Clare - Re your above comments, if the KEF3005se is better than the satellites for the B&W, would you get better results mixing the KEF satellites with the PV1 subwoofer?

Also for an average size living room in a 1930's semi, would standard speakers make a big difference over style speakers?

Cheers

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
There isn't a sub-£2000 speaker package we've heard (and many above that amount) that doesn't sound better with the PV1 underpinning it. We often swap it and other subwoofers in and out of systems to see how well packages are gelling together and what's contributing most to the overall delivery. having said that, the sub in the KHT3005SE is very decent and a good match for the satellites- it's not a particular weak point.

And as for standard vs style speakers - you'll hear the benefits of the former in any size room, especially for music. We're not saying style speakers are bad - in instances like the B&Ws, KEF and Tannoy Arenas, for example, far from it - but you are paying a style premium.

nigpd

Nov 18, 2006
Visit site
Thanks guys, you have certainly given me food for thought. I'll get the auditoning wheels in motion and take a listen of the KEFs and the Tannoys with the Onkyo 875 driving.

Let you know how it goes

nigpd

Nov 18, 2006
Visit site
[quote user="FoxJA"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]

It's the subwoofer that makes the most difference in those package - B&W's superb MT30 package uses the same M1 satellites but includes the superlative PV1 subwoofer. But then it does cost £1500 as a package....[/quote] Clare - Re your above comments, if the KEF3005se is better than the satellites for the B&W, would you get better results mixing the KEF satellites with the PV1 subwoofer? Also for an average size living room in a 1930's semi, would standard speakers make a big difference over style speakers? Cheers[/quote]

Ive arranged to listen to the Onkyo 875 paired with the KEF 3005SE tomorrow (I'm all excited lol)

In a similar vein to the question above, what are the thoughts about combining the B&W M1's front, PV1 subwoofer and the wireless rears from the KEF5005.2? The reason I ask is that "wires everywhere" isnt going down too well at home. I suppose I could always look at using the KEF wireless solution together with the 3005SE's or with the B&W MT-30 package??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts