ONKYO TXNR905 (SILVER) £799.95

A

Anonymous

Grabbed the 875 myself last week, does the 905 add much? From the features list I see that it has added media streaming, but only via Windows Media connect, which sucks. So it's not really a feature.

How're the Quad Lites musically? I'm looking at pairing them with my 875 but I'd like them to be at least acceptable for music..

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
For the sake of you who've already bought the 875 - "nothing to see here, carry on".

For anyone else with £800 to spend on an AV receiver - "fill your boots!"!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
radicalbyte:From the features list I see that it has added media streaming, but only via Windows Media connect, which sucks. So it's not really a feature.
Agree with Clare, but just so you know, you don't have to use Windows Media connect for the streaming - it works fine with my NAS which is Twonky Media enabled and I'm pretty sure it would work with my Mac if I ever got EyeConnect up and running.

A

Anonymous

How do you become a VIP member and any chance the Onk will be available in Black for this money?

A

Anonymous

So they are! I wonder if I can get them in Black for that money. I used to prefer silver but these days and especially with the Onks, I think they actually look nicer in Black.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I don't see the folks being too keen on having them in view. They're hardly visually appealing. (Ok, I like them, but think of it from the 60 year old perspective - different matter entirely). So they'll be indoors. But the sides of the cabinate will have angled slats or something similar to allow free movement of air. It'll have to, and maybe a couple of fans, towards the top, to remove hot air and encourage cool air from below to enter the enclosure. I know the Onkyo's run hot, but I think with sufficient air movement it should be ok. Would you agree with that Clare?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, it's the cooling that's key.

Still don't understand why you're so worried about the colour (silver or black) if they're going to be out of sight, though
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Well, I just think that these Onks in particular look nicer in Black, and I think if hidden behind anything that's partly opaque, they'd be less visible in a dark colour. But hey, it's only a slight preference!

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I got a black one from Richer Sounds last week for £789.99 with a bit of haggling, a good deal for rrp £1400 receiver!

I'm not bothered about the networking as it's hooked up to a Home Theatre PC, but it's worth a bit extra over the 875 because I believe it has seperate power supplies to video and audio.

Having said that it's not as well built as the Pioner VSX-AX5i it's replacing and the stereo playback isn't as dynamic either, I'll give a bit longer to run in before passing final judgement!

A

Anonymous

How long have we got before these run out and we're back to the new model at full price?

Any views on this?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pete321:
I got a black one from Richer Sounds last week for £789.99 with a bit of haggling, a good deal for rrp £1400 receiver!

I'm not bothered about the networking as it's hooked up to a Home Theatre PC, but it's worth a bit extra over the 875 because I believe it has seperate power supplies to video and audio.

Having said that it's not as well built as the Pioner VSX-AX5i it's replacing and the stereo playback isn't as dynamic either, I'll give a bit longer to run in before passing final judgement!

If only they weren't so damn tall! I have 18cm max on my shelf.

A

Anonymous

Good thing we're building the shelves to accommodate the items!

Bought a Black one and a Silver one for £800 each from Richer Sounds today. Last one of each in the store. Really looking forward to the eventual weekend in the new year spent setting them up.

Long haul ahead with the build, but bargains acquired. :)

A

Anonymous

Yup, setting up a cinema room and also a kitchen / living room with a further zone 2 atrium area. Needed 2 amps. Was going to get one 905 and a more modest one, then thought, well, with the big discounts, may as well get two of the same. And it's a much cheaper route than the one box solutions, like the Arcam Movie Solo or Naim NVi or Meridian. Should sound better too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts