Onkyo TX-NR609 or TX-NR708

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new Onkyo AV receiver.

I can either get the TX-NR609 or the TX-NR708.

But each have features that I will loose out on if I go for the other, they are as follows:

1) The TX-NR708 is rated around 10W/channel (at 8 ohms) higher than the TX-NR609
2) The TX-NR708 has a much worse video up-converter than the TX-NR609. The TX-NR708 has the Faroudja DCDi cinema chipset, while the TX-NR609 has a Marvell Qdeo chip.
3) The TX-NR708 is available now. I have to wait 4 weeks for the TX-NR609
4) Price-wise, they will be equal where I live

I play all my video from my PC using avi files, mkv files and blue-ray. All these things are played out of my HDMI cable from my PC, so I think the software on my PC is doing the up-scaling anyway on the lower quality videos.
But, on the other hand, if I decide to hook up my SD def TV to my receiver one day, surely the TX-NR609 will give me far better video clarity.

So between all these points, its a real toss-up. Does anyone have advice which to go for, is the up-scaler really going to impact a lot, will the extra 10W impact the sound?

Thanks a ton!

A

Anonymous

Assuming you would buy a new amp without swapping it every month for a new one, what's the hurry? Why not wait for the 709 to be released later on this year? It might serve all your needs without having to compromise on one or the other :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts