Onkyo TX-8050 plus cheap speakers - do your research!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, it's late - I know, and I've had a few ciders, courtesy of my friend Chalky who makes the stuff beautifully. But seriously I'm sat here listening to my Onkyo with my (very cheap) Mission 751.

Listening to one Modeselektor track after another via Spotify - this is very bass challenging music. This set up, which cost me about £350 tops (shoddy cables cost little to nothing), sounds incredible.

Guess my point is to all you folks out there looking for a "budget" set up is that it is VERY possible to get great SQ for less than £500.

I dread to think how good a set of 752 would sound on the end of this, and as I have previously stated, a pair went for £31 on ebay not so long ago.

Can't wait to see how this sounds via my new Monopulse A and MF A1001 - but in the meantime, more than happy!

So, do your research and snag the bargain!

Dread to ask! I'll do it anyway. If you're looking for a suitable amp for the MonoPulses why have you purchased the Onkyo & Missions? Please don't respond with "why shouldn't I?" :)

I'm totally lost now. Are you planning to keep the Onkyo with a view to powering the MonoPulses? or is a different amp still on the cards?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Dread to ask! I'll do it anyway. If you're looking for a suitable amp for the MonoPulses why have you purchased the Onkyo & Missions? Please don't respond with "why shouldn't I?" :)

I'm totally lost now. Are you planning to keep the Onkyo with a view to powering the MonoPulses? or is a different amp still on the cards?

Well, the Onkyo and 751 are kind of a second system now, but even if they were my main system I would absolutely love them. The combination of functionality and SQ must be pretty hard to beat at the price. Bought them a while ago now, but got pulled towards the Monopulse after listening to a pair at a friend's place - pretty much exactly the sound I have been looking for.

I have used the Onkyo with the Monopulse and was pretty gobsmacked at how well it drove them - however, it did start to lose grip at the upper end of the volume scale. Which is why I bought the Musical Fidelity A1001. Unfortunately I've had ****** all time to set up and listen to the A1001 with the Monopulse. Cno is dying for me to review it all. Well, probably not dying.

Just wanted to post, as I've read a lot on the forum about people thinking that they have a tiny budget when actually their budget of £500 or thereabouts is enough to put together a really fantastic system. Also, had had a few ciders.

omnibeard said:
plastic penguin said:

Well, the Onkyo and 751 are kind of a second system now, but even if they were my main system I would absolutely love them. The combination of functionality and SQ must be pretty hard to beat at the price. Bought them a while ago now, but got pulled towards the Monopulse after listening to a pair at a friend's place - pretty much exactly the sound I have been looking for.

I have used the Onkyo with the Monopulse and was pretty gobsmacked at how well it drove them - however, it did start to lose grip at the upper end of the volume scale. Which is why I bought the Musical Fidelity A1001. Unfortunately I've had ****** all time to set up and listen to the A1001 with the Monopulse. Cno is dying for me to review it all. Well, probably not dying.

Just wanted to post, as I've read a lot on the forum about people thinking that they have a tiny budget when actually their budget of £500 or thereabouts is enough to put together a really fantastic system. Also, had had a few ciders.

Okay, after reading about your zeal for the MF/MonoPulse and now saying Onkyo/Mission, it threw me.

I'd be interested to hear how the MF sounds with MP speakers. Think most of you know I love the sound of those speakers, only wished, from a personal point of view, they looked more conventional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts