Onkyo Decision

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello. I know I'm new here, but I hope someone here can help me please.
I've recently ordered an Onkyo 606 from Exceptional-AV. 
However, they have stated that they probably won't be getting anymore and I can choose to upgrade and for the same price get the 577, or for the trouble, they can offer me the 607 for £50 less.

Can anyone tell me what the biggest differences between the two is, I want to get some advice before I make a decision.

I'm also not too clear on why some say they upscale.

Does this mean since the PS3 automatically upscales DVD's, that when it goes through the Onkyo, unless upscaling is a feature on the receiver, it will not upscale the picture? 

If it helps, this is the equipment that I have. PS3, HD-DVD Player (EP-30), Sky+ Box, regular DVD player, XBox 360 (with HDMI), Nintendo Wii. 

A

Anonymous

Any advice at all please?

I have to make a decision tomorrow on which one.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Firstly, you are correct about the reciever and the upscaling.
As for the receiver - the new model upgrade they suggested for the same price seems like a good deal, personally I had the '606' and was not that impressed with it so I pipped for the '875' and have not looked back. You should still be able to get it for about £499 on their site as a refurb and that is a great price as it used to be £1000!!!
All this of course depends on you set-up and the speakers you will be using as if you have lesser ones then the '606' or '577' will do you fine, but bear in mind that stereo playback is no where near the '875'. Cheers and hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I was going for the particular model, was that it was part of a bundle with the QAcoustic 1010i speakers. I've already placed the order, as I found the 606 to be ideal to what I wanted with my setup and budget. I guess the 607 would be a good bargain then with £50 off and being a newer model.ÿ

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
As far as i can tell although i'm sure i will be proved wrong the only difference, is that onkyo have removed the s-video sockets on the back & replaced them with two extra HDMI sockets, one on the front, also the front has changed on the 607. IMO the 606 is a better model.