Onkyo SR605 to Sony STR DN850 Worth Switch?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 Award Winning Amp, although I've never really been that impressed with it - the sound has never really blown me away.

Anyway, it's a few years old now (I think around 7), and I'm seeing the Sony STR DN850 is highly recommended and so commentators have been talking about how much sound quality has come on in the last few years.

So I'm wondering if this is worth the switch?

Will there be a huge increase in quality, my main reason for switching as the Onkyo's hardly been used and so in perfect condition, or am I wasting my money?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Answered my own question as I could wait no longer and so decided to go with the Sony DN850.

Absolutely superb!!!

Powerful, rich, dynamic sound that sounds a million miles away from the Onkyo which was thin, lean and cheap sounding in my opinion. I'm now hearing detail I never heard before, there's far more being sent to the rears and the atmosphere and general sound in the room is now like a real cinema with so much real detail including low level background music in the presentation build up / menu screens that simply wasn't there before. Vocals are totally crystal clear as if the speaker is in the room with you.

Can't praise it enough. Totally turned my cinema around (using £1K KEF Egg speakers from around same time as the Onkyo).

Best present I've made to myself in 10 yrs + (and I've bought a fair few things in 10 yrs).

I just sat on the sofa smiling and giggling like a little kid as the walls vibrated to the sub and dynamics (had to back the settings off at the low end a little).

If you're thinking of buying a Sony DN850, follow Nike ie Just Do It!!!

Sliced Bread

My first 5.1 receiver was a Sony, quite s few years ago now. it cost me £500 and I eventually replaced it with the Denon 3802 at £800 which was considered the star at the time. I still miss that Sony...it was superb. The only thing that stopped me buying Sony again was the customer service, but the receiver itself was brilliant.

Enjoy!

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I've just had the same thing from Nikon (albeit different product).

USB cable that came with a £130 camera is no longer working. Camera a few weeks old. Contacted Nikon support, can you send me a new USB lead - no. You can buy one for £9.99 but we don't cover them under warranty. Explained camera only a few weeks old so not complying with Sale of Goods Act and could take whole thing back for an entire new one in which case it would come back to Nikon via the wholesale chain and cost them an entire new camera package for the sake of a 50p lead. Reply - not bothered. It's fine to swap the entire camera with the retailer if you want to!

So now have to go back to the shop and get an entire new camera and a entire new camera package goes to waste for the sake of a 50p lead. Then companies wonder why overheads are so high!

Anyway, back on the main topic, hopefully the new amp won't cause any issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts