Onkyo PR-SC 886

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Clare,

If multichannel audio is a priority (as it is to me), would a dedicated pre-amp A/V processor like the Onkyo PR-SC 886 be a better option than an A/V receiver such as the Yamaha 3900 or the Onkyo 906? I could get the three of them for more or less the same price (well, the Yam is still a bit cheaper than the two Onkyos).

More generally, how come the Onkyo 886 costs nearly the same as the Onkyo 906 for essentially identical specs?

Thanks for your very much appreciated help.

A

Anonymous

G'day mate,

You obviously have a dedicated Power Amplifier, since you are talking about a dedicated Surround Processor/Pre-Amplifier or an A/V Receiver serving Pre-Pro duties.

I used to own an Integra DTR7.8 A/V Receiver to serve Pre-Pro duties (an Integra DTR7.8 is pretty much an Onkyo TX-SR875 minus the Onkyo's superb video chip-set, and a few other niceties, otherwise, is pretty much the same) partnered to a NAD Masters Series M25 7-channel Power Amplifier.

Recently, I upgraded to a Marantz AV8003 Surround Processor/Pre-Amplifier. I could have purchased a mid-to-higher-end A/V Receiver for the same money that I spent on this unit. However, I am more a 'purist' and wanted a dedicated Processor/Pre-Amplifier, as I did not want to waste the amplification-stage of an A/V Receiver. Plus, the whole idea of a separates system is to keep the sensitive pre-amplification stages from the hulking power supplies of a power amplifier.

I am extremely happy with the massive improvement the AV8003 has made on my system. Plugging my Cyrus CD 8 SE CD Player via analogue in-puts (obviously) to the Marantz has resulted in much better 2-channel play-back than with the Integra.

Multi-channel surround sound, whether playing movies on Blu-ray Disc or concert Blu-ray Discs or SD DVD's with the garden-variety Dolby Digital or DTS offerings, has improved significantly, with the Marantz pre-pro providing a 'warmer' type of sound to the mix, and far more enjoyable - to me, anyway.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dantan,

Thks for your comments. Very interresting, but I'm not really surprised actually. You are in a different league with the Marantz pre/pro 8300. It's definitely at another price point than the Onkyo 886. FYI, I can have the latter for "as little as" 1,500 euros (+/- £1,600) and the Yam 3900 for ?1,300 (+/- £1,400)...

TRENDING THREADS