Online magazine please.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
It's coming! We're in the middle of a massive redevelopment of our current website, and will be launching the new-look whathifi.com this summer. It will include more than 1000 product reviews online, videos on how best to set up your system, an advanced search function with our comprehensive new database enabling you to search for product reviews by brand, star rating, price and tech specs, plus there'll be daily news, blogs, and of course our ever-popular forums.

So please be patient. We know there's massive demand for an online version of the magazine, and we want to make sure it's the best in the world. So I'm working night and day with the editorial team and our website developers to make it so!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That's for us to worry about, not you. Don't fret, we have a business plan!
emotion-2.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
That's for us to worry about, not you. Don't fret, we have a business plan!
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

I wasn't worry as such Ms N, my brain was just ticking away as in

"How would I do it?" kinna way.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]It's coming! We're in the middle of a massive redevelopment of our current website, and will be launching the new-look whathifi.com this summer. It will include more than 1000 product reviews online, videos on how best to set up your system, an advanced search function with our comprehensive new database enabling you to search for product reviews by brand, star rating, price and tech specs, plus there'll be daily news, blogs, and of course our ever-popular forums.

So please be patient. We know there's massive demand for an online version of the magazine, and we want to make sure it's the best in the world. So I'm working night and day with the editorial team and our website developers to make it so!
[/quote]
Fantastic news, look forward to seeing it. Keep up the good work folks

A

Anonymous

Great news and I am sure it will be a complete hit with overseas as well UK based readers. No reason a mag that reports on hitec equipment should not be in the modern world cyber space. Keep up the good work trust me its well worth the read.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I would like to know how this will be funded?

Is the site going to be overwhelmed with advertising? Will there be limited access to certain areas of the site requiring payment? Will subscription to the mag entitle the subscriber to full access to the website? Will the forum remain open access?

Lots of questions, I know. However, WHFSV is in the business of making money. And I am wondering how this venture into the online mag will pan out. Clearly, it needs to be done. But what is the strategy for making it cost effective?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Blimey, it's like Dragon's Den up here!!

It'll be free access to all areas of the site - Forums, reviews, How Tos, News etc.

Yes, there'll be advertising, just like in the mag, but not "overwhelming".

I'm leaving the numbers to the ad-guys upstairs - they've done this kind of thing before (whatcar.com, Stuff,tv) and know exactly what they're doing.

We'll just keep delivering the expert, independent advice that keeps our worldwide audience growing!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Clare. I'll take my business head off now.

Just trying to voice concerns that I and probably others have. Gives you the opportunity to reassure.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Please be assured the entire business plan for our future online development will be submitted to the Forum for approval before we allow Mr Clough to make another move.

Yeah sure...
emotion-4.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We've been discussing the magazine's online development for several years now, so believe us, we've thought about this long and hard! And as Clare says, we have a huge amount of experience online with our other magazines such as Autocar, What Car?, Stuff, FourFourTwo etc so we're not rushing headlong into this in a moment of madness!

Rest assured, the 'suits' upstairs wouldn't give us the money to develop the site if they didn't firmly believe there was a solid business case for it. And no, there won't be a subscription - as now, it will be free access for all.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Please be assured the entire business plan for our future online development will be submitted to the Forum for approval before we allow Mr Clough to make another move.

Yeah sure...
emotion-4.gif

[/quote]
Don't get me wrong, I do not expect permission to be sought from the forum. However, I suspect that many of the signed up members are also subscribers to the mag and it would be foolish for the editor to risk alienation of the readership.

Have to be careful here, but I would not expect too much opposition from current forum users if payment was expected. Afterall, I pay for the mag, so why shouldn't I pay for the online content. I would be disappointed if I had to pay additional charges over and above subscription to the mag. I would also expect the forum to be free and funded by advertising.

Just my view. Happy to be corrected.

A

Anonymous

I would have no issue if payment was required so long as we get the same benifits as the mag.How about a window that shows who is on line. Good luck with the role out just make it soon.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sharples"]

How about a window that shows who is on line.

[/quote]

There already is a window showing who's online - at bottom of Forums home page, here...

A

Anonymous

Call me old fashioned if you like but I like reading a magazine in the comfort of my castle!! So are you going to offer both?

A

Anonymous

Whats that saying about the wood from the tree. I suppose you will now tell me there is a print friendly option. Sad i know but when I go shopping I print the comments and take them with me for ref.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts