John Duncan

Well yes - which bit is 'amen' to, the yays or the nays?

Actually, forget that, I'm not getting involved..........
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]great post by the man. I especially liked...

[quote user="Scooter123"]What amazes me is the reviewers who seem to be perfectly reasonable and intellegent will buy into stuff that any good engineer will tell them is completely bogus[/quote]

[/quote]

WHF take note eh?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
im sure this thread generally, and my contributing and bumping it again, cant end well. but anyway - first post in which section? im just getting the main board page with loadsa diferent sections, and there isnt even the slightest hint in this thread as to what that thread is about.

John Duncan

[quote user="al7478"]im sure this thread generally, and my contributing and bumping it again, cant end well. but anyway - first post in which section? im just getting the main board page with loadsa diferent sections, and there isnt even the slightest hint in this thread as to what that thread is about.[/quote]

A fiver that you could guess though

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
im guessing cables? Does that mean i owe you a fiver now...? Assuming im right of course? I do enjoy reading a good cable debate. partly because ive no experience, so cant get involved, so jsut enjoy kicking back with me popcorn. and choc digestives.

A

Anonymous

It would be interesting to hear what the people of WHF towers think of this - they claim to have heard a difference and so this is reflected on our opinion of the products...however I would buy some products still, for peace of mind purposes more than anything else - remember, I'm still using Maplin biwire cable and I'm happy with the results!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]so jsut enjoy kicking back with me popcorn. and choc digestives.[/quote]

Nudge, Nudge...JD is here...(whispering) hoooob nooobs...

John Duncan

[quote user="al7478"]im guessing cables? Does that mean i owe you a fiver now...?[/quote]

Very good. Where do I send it?

[quote user="al7478"]choc digestives.[/quote]

No, no, no, no, no. You were doing fine. You had been courteous and receptive to courtesy. You had established trust with the embarrassing truth about how you enjoy a mass cable debate, and now this ham-handed segue into chocolate digestives. It won't do.

A

Anonymous

It all sounds reasonable. I like this bit "It's amazing the capacity for the human mind to "adjust" it's perception to meet our expectations". I guess my point is if the human mind can think it sounds better then the 2k is spent on that rather than a physical item.... I like the idea of cables, wouldnt spend that much but if spending £200 on an interconnect makes me think it sounds better, who cares if it physically improves anything or not, 80% of hifi is in the mind. Oh and 93% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

A

Anonymous

So have we really got the definitve answer to the eternal cable debate?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Melovehifi"]after years of debate the answer was in the mind....[/quote]

Yep. Hi-Fi is whatever you make it!

Does that mean I can finally get my JVC out of the dusty cupboard??? 14 BAND EQ HERE WE COME! Bring back the loudness button, flashy Flouroscan power meters and the joys of wiring four sets of speakers on one set of terminals!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Melovehifi"]sweeeeeeeet...[/quote]

Yep sir, and all wired by a bit of bell wire. That's how hi-fi should be...

A

Anonymous

It's ironic. I just ordered a bunch of parts for more of my beloved DIY cables. Although I freely admit to relishing the snobbishness of saying "made my own bleeding interconnects" more than any percieved sound benefit.

I'll note that I'm an electrical technician in the making (at school for it) and my father's an engineer and a physicist according to his degrees, he reckons interconnects may make some minor difference (much less than 200 pounds worth) but concurs on the power cord theory. I should like to hear a technical rebuke on this from WHF, I feel like they wouldn't recommend expensive power cables unless they felt they could stand up to us on some scientific high ground.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="al7478"]im guessing cables? Does that mean i owe you a fiver now...?[/quote]

Very good. Where do I send it?

[quote user="al7478"]choc digestives.[/quote]

No, no, no, no, no. You were doing fine. You had been courteous and receptive to courtesy. You had established trust with the embarrassing truth about how you enjoy a mass cable debate, and now this ham-handed segue into chocolate digestives. It won't do.[/quote]

Sorry. Is it the writing you object to or, as i suspect, the subject matter? im sorry, but my tastebuds, according to extensive blind tests, prefer choc digestives to hob nobs.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Well yes - which bit is 'amen' to, the yays or the nays?

Actually, forget that, I'm not getting involved..........
emotion-5.gif
[/quote]

Its the later, John.

[quote user="fr0g"]great post by the man. I especially liked...

[quote user="Scooter123"]What amazes me is the reviewers who seem to be perfectly reasonable and intellegent will buy into stuff that any good engineer will tell them is completely bogus[/quote][/quote]

fr0g, precisely my point!

[quote user="Melovehifi"]It all sounds reasonable. I like this bit "It's amazing the capacity for the human mind to "adjust" it's perception to meet our expectations". I guess my point is if the human mind can think it sounds better then the 2k is spent on that rather than a physical item.... I like the idea of cables, wouldnt spend that much but if spending £200 on an interconnect makes me think it sounds better, who cares if it physically improves anything or not, 80% of hifi is in the mind. Oh and 93% of all statistics are made up on the spot.[/quote]

Melovehifi, atleast this is something all of us might definitely agree!

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

An excerpt.

"...is a specialty magazine targeted to a particular sub group of audio enthusiasts...the audiophiles...the crazy uncles...the guys willing to stack coins on the edge of their speakers and place wooden blocks under their speaker cables, all in effort to step closer to an illusion that no matter how closely it can get to the real thing, it never quite strips away that last layer and remains an illusive goal that we continue to pursue."

I think this explains all the crazy ideas around.

A

Anonymous

I KNEW something was missing. I need wood under my cables! How could i forget!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts