Onkyo TX-SR607 vs Sony STR-DA2400ES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first post so am a newbie. I need help in choosing between these two receivers.

I had an Onkyo 605 before and am looking for an upgrade.

I like a bold dynamic sound with some refinement.

Can the Sony match the Onkyo?

Regards

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
How much have you seen them both for, these days?

Onkyo will be bolder, but Sony would add much needed refinement, especially if using for stereo and movie use...

Denon AVR1910 would be even better, and probably in the middle of both in terms of boldness and refinement....

A

Anonymous

They are both available for £249.95 at Richer Sounds. Which will be better value for money?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Think I'm right in thinking the Sony was seen as the better product, but can be a tad bright in some systems.....what other equipment do you have?

The Onkyo will be more of the same, in terms of boldness and grunt that the 605 possessed....(I'm an ex 606 owner)

Hifix supposedly has a pristine condition ex display Denon AVR1910 for £299, if that tempts you?

I did demo the 607 and AVR1910 simultaneously, and the Denon was a much clearer, detailed sound, in my opinion.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Of course, it's best to go and listen with your own ears when buying this kind of equipment....

Which is why I ended up spending an extra £300 on the Denon AVR2310.....

A

Anonymous

I have checked on the hifix website and cannot see the offer for the Denon 1910.

I intend to use the amp only for movies. I have a Jamo A102 speaker system and a 40 inch Sony LCD TV.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
It's worth listening to a few receivers....the Sony you mention is long in the tooth and I wouldn't waste £300 on it. There are some bargains to be had if you shop around. Check out the reviews on this site as a starting point and then work out what inputs etc that you'll need in the future.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorry John...it came up on a search engine, but I agree with you...it's not on their site...

With that speaker system, the amps you have mentioned would be seen as a maximum price purchase.....(RRP for Sony £500 and Onkyo £450)

You looked at the latest Sony receivers.....namely the New 3D ready STR-DH810?

It has a very favourable review on page 8 of the latest magazine, plus is a bit more future proof.....all for £300...

Just a thought.....

A

Anonymous

I'm really not into 3D, Pete.

By the looks of things, I think it's edging towards the Onkyo. The Denon 1910 is still pricey, must be a great amp.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Onkyo's and the Jamo's pair very well and i would suggest you stick with the brand - cerainly over the 2400. With a little push on your budget you could get the new Onkyo SR508 ( last years 607 with 1.4 ) .

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Frankly, I'd doubt that either the 607 or 508 would be a significant upgrade over the 605 in terms of sound quality, and would suggest the OP saves a while longer for something more upmarket, perhaps as a 'last year's model', able to give a really substantial improvement.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Like the Denon AVR2310.....
emotion-4.gif

Or perhaps look into an improved speaker system that would warrant the better receiver.....

A

Anonymous

I have auditioned both the Onkyo and Sony and I chose the 607. I think it is a better amp for my set-up.

Thank you all for your help.

A

Anonymous

Hi Pete,

Sorry for the late reply. To answer your question, the 605 was a great amp - first HD amp in the world!

The 607 offers a lot more and in terms of sound quality, it is even better. It has the same bold, solid, and immersive sound quality that I love so much for my movies and it does everything better.

I love the 607. I'm glad I chose this over the Sony!

TRENDING THREADS