Opinion please of best surround speakers for RX Z11 receiver

macd

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm fortunate enough to have acquired a Yamaha RX Z11 and am about to build a system around it. Can anyone offer me opinion of best speaker set up for surround. Aiming at around £5k budget.Always liked the sound of B&Ws. Only component I have already is a Paradigm DSP 3400 sub. Thinking only going 7.1 set up. Want sound to be as good as it can be for music and film. Thanks.

macd

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
come on guys - you lot really are the experts and I need help

Given the Z11 is worth £5k I've set budget £5k for speakers so they are similar in quality - but at that price I can get good used prices and am looking at B&W 802D or Meridian DSP 5200's - any users with any of these combo's?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Meridian DSP speakers require a digital input which I am not sure you would get from the Z11.

Meridian speakers are all powered so a Z11 wouldnt really be needed for its amplification - ideally you need a meridian processor which has SL or Coax digital outputs across 7.1

I also dont think the B&W speakers you suggest would be best of an AV amp?

What has made you buy stereo speakers and use an AV amp? I assume you were looking for a 5.0 kit?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
macd said:
Given the Z11 is worth £5k I've set budget £5k for speakers so they are similar in quality - but at that price I can get good used prices and am looking at B&W 802D or Meridian DSP 5200's - any users with any of these combo's?

I would avoid the 800 series as they will be too demanding on the Z11. The Yamaha is a very capable amplifier, but everything has its limits, and you're better off getting the best out of driving lesser speakers properly than underdriving more expensive ones and hving them perform to a fraction of their capabilities.

For the Z11, I'd say the CM series is more of a compatibility match if you want to stick with B&W, or there's the Monitor Audio Gold range, KEF R series, Sonus Faber Venere range, or the PMC Twenty series.

macd

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks - i'm maybe more a music lover but really enjoy films and I wanted to get the best set up for both - although I could separate the systems - so am open to suggestions - I havent sourced the speakers yet - so based on what you're saying and what others have said, looks like both my early thoughts are a bit much for the Z11 anyway - i'm tempted now to look at B&W CMs

Other bits already soyrced are Pioneer BDP-LX91

Already have Linn LP12 deck

Hi macd

Nice one :) as the DSP-Z11 is an excellent amplifier. Out of interest what colour is your DSP-Z11 please?

If you can add a power amplifier later on (such as a Plinius Odean, Bryston 9BSST, etc.) then still look at the 800 Series. If so, then in the meantime try and crossover the sub to the main speakers as high as you can get away with. This is will help minimise the workload on the amp.

What is the size of your room?

Anyway, I've had superb results using the DSP-Z11 with ATC monitors. Curved SCM19's, C3C and curved SCM7's or curved SCM40's, C3C and curved SCM7 are also worth bearing in mind. Alternatively Focal JM Lab Aria 926, CC900 and 906's are also worth a look as they work well with Yamaha AV amplification.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

macd

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks - all good info

Its a silver Z11 and I fancy the idea of adding the power amp sooner than later -and keep the high end audio I like. Will look into the alternatives you mention as well just to keep open mind.

I have a simple surround set up in the lounge but its just using Mission M52 main, M5C and M5DS rear surround with Paradigm SE - driven by Anthem MRX300 and Onkyo SP309, Loewe Connect 3D TV - and the sound from them is surpisingly clear. Music via rega Planar 2, RB300 and Linn K9, plus Cyrus CD6. But this time I'm going a good bit up market I hope.

The room isnt massive but at 15' x 14' its only function will be music and film

regards

macd

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
As well as whats been said - has anyone been successful with Tannoy's - I'm tempted by whats on offer and would like to know which would suit a surround set up - again looking to keep high end audio if possible

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts