Onkyo TX-NR609 - an amp for all seasons?

T

the record spot

Yes, I know, AV amp in the wrong section...well, maybe, but this bit of kit shouts out at me on a grand scale. The predecessor (the TX-SR608) enjoyed a great review in HFW when Noel Keywood reviewed it a year or so back. This one offers network capability, a truly mindboggling array of features and as near to future-proofing as you could ask for at this level. If the sound quality meets the spec, it'll be one of the amps of the decade (though I imagine that it's probably just about qualified for that already).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It certainly is the best specced AV receiver out there at £500 at the moment. With AirPlay on the way, what doesn't it do?! There's also a wireless dongle on the way too for those who like wireless stuff. Onkyo have really improved their audio quality over the past couple of years - the last demo I did with an 808 was a bit of an eye opener as far as 2 channel audio quality goes.
I didn't get a chance to hear it at work last week as I was away, but I've been hearing it all week while working on the Onkyo/Monitor Audio stand at the Gadget Show, but I wouldn't say I can comment properly on it's audio quality yet as it's not the best place to hear it with all the ambient noise going on. But I will say we've had a few complaints about the noise.....the offending disc was AC/DC's 1991 live gig at Castle Donnington....which I have to say sounds rather good on the 609 driving a Radius R90HD10 pack!

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
PP: Yes, very much so.

GA: Not yet, have you?
Of course not, but then I'm not the one extolling its virtues.

T

the record spot

I don't understand the point of your post.

I've posted simply as the more I see AV amps, the more I see them delivering more of what most people want or need in their homes that fit in with their systems better than a one-trick pony stereo amp delivers and this one could be worthy of investigation (I had a similar opinion of the Yamaha RX-V667 to a lesser extent a few months back).

The 609 appeals as its internet enabled, carries Spotify amongst others, is DLNA enabled and handles video upscaling for high resolution up to 4k as well as the more traditional hi-res audio formats like SACD, DVD-A, etc. The 608 was well reviewed by Noel Keywood as said so I'm hoping the tradition continues and the means to assign amps is an additional and welcome bonus. Maybe it won't sound as good as the Sansui I have, but then, there hasn't been another amp costing up to £1300 of the ones I've heard that did anyway!

A

Anonymous

You think that AV amps now sound as good as Stereo amps?

That might be true, but I'd want to listen first before suggesting it as an alternative for HiFi. My experience tells me that, unless things have changed remarkably in the last year or so, there isn't an AV amp that can hold a candle to a proper HiFi, as in stereo, amp.

That's why I was curious to find out if you'd heard one.

T

the record spot

Grottyash said:
You think that AV amps now sound as good as Stereo amps?

Not sure where I said that (as in, I don't think I did), but the potential is there. Plus, the breadth of functionality AV amps offer (note the 609's spec to name but one) leaves stereo amps standing. Given so much is now available through what is effectively a media centre with many TVs, internet capability, streaming off the web, Blu-Ray audio (thanks to Rush for delivering Moving Pictures in BR), handling the SACD/DSD signal, likewise DVD-A and so on.

Grottyash said:
That might be true, but I'd want to listen first before suggesting it as an alternative for HiFi. My experience tells me that, unless things have changed remarkably in the last year or so, there isn't an AV amp that can hold a candle to a proper HiFi, as in stereo, amp.

That's why I was curious to find out if you'd heard one.

Well, that might be a matter of opinions and although I've not heard it yet, I'd like to get round to it soon.

A

Anonymous

That's the bit I don't follow. What added functionality does an AV amp bring to a stereo system? It doesn't, given that stereo systems only have two speakers.

I'd also add that quite a few stereo amps are ethernet or wireless capable, and many have built-in DACs. If you want AV, then maybe the Onkyo is just the ticket, but if you want HiFi, you buy a good stereo integrated. Surely HiFi is about sound quality, and an AV amp stacked with AV functionality but compromised in the sound department amp isn't the way forward.

For me it's still horses for courses. I personally wouldn't sacrifice sound quality for an amp that has all the bells and whistles I'll never require.

A

Anonymous

i reckon any half decent stereo amp would be better than the onkyo.

T

the record spot

What added functionality does it bring? You miss the point, or you've missed the spec sheet as there's a bunch of stuff on the 609 that a stereo amp just doesn't have. Yes, a few (very few) have onboard DACs but beyond the XTZ and HK models out there, there's not many I'd be interested in buying, and those that are internet capable are fewer still just about.

If you want "hifi" then you can go straight to an AV amp - play SACD or DVD, stream computer based audio via the onboard DACs, biamped and straight your system, or use the Blu-Ray audio compatibility (see the BR Rush Moving Pictures for instance). If you want your idea of hifi, you can't. One does not preclude the other however (i.e. that AV does not give great audio and only a stereo amp does that) and it's a fallacy to suggest it does.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Grottyash said:
My experience tells me that, unless things have changed remarkably in the last year or so, there isn't an AV amp that can hold a candle to a proper HiFi, as in stereo, amp.

That's a very broad statement.

An Arcam AVR600, in stereo direct, biamped to decent speakers (eg Kef Ref) and with a decent source, sounds very impressive.

It takes a big investment on a stereo amp to get a worthwhile improvement. I know as I've been there.

A

Anonymous

well i've had 5 different stereo amps now and all of them sounded much better than my avr with stereo music..

no offense meant rs but it's my belief that avr's cant compete with stereo amps in terms of sound quality..

daveh75

maxflinn said:
it's my belief that avr's cant compete with stereo amps in terms of sound quality..

I used to think that, until recently, when i demo'd several modern A/V amps and settled on the Onk 808. I now think the theory of an A/V amp only being able to perform as well as a stereo amp a third of it's value is fast becoming another hifi fallacy!

T

the record spot

maxflinn said:
well i've had 5 different stereo amps now and all of them sounded much better than my avr with stereo music..

no offense meant rs but it's my belief that avr's cant compete with stereo amps in terms of sound quality..

None taken Max, but I found Noel Keywood's review interesting for the 608 last year (which changed my views on AV amps) and the new range looks good. I've not yet found an amp that beats the 717 though, so going up to £1500 is out the question. We also use the TV, stream from the computer, have many boxes and although actives were once a consideration, I'm not so sure that gives me a way out in terms of meeting our needs when it comes to other formats, hence the likes of the Onkyo or the Yamaha RX-V1067 are kind of where we're at now.

maxflinn said:
i reckon any half decent stereo amp would be better than the onkyo.

I've always heard these debates, also, about CDPs and DVD players. Most have said that CDPs will outgun DVDs for music, but my personal experience is to the contrary. True, there is a difference... minimal. Likewise, I believe the same with multi channel receivers and dedicated integrated amps.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
Grottyash said:
I'd also add that quite a few stereo amps are ethernet or wireless capable, and many have built-in DACs.

They are? They do? News to me...
Shouldn't be. Try the Peachtree Audio website.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
I've always heard these debates, also, about CDPs and DVD players. Most have said that CDPs will outgun DVDs for music, but my personal experience is to the contrary. True, there is a difference... minimal. Likewise, I believe the same with multi channel receivers and dedicated integrated amps.
Fair enough, but aren't you looking for a new CD player at the moment, rather than a DVD or Blu ray player? I run a Blu Ray, by the way, into my DAc. Also, I may be wrong here but didn't you purchase fairly recently an integrated amp?

I'd be interested to hear whether compared it with some AV Receivers, and what made you choose to stick on the traditional path.

recordspot, I don't doubt the article was convincing. I've never heard of the reviewer myself, butI'd hesitate believing (or recommending) until I'd tried the item/s under review. Maybe I'm getting a bit conservative in my old age!

T

the record spot

You needn't go that far, Onkyo's A5-VL has a DAC at £249, Harman's HK990 £900 and XTZ's £625 effort both have them too. After that I'm toiling. Likewise with web connectivity. Peachtree Audio is an example of one so far and none of the above offer HD/DTS Master Audio capabilities, DSD streaming and all the rest. So, listening to the new Moving Pictures in its Blu-Ray format is a non-starter. Likewise with upsampling capabilities. But then, stereo amps aren't the purpose of this thread and citing three or four that deliver but one of the additional features that the AV equivalents do misses the point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts